• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would this work??

I agree. the Grade 9 lock staples are a bit on the spendy side, but it's nice not having to replace them every 874 miles.
I find that fully welding the diff cover on adds significant strength to the housing and the extra material weight contributes to lateralized stability of the unsprung assembly.

I find that fully welding the diff cover on adds significant strength to the housing and the extra material weight contributes to lateralized stability of the unsprung assembly.

:thumbup:

I don't know...my countersunk thumb tacks seem to be doing a good job of adding strength...

Do you think it would help if I used an aluminum foil truss? I have access to a bunch of sheets of those. Obviously welded with a spool of paper clips to prevent burn through.

I have been told one should use grade 1 all copper hardware for installing coil-overs as the bolts will never seize to the tubing this way. It apparently also improves flex and adds a few horsepower.

This will work, but you need to tighten till the just start to strip,then back off a quarter turn. You might want to look at the 10 bolt option. Almost 25%
less work.

Also if he cross threads them they won't back out, it works just as well as LockTite and it's free!

I don't know...my countersunk thumb tacks seem to be doing a good job of adding strength...

Do you think it would help if I used an aluminum foil truss? I have access to a bunch of sheets of those. Obviously welded with a spool of paper clips to prevent burn through.
This would work but you'll need a 80% Nitrogen 30% ether mix for the welder to avoid an enlarged heat affected zone, which can fry the bushings in the control arm mounts.

This would work but you'll need a 80% Nitrogen 30% ether mix for the welder to avoid an enlarged heat affected zone, which can fry the bushings in the control arm mounts.

What?!

What?!

Nitrogen is for race cars, it's what NOS is made of.

Back in the day they used trans anular methane to weld things but molecular instability often resulted in the shart effect.

Ugh. Nothing worse than getting the shaft effect in the rear end.

To me that looks like a completely different piece of hardware.

This is a coil spring:
extension_drawing.gif

Who died to justify bringing this back up. I had to read the whole thing all over again. Still makes me laugh.

Back