• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who's coming?

I won't be able to be there this year either. Hopefully, there's more chance I can make it back for 2012 in a rental again. I miss the Fall Fling.

Thanks Charles, I'm looking forward to it. If the house build stops me going for another year at least I will have the 30th anniversary to aim for.

thats to bad vince, i always look forward to wheel with people who can't drive on the correct side of the jeep :D

it makes spotting much more fun.

We'll miss ya Vince.

I think I will be going, but this is my first time to moab. so I think it will be a more scenic trip then wheeling. what trail do they run?

Welcome, you'll love it. There's usually a mix of trails from scenic to hard. If you have any questions just see me, I'm Mike in the Woody :)

I think I might be able to convince my old people to go, if not, then I think I'm SoL.. I know my dad is dying to go down to Moab at some point because in the 13+ years we've lived in Utah and the 25+ years he's been involved with Jeeps we've never been down...

Plans are to have my XJ 100% good to go well before October, but hey, it's a Jeep - I'm sure there will be something new to fix by then! Currently I need to do a front end swap, fabricate some new rear shock mounts, mess around with bumpstops, flush my new cooling system, etc..

As far as being capable enough, what's your guys' opinion? I've never wheeled with any of you so here are some specs and a few pictures.

2000 Patriot Blue Sport:

(Driveway shot before I 'used' it off-road)
img8208k.jpg

- 174k miles, AW4 / NP242. (Uninstalled) HP D30 from a 99 (thanks again Ryan) and an 8.25 with a really worn out factory LSD. Stock 3.55 gearing.

- 32x11.5" BFG A/Ts that have taken a pretty good beating.. Full size spare.

- 4"ish lift - RE coils and drop brackets, I'm not sure on the rear, it's some combo of leaves and an extended shackle, they flex pretty well.

- (New, uninstalled) Pro-Comp ES3000s

- JSK Quick Discos (I wish they were the 'quicker' ones, I'm working on modifying mine for ease of use).

- ExtremeAire 12v hard-mounted compressor, pushes 4cfm.

- JKS 'SuperNerf' Sliders.. Kinda bent up after their last beating out at Little Moab.

- Con-Ferr roofrack for carrying my spare tire and holding my lights.

- For recovery points I have stock tow-hooks up front and a nice beefy hitch out back.

One of my favorite shots of it so far:
dsc09947ld.jpg

And this is how it sits now, minus fender flares (they all ripped off) and some pretty bent up sliders. Oh, and a new radiator, the old one exploded last time I was out.. The JK makes fun of my little XJ all the time..
img0056tr.jpg

I hate/love the fact that my dad could take his JK down to Moab on a whim without any worry.. He has full lockers, sway bar discos, 5.38 gearing, 4:1 Tcase, crap loads of armor, plus it never breaks!

Thanks for reading through all my crap, I don't want to be a burden on the trail with breakdowns if you think my junk will break. Aren't there lots of bypasses or ways around the harder obstacles on a lot of the trails? (minus Pritchett Canyon of course..)

you'll be fine in moab, just stay away from pritchett canyon, behind the rocks and area BFE. there are many trail options all week, everything from easy graded dirt roads to stuff most wouldn't dare drive.

so come down and experience moab with other XJ's :)

you'll be fine in moab, just stay away from pritchett canyon, behind the rocks and area BFE. there are many trail options all week, everything from easy graded dirt roads to stuff most wouldn't dare drive.

so come down and experience moab with other XJ's :)

I figured that as long as I stayed away from the harder stuff then I'd be fine. Are there many guys that run around the same (low) level of equipment as me?

I hate/love the fact that my dad could take his JK down to Moab on a whim without any worry.. He has full lockers, sway bar discos, 5.38 gearing, 4:1 Tcase, crap loads of armor, plus it never breaks!

Never say never. Everything breaks sometime, the more you use it the closer you get to breaking sometime, and JK's have.

Nice looking XJ. You'll have a great time I guarantee it.

Back