• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch line safety - weighting the cable

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
While doing Adopt-A-Trail maintenance with the SoCal Chapter this weekend I had to winch a couple of trees off the trail. Here is a good example of using a weight on a winch line to increase safety in case of line or rigging failure. In this example there is a simple jacket on the line when the rigging fails, this was enough to interrupt the momentum of the cable and keep things safe.

This strap broke when I was pulling with all the power my winch would give me (the Jeep was actually creeping forward with all four wheels locked). The winch is rated at 8000 pounds and was rigged with a straight line pull through a snatch block then back to the Jeep. This rigging gives a 2:1 mechanical advantage so, in theory, this was a 16,000 pound pull (heavy tree!).

When the 20,000 pound strap broke, the steel winch line, snatch block, shackle, and cable rebounded back toward the Jeep with deadly force. Once they hit the weight, a simple NAXJA jacket, the load simply stopped and dropped to the ground.

I've always known to weight winch lines but this is the first time I've seen such a clear example of it working with something as simple as a normal jacket.

Here is the video example. Enjoy.

While doing Adopt-A-Trail maintenance with the SoCal Chapter this weekend I had to winch a couple of trees off the trail. Here is a good example of using a weight on a winch line to increase safety in case of line or rigging failure. In this example there is a simple jacket on the line when the rigging fails, this was enough to interrupt the momentum of the cable and keep things safe.

This strap broke when I was pulling with all the power my winch would give me (the Jeep was actually creeping forward with all four wheels locked). The winch is rated at 8000 pounds and was rigged with a straight line pull through a snatch block then back to the Jeep. This rigging gives a 2:1 mechanical advantage so, in theory, this was a 16,000 pound pull (heavy tree!).

When the 20,000 pound strap broke, the steel winch line, snatch block, shackle, and cable rebounded back toward the Jeep with deadly force. Once they hit the weight, a simple NAXJA jacket, the load simply stopped and dropped to the ground.

I've always known to weight winch lines but this is the first time I've seen such a clear example of it working with something as simple as a normal jacket.

Here is the video example. Enjoy.

sweet video!

did you guys get that thing off the trail?

sidenote: unless you were on the very first wrap of your winch, its more likely that was a 10k or 12k pull. the pulling force of the winch drops ~2k for every wrap.

sweet video!

did you guys get that thing off the trail?

sidenote: unless you were on the very first wrap of your winch, its more likely that was a 10k or 12k pull. the pulling force of the winch drops ~2k for every wrap.

Yes, it's pulled to the side, we had to use two winches to do it, I'll post video later. It did not break at the relief cut as we hoped.

And actually, since I knew coming into it that this was a hard pull, I was on my last wrap.

Yes, it's pulled to the side, we had to use two winches to do it, I'll post video later. It did not break at the relief cut as we hoped.

And actually, since I knew coming into it that this was a hard pull, I was on my last wrap.

:yelclap:

Nice video capture,glad to see things work as planned,Really points out the reason to use the safety procedures,

This is why you should only use synthetic rope

Why should you only use synthetic rope? Clearly the video shows that using a cable is perfectly fine provided you use some safety precautions.

Pink words for sarcasm. I run cable.

Back