• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would anyone recommend a companies interior cage?

from the looks of the AH pics it looks to me that you lose the use of the rear seat. that is one feature of D&C's cage that I like. Still have the use of the rear seat for the kiddies......

Actually the Asshogger cages are defined by what the owner wants, custom.

If it's a completely custom bolt in from AH that doesn't require welding, and allows for the use of a rear seat, then I'm totally up for that cage. Getting rid of the need for welding just takes away another expense for me.

I am also looking into getting a cage. price set aside what did everyone think of the rockhard 4x4 parts cage? you don't lose any functions, welding doesn't seem to be required, and it had all those options of different pieces like the rear headrest/harness bar.

I believe some (if not minor) welding is required on that cage. It does seem pretty awesome though if you are into all the accessories that it can offer.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
just tool a look at their cage, anyone use it with a 2 door?

Yes, I have their 2 door version but it is not perfect I was working with them on modifing it but gave up.

The rear spreaders were too long, no big deal. I bigger problem is that the center cross-brace/seatbelt bar, is back too far to wrap around the seats, and I think you would also lose you rear seat if you use it. I am going to put in a x bar and a straight bar at some point.

I got pics I can email if someone can post.

disclaimer- I am not trying to come off as an ass.

About the Rockhard cage, the front "legs" look scary to me. I see those collapsing easily. Imagine the edges of the "leg" and your leg when it does collapse.
I do see them as an easy way to market a bolt-in kit but it causes me to look in another direction.

The rockhard cage uses pretty much the same setup as the poison spyder custom TJ cage. That tj cage is tested well enough, and I haven't seen anyone with complaints about that kind of setup. I can see your point, but it's been tested.

I too am not sure about the legs of the Rock Hard.

dsc02059.jpg

notice that the Poison spyder cage is bolted to the body at about knee level.

dsc03156.jpg

Hard to decide from photos if I'd trust, like Rock Hards design.

But I've seen the D&C cage. And it's the one I'm planning on, so far.

The Asshogger cage looks like a great cage, but I'm betting it has a great price. Then again, I've been wrong before, worth checking into.

Daryl

xjj33p3r said:
Hey you've got a pretty good point about the PSC cage. I never noticed that they bolted strait to the body like that. Oh well, guess I'll be looking at other cages then, not like I was wanting that one to begin with. I just found one more company that makes XJ cages for $425. http://www.tennesseeoffroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3318

i was gonna mention that one, but if i recall this is the one that people referred to the A-pillar down tubes as "can openers" (as in your knees!), as i think they come down similar to the rockhard cage (i notice they don't show a photo of it from the dash down).

from looking at the TOR cage, it doesnt look as complete as the D&C, or the AH. the contents are:The kit includes the following:
- 2 Front Legs
- 3 Cross Bars (Front, Middle, Rear)
- Dash Bar
- 2 Pair Grab Handles
- Foot Plates (Front/Rear)
- Seat Belt Harness bar
- Instructions
- Sticker

I still say that D&C is the best cage for that price........

thanks for posting up some pics. i just still need access to my back seat. os thats what i was worried about.

xjj33p3r said:
So I guess you bang your knees a lot with that cage?

no, in fact i'd guess that you'd be less likely to hit your knees, but i think the concern was if/when you do hit your knee you'd be in much worse shape (i.e. on the edge of a 1/4" steel plate as opposed to against 1 3/4" tube).

i thought i had saved some pix somewhere on my powerbook of the TOR mounts, but can't seem to find them...

i agree that at this price point i think the D&C kit is hard to beat. i personally know probably a half-dozen guys running that cage (of course i'm sure it helps that they're made local to me/us).

terry

I think I'm going to end up getting the d and c cage in the future. The asshogger cage was hella nice, but this one seems to be more of what I wanted in a cage for the price I'm paying. I figure that I should only spend the big bucks on an exterior cage, and try to focus on my safety for now.

Back