• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow the past comes back

that bolt just disarms it. There are 4 small nuts that hold the actual bag assembly in - they come through the back of the steering wheel. But the bag will not go off if you have the arming screw backed out. The arming screw has a mushroom tip on it, with a plastic bar clipped through the narrow part of the shank that covers the top two airbag mounting nuts so you can't try to remove the airbag without disarming it. That's why it won't actually unscrew all the way.

If I was still wheelin' my 96 I would probably just back the arming bolt out, the bag is harmless at that point and it takes 30 seconds to screw the bolt back in when you get to the pavement. ALWAYS unscrew and retighten the arming bolt from outside the vehicle with your arms through the window (that's what Chrysler suggests, anyways.)
Good point. It makes more sense just to disarm it, and then at least you still have a padded wheel center.

went out and wheeled with a group of them last weekend, the xj buggy was in the group
2011-12-04_11-18-09_124.jpg

2011-12-04_11-19-01_327.jpg

Back