• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will Jeep ever build a "Car"?

*cough* Darky, that'd be "station wagon" not "car"... thanks :spin1:

I think anyone who says a JK isn't a real jeep is just green with jealousy.

Real Frame...XJ never had this. Dana 44's...XJ's never had these. Factory lockers...XJ's never had these.

never said it wasnt a jeep its just ugly in stock form....but i plan on getting one for my wife...and running the hell out of it.

They actually had a prototype, several in fact, called the jeepster, http://jeephorizons.com/news/jeepster_050205.html

It was kick ass, I got to move one around at the camp jeep I worked at from the carrier truck up through the tent city into the display tent. The most interesting thing I liked, at 6'5" I fit and those of you who are smaller have no idea how hard it can be find vehicles we fit in.

Cher, put the model airplane glue away.

Jeep died when Chrysler bought AMC..
OR when the CJ wasnt made anymore,
OR when they put square headlights in the new "wrangler"
OR when they made the Coil spring suspension and put out the TJ
OR.... I know its all an opinion.
Im gonna say it died when they put a seat in the Jeep made of something other than plywood, foam rubber and canvass.:roll:
I personally think the Comp-ass was the worst. a FWD car designed to corner the market for 30-something professional females. ( thats what the press release stated when it was released) That is a car car car car...

OH YES dont forget the "surrey" look it up. GAAAAAAAAAYYY
jeep_gala-surrey.jpg

Last edited:
There's nowhere to go anymore. Everybody lives in HOA neighborhoods and condos. All the land is developed or closed or has paved access roads. Jeep is just responding to market pressure. The planet is full. At least they still make the wrangler, for now.

try a lil farther north next time....good stuff up here. gotta love not seeing your neighbors.....for miles.:farmer:

Car? Yeah - a while ago.

DJ-series - stock RHD 2WD. Sounds like a "purpose-built car" to me.

Jeepster/VJ? Most were 2WD. Commando C101/104? An awful lot of those were 2WD as well, IIRC.

If you want to go by characteristics, Kaiser had a dalliance with IFS in the early 1960's on the Gladiator and Wagoneer (J-series and FSJ.) They were still (mostly) 4WD - but we mustn't forget those. (Oh - that was also the first dalliance with an overhead cam engine - the 230ci I6OHC "Tornado" engine. Funky thing about it - one cam lobe was supposed to have operated both valves on a cylinder. I'd love to see one of those cams!)

Now, we've got the Compass & Patriot - which are rebadged ChryCo models, and can probably barely be considered "crossovers."

The Commander (XK) was a definite "crossover" - while it was the size of a light truck, it was built primarily for road manners and road handling. I wouldn't mind one, but I'd want an SLA front throw in instead of IFS (I'm not a huge fan.)

The WK? IFS. Wandering from "SUV" to "Crossover" as we speak.

It's nothing new, and it's the "following the trend" that usually ends up diluting a good line or brand after a while. It would be better (methinks) if they'd stick to the core values of the Jeep brand and leave all of the "experimental car" crappola to the Chrysler brand - after all, Jeep was the only real moneymaker for Kaiser and AMC, and it carried Willys until Kaiser bought them - but up until about ten years ago, Jeep had stuck to their roots. SLA fore and aft, engines that made useful power without having to be overwound, useful cargo and towing capacity, and light, nimble vehicles. I've been able to do a smooth U-turn in my XJ on a narrow residential street without too much trouble, and without bumping kerbs - without IFS - and I didn't mind the road manners of the thing at all (but, I bought it as a truck, to use as a truck. If people buy a truck wanting a "car-like ride" and "car-like handling," then they should just have bought a damned car instead.)

Car? Yeah - a while ago.

DJ-series - stock RHD 2WD. Sounds like a "purpose-built car" to me.

Jeepster/VJ? Most were 2WD. Commando C101/104? An awful lot of those were 2WD as well, IIRC.

If you want to go by characteristics, Kaiser had a dalliance with IFS in the early 1960's on the Gladiator and Wagoneer (J-series and FSJ.) They were still (mostly) 4WD - but we mustn't forget those. (Oh - that was also the first dalliance with an overhead cam engine - the 230ci I6OHC "Tornado" engine. Funky thing about it - one cam lobe was supposed to have operated both valves on a cylinder. I'd love to see one of those cams!)

Now, we've got the Compass & Patriot - which are rebadged ChryCo models, and can probably barely be considered "crossovers."

The Commander (XK) was a definite "crossover" - while it was the size of a light truck, it was built primarily for road manners and road handling. I wouldn't mind one, but I'd want an SLA front throw in instead of IFS (I'm not a huge fan.)

The WK? IFS. Wandering from "SUV" to "Crossover" as we speak.

It's nothing new, and it's the "following the trend" that usually ends up diluting a good line or brand after a while. It would be better (methinks) if they'd stick to the core values of the Jeep brand and leave all of the "experimental car" crappola to the Chrysler brand - after all, Jeep was the only real moneymaker for Kaiser and AMC, and it carried Willys until Kaiser bought them - but up until about ten years ago, Jeep had stuck to their roots. SLA fore and aft, engines that made useful power without having to be overwound, useful cargo and towing capacity, and light, nimble vehicles. I've been able to do a smooth U-turn in my XJ on a narrow residential street without too much trouble, and without bumping kerbs - without IFS - and I didn't mind the road manners of the thing at all (but, I bought it as a truck, to use as a truck. If people buy a truck wanting a "car-like ride" and "car-like handling," then they should just have bought a damned car instead.)

So in other words, before the Germans took over Chrysler and fawked the whole damn company up;)

Back