• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ swap formulas?

Even with no lift, or lowered, crossover steering is an upgrade over stock inverted Y.

There are other 'brake only' kits out there that don't upgrade the steering or trackbar geometry.

Never considered that even with no lift the crossover steering is an upgrade. Looking forward to seeing some pricing.

Really don't understand not offering it in a "brakes only" kit.
If you aren't running much lift, you really don't want or need to go OTA track bar and it drives up the cost unnecessarily to do so.
Just throw a ZJ pitman arm in the box and leave the steering stuff out..?

Well first off, just putting a ZJ pitman arm on without moving the track bar to match is a recipe for bump steer but to answer your question, quite simply, I don't see a market for a brake only kit. If you're not running much lift you're also probably not running very big of tires, which means spending a bunch of money on bigger brakes is a fairly low priority for most. To do the swap as "brakes only" really wouldn't save a ton of money either, as the bulk of the cost is in all the OEM parts like unit bearings, knuckles, calipers, etc. To me that adds up to very few customers.

For me it's a cost issue as well. In order to do this at all I have to order enough parts for at least 15 kits right off the bat with no idea how they are actually going to sell. Experience has shown that for every 10 people on a forum who say they are interested one will buy. So for me to risk many thousands of my own money I need to aim for what looks to have the largest market. There are a lot more people looking for better steering geometry than bigger brakes, so that's the road I'm following....with the bonus of bigger brakes.

Even with no lift, or lowered, crossover steering is an upgrade over stock inverted Y.

After lowering mine, I can't agree more now. I thought a stock XJ was fun to street drive, but now with the WJ stuff its a freaking blast to push into corners!

Before my black jeep became a buggy, it was on 35's and built stock axles. I will agree, I originally did the WJ swap on that for the steering gains, bigger brakes was the added bonus.

For me it's a cost issue as well. In order to do this at all I have to order enough parts for at least 15 kits right off the bat with no idea how they are actually going to sell. Experience has shown that for every 10 people on a forum who say they are interested one will buy. So for me to risk many thousands of my own money I need to aim for what looks to have the largest market. There are a lot more people looking for better steering geometry than bigger brakes, so that's the road I'm following....with the bonus of bigger brakes.

Been watching this from the start, and I have to say a complete kit that takes all the work out of sourcing parts (w/o the headache of figuring stuff out the hard way) is extremely appealing. I'd definitely be in for one, even if I've got to save up the $$$ for it over a couple of months.

Well first off, just putting a ZJ pitman arm on without moving the track bar to match is a recipe for bump steer
Well, sounds like you have your reasons not to do a brake only kit. No worries. This bit, though, about bump steer from the ZJ arm, is incorrect. The WJ drag link location is 3/4" off from the XJ location - the ZJ arm is there to bring it back to factory geometry. Verified on my old rig. WJ knuckle only = bump steer. WJ + ZJ pitman = correct.
Anyway, sounds like a great and well thought out product you are doing the R&D for. If I ever get back in the XJ game I'll look for it.

I was just getting started with gathering parts for this swap. Guess I will wait and see what this kit is made up of and the price first.

Old CobraMarty is on CherokeeForum, huh. I guess he needed to go somewhere after he was banned from NAXJA.

Sorry I don't know him or need the big brake concept he came up with after my waggy front/passport rear D44 swap, but the use of stock parts was cool and it seemed more affordable than the WJ brake swap. BTW I really don't need brakes at all until I get a new motor.

Back