• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow the past comes back

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
How many remember when I was building a tube chassis XJ with a narrowed front clip and Rockwells. I ended up parting it out and bugging my current xj instead, the guy I sold the chassis to sold it to someone else and he sold it off to someone else who used his XJ to finish it off
2011-11-23_17-09-40_819-1.jpg

2011-11-23_17-09-58_746-1.jpg

2011-11-23_17-10-21_329-1.jpg

2011-11-23_17-10-32_949-1.jpg

2011-11-23_17-10-52_706-1.jpg

2011-11-23_17-11-16_958-1.jpg

specs are
Coil link all the way around
4.0lt ax15,np231-300 combo
60 front 14 bolt rear welded on both ends
Hydro steering
and 44's

I had Fox air shocks on all 4 corners when I was building it, it has plenty triangulation, the frame end is Blue torch fabs mounts for rockwells and it was plenty solid with those under there. I just finally got pics from a freind who knows the guy that finished bulding this about 2 years ago. He sent the pics to me today. I started to build this back in 2006 and changed my mind and buggied out mine instead

IIRC I remember seeing that thing out at Stoddard Valley.

my second favorite part is that he didnt blow it up yet

What does it take to set one of those off? Is the sensor in the column?
Yes, it's entirely self-contained and mechanical. Inertia I think. It takes a fair jolt to set one off, and I've bent a front bumper bracket without blowing it.

I'd still take it out if I were using it in a rig like this, I think, but would NOT recommend this to the current owner unless you are sure he also knows the correct way to disarm it.

ive blown up 2 of them while wheeling. they can be disarmed pretty easily though. loosen the small bolt on top under the plastic cap.

ive blown up 2 of them while wheeling. they can be disarmed pretty easily though. loosen the small bolt on top under the plastic cap.

I did this to mine recently, and the bolt does not come out. It loosens up until it SHOULD just come right out, but i must be peened over so it can't be fully removed. Did you actually remove this bolt, or just loosen it? Can you remove the air bag once this bolt is loosened, or does it need to be fully removed?

I did this to mine recently, and the bolt does not come out. It loosens up until it SHOULD just come right out, but i must be peened over so it can't be fully removed. Did you actually remove this bolt, or just loosen it? Can you remove the air bag once this bolt is loosened, or does it need to be fully removed?
You just back it out as far as it goes, do not remove. Then just unbolt airbag and remove. I still don't trust it very far, and when I took mine out (stripping down a 95) I made sure I was well out of its way as I did this.

idk how i feel about the coils being mounted on the control arms. and it doesnt look triangulated enough for the lack of a track bar. but then again... i know nothing of rear coild geometry.

F'in cool though.

trophy trucks have coilovers mounted to the arms.

I highly doubt it, I built it after I moved here to West Virginia and the guy who owns it now lives about 30 miles away from me over in Ivy

Did you have a full-bodied rig on full widths circa 2004?

that bolt just disarms it. There are 4 small nuts that hold the actual bag assembly in - they come through the back of the steering wheel. But the bag will not go off if you have the arming screw backed out. The arming screw has a mushroom tip on it, with a plastic bar clipped through the narrow part of the shank that covers the top two airbag mounting nuts so you can't try to remove the airbag without disarming it. That's why it won't actually unscrew all the way.

If I was still wheelin' my 96 I would probably just back the arming bolt out, the bag is harmless at that point and it takes 30 seconds to screw the bolt back in when you get to the pavement. ALWAYS unscrew and retighten the arming bolt from outside the vehicle with your arms through the window (that's what Chrysler suggests, anyways.)

What does it take to set one of those off? Is the sensor in the column?

Tellico Lower 2... Sean Rose aka OneTon back then 4ward now IIRC. Blew the airbag out of his Mom's xj. Scared the shit out of a lot of us till we figured out what happened.

Back