• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Steering Box do you recommend?

priorities!

its a trade off..

03-27-2012+001.JPG

Sort of OT but is there a way to check the free play in a reman box before installing? I replaced my box a while back with a napa reman and as soon at it was in I had tons of free play at the steering wheel. After ripping it back out and swapping for another only to find it still had some free play although not as bad. I've been meaning to do it yet again but thought what if I can check for free play while it is still on the napa counter...

I bought the reman from autozone a few years ago when all three of the bolts that held it to the frame snapped off flush inside my old steering box. I needed the jeep the next morning for work so I was forced to go and buy one.

The first box had really loose steering and eventually started making a popping noise and leaking at the rear seal. The second box has been amazing, it's a lot tighter and only has 1/2" to 1" of dead space while the old reman had a solid 2" of dead space.

No way in hell would I spend more than $100-$200 on a new box and I have a similar set-up as you.

Sort of OT but is there a way to check the free play in a reman box before installing? I replaced my box a while back with a napa reman and as soon at it was in I had tons of free play at the steering wheel. After ripping it back out and swapping for another only to find it still had some free play although not as bad. I've been meaning to do it yet again but thought what if I can check for free play while it is still on the napa counter...

If you take a pair of vice grips and a rag you can clamp onto one of the shafts without doing any damage and then you can see how much you'll have to turn the wheel before the pitman arm starts to move.

I was in a pinch and had to put one on my kid's '97 Sport about 4 months ago. Got it at Autozone for about $105. It's really tight and has worked perfectly. I did also drain the fluid out of the reservoir ran a little new fluid through the pump to flush it before hooking it up to the box with all new fluid. Couldn't be happier unless I got it for free.

I wouldn't spring for such an expensive box. I'd go with a Durango box.

x2 on 99 4x4 Durango v8 snowplow package box. I just upgraded to psc 1800 series high flow pump. This with the dutango box turn my 35s like butta baby...butta!

Does the Durango Box work good with a locked D30? No one has mentioned if it works well while locked up. I have a OE box and pump that works fine on road but as soon as I go off and lock my axle my steering goes to shit.

I'm currently running the PSC 14:1 box. Was pretty expensive but I will say its a heck of alot better than the reman crap I got at pep boys. I battled wobble for a long time with that thing. I'd recommend the PSC. Definitely resulted in tighter steering. Just sharing my experience.

It comes down to what you want and what you're willing to pay for.

Some guys are perfectly happy with Bud Light.
Others want Stone Ruination.

Same thing with steering..

Back