• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring harness and instrument cluster swap

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My son picked up a 2000xj, plain jane model, no power anything. The wiring harness was cut under the dash and the steering column was busted thanks to some thieves. We pulled a wiring harness, steering column, and the upgraded instrument cluster with oil pressure, volt, out of a 1999xj. The 99 had power windows, door locks, and the key fob to remotely open the doors. When we swapped in the wiring harness we checked the pin location and wire color with the old one, everything matched up. There was a plugin on the on the 2000 that was not used and was tapped up in the upper right under the dash. On the 99 this plug had a silver metal box about 2.5"to3" wide maybe 2" tall and about a 1/2" deep, we left this on thinking it may have something to do with the inst. cluster. When we turn the key on everything lights up the motor cranks but no fuel going to the fuel rail. Does this have anything to do with the doner jeep having a remote lock and his not having remote locks? My next step when I have time is to unplug that little metal box discribed above. We did pull all the door, hatch and ignition key cylinders so he has one key not sure if thats relevant. The jeep sat for a year before we bought it, so the gas tank was dropped a the old gas was dumped out. Is there a safty switch in the tank that shuts off the pump when it's turned on it's side? Sorry for the long winded post just trying to give all the info. Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Back