• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle Swap

To kinda answer my own question I went back to the 4x4wire site and reread: "use a .230" spacer which will re-center the axle shaft U joint between the ball joints on the WJ knuckles and allow the WJ brake rotor to center within the calipers."

So if Im reading this correctly, I will need the spacers even though I dont have 4wd. Thoughts?

Correct, because you are using XJ unit bearings, you'll still need the spacers. I'm guessing that XJ unit bearings are a little shorter/different than WJ hubs.

One thing maybe I'm missing is if I go to convert to 5 on 5 with the WJ rotors and hubs, are these spacers still needed?

The spacers do two things - they center your axle shaft u-joint and space out the hub...I'm not sure if you can run WJ hubs with XJ axle shafts - WJ's use a CV style shaft setup, and I don't know what the spline count is....or if it even uses that type of outer shaft....

Ahhh. Makes sense. Something else to consider/research. thanks

The spacers do two things - they center your axle shaft u-joint and space out the hub...I'm not sure if you can run WJ hubs with XJ axle shafts - WJ's use a CV style shaft setup, and I don't know what the spline count is....or if it even uses that type of outer shaft....

Same spline, offset, etc... You can use WJ hubs to convert your D30 to 5 on 5.

So to use all WJ parts from the knuckle out would not require the spacer... cool

I thought the spacer was used because a XJ hub was used.

Sorry I'm not a "Do as we say" person, I like to understand things. :D

So your saying the hub flange to ball joint centerline distance varies between XJZJTJ, and WJ. If thats the big difference, I got it.

As far as master cyl goes, if you have a later XJ with the dual diaphragm booster, I didn't there was a difference, but If you have an older one then you would do yourself a favor and upgrade.

So your saying the hub flange to ball joint centerline distance varies between XJZJTJ, and WJ. If thats the big difference, I got it.

As far as master cyl goes, if you have a later XJ with the dual diaphragm booster, I didn't there was a difference, but If you have an older one then you would do yourself a favor and upgrade.

I moved a WJ setup from a 94 to a 00. Both with good breaking systems. Noticeable difference in the masters.

Okay, that goes against other things I read, but thanks for the clarification.

Back