• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which xj to choose

xXseekanddestroyXx

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have two different xjs that i have purchased parts for but only one will get them. the first one is a red 1993 stick shift stock and the other is a 1992 black automatic with the power interior and its a HO. but i cant make up my mind on which one to put the parts on cause i dont know if the stick shift or the automatic is better for offroading. so far i have bought a 4 real front bumper and a rock rats rear bumper, 6" rubicon lift, 35" goodyear mtr, and flowmaster exaust with a headman header. i also wanted to know which axles are better corporate 28 spline 10 bolt or a dana 44 cause i want to run a pair of one of these axles front and rear. thanx

you said that only the 92 is an HO? I have heard that the HO is much better than the renix but i only have driven the HO, so 1 point for the HO. Now, if you were a sports car addict (like me) then i would say stick, but for use off road, some people sware by the auto, and it has a higher tow capacity too. So thats a draw, I like my stick, award one point each. Now color, because it needs to look purdy! I'm a huge fan of red, (my xj is red) so 1 point to the 93.

total
93 2
92 2

umm...
yea... seems like personal preferance to me....

All ’91 and newer 4.0L engines are High Output, so they are both HO. As for stick or auto, both will do fine its just which ever you prefer. Check the rear axles, they should be either a Dana 35 or a Chrysler 8.25”. I’d use whichever one has the 8.25”; it’s a little bit stronger than the Dana 35. The auto will have lower gears (3.55) than the manual (3.07). If you wanted to get real tricky you could swap the axles from the auto over to the stick and use it for off roading. The 3.55 gears are not that deep, but they would be much better than the stock ones the manual came with. The price would be right too, not one penny and a days worth of work. If you still can’t make up your mind on which one to use for off roading, I’d go with the one that has the worst body. No since in denting up a nice XJ.

If they both have stock (original) engines they are both HO..........I am a luxury pig so my vote would go with the power optioned auto..........That being said I am also known as too lazy to shift gears :laugh3:

Actually the auto is almost bullet proof, that's why I would go for the auto.

well i was leaning towards the auto cause of the luxury and it has 150 k miles on it as to were the stick shift has 176 but the stick shift has an chrysler rear end but i was gonna put some d44 or corporate 10 bolts on front and rear. oh and which axles are better the dana 44 or corporate 10 bolts?

DUH !

if you're a man, go for the stick shift

if you're a woman, go for the automatic

:sunshine:

MaXJohnson said:
if you feel the need to prove you're a man, go for the stick shift

Fixed it for ya!

Btw, if you can't heel-n-toe downshift at 120 mi/h while four wheel drifting in an ass-ended N*zi slot car you don't know how to drive a stick.

r@m

p.s. for the humour impaired: that's a joke.

I would say swap the Chrysler axle into the auto and go. crawling with an auto is tons easier and you actually have more power at your disposal because of teh torque converter. At least that was how it was explained to me. I drove my Auto TJ on 3.07's all over the place while friends with the auto's (even with hand throttles) had problems. That said, I really like a clutch so if you do then go manual. I had almost the same dilemna a while back, the decider was that the manual had a puegot transmission and I heard it was a really bad transmission. You might want to verify you have the AX-15 if you do you can't go wrong with either Auto or Manual.

Which do YOU prefer? Stick or automatic? It really is a personal preference thing. You can make arguments either way which is better. I run auto myself, but every 4x4 I had before this particular vehicle was a stick.

People complain about autos not being able to bump started but that is a weak point in a well kitted out and well maintained vehicle. Sticks have better compression braking IF you swap out for a transmission that has a really low first. Stock stuff is not that impressive that way. For stockish equipment I don't really think it matters much. If you want to throw money at that particular problem you can fix the issues with either set up.

Sticks are cheaper to rebuild, etc. But the AW4 used in Cherokees is a really durable unit. You probably won't need to do anything with it while you own the vehicle.

So, IMNSHO, it really is a personal preference thing.

My rule of thumb on which vehicle is which ever is the newest and least miles that you can afford.

As for axles - 30 spline D44 all the way if those two options are the only ones being considered.

HTH

r@m

jeepin_al said:
You might want to verify you have the AX-15 if you do you can't go wrong with either Auto or Manual.

All manuals from mid-'89 on are AX-15 (untill the newer one came in in the late '90s).

So it's still up to personal preference (I refuse to drive an auto - might as well just get a Dodge Caravan and be done with it!)

thooogy said:
All manuals from mid-'89 on are AX-15 (untill the newer one came in in the late '90s).

So it's still up to personal preference (I refuse to drive an auto - might as well just get a Dodge Caravan and be done with it!)
Thanks, I didn't knowthat about the transmission, the puegot was an 87. As for a Caravan, I thought Cherokees WHERE grocery getters. Going from a TJ to a XJ sure is a difference. :)

MaXJohnson said:
DUH !

if you're a man, go for the stick shift

if you're a woman, go for the automatic

I'm guessin' I'm in touch with my feminine side because mine is an automatic...
Paragon11-20024.jpg

i dont like auto.... but i like everything els listed in the 92....from what it sounds like you have a little bit of cash on you...just get the 92 and convert it to a stick shift.. thats what im going to do with my limeted

would it be one hell of a hassle to switch the stick shift from the 93 to the 92? and what do you think would be the best axle setup for me to use cause i was thinking about running the d44 front and rear but give me some better suggestions cause im trying to make this xj a machine!

thooogy said:
(I refuse to drive an auto - might as well just get a Dodge Caravan and be done with it!)

I dont even know what that means....

go auto and leather... It is so much nicer to not worry about shifting, rpms, or anything... throw it in gear and tap the pedal, your crawling.. the stick just becomes a hastle.. and the Auto is way-strong..
for axles, dont even think 10 bolts.. go D44... or bigger... 10 bolts are easy to find because no one wants them... just not worth the work..

you're making a "MACHINE!"?

then get D60's front and rear, go auto, 4.88 or deeper gears. you're gonna run into driveshaft problems with that much lift, so while you're there swap in a 4:1 atlas and heavy duty slip jointed driveshafts, with the heavier u-joints.

if not the d-44 or 9 inch front and rear will be ok with 35's

BTW you're gonna have to cut those fenders to fit 35's or get some big bumpstops. refer to all previous threads containing information on the size lift and proper wheel backspacing you will need to minimize this.

Back