• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Steering Box do you recommend?

My steering box is leaking like a sieve. Here are replacement boxes that I'm looking at. Just for comparison, I listed prices from quadratec. Does anyone have any input? I have a 2000 XJ with 31" tires. I do occasional moderate off-roading. The Jeep is my daily driver so I want something that is very road friendly. Thanks for your input!

Crown
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_06.htm
$479

PSC Motorsports Delphi 14:1 Ratio Steering Gear
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_1019.htm
$529

PSC Motorsports Delphi 12:1 Ratio Steering Gear
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_1018.htm
$699

PSC Extreme Series Steering Gear with Ram Assist Ports
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_1011.htm
$999

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping your XJ for a long time and can afford it, buy a new, big-bore box. Rebuilts are mostly trouble and I hate changing "life-time warranty'' steering boxes. The Crown box is a rebuilt.

After going through several rebuilt power steering pumps and boxes, I gave in and bought a PSC big-bore box and matching pump. That was several years ago and its been trouble-free and powerful. It's a great combination for off-road driving. I had to work a lot of extra hours to pay for it but in the long run, it's been worth it.

It's hard to give advice when Quadratech's site doesn't provide all the specs, are the boxes big-bore or not? Neither of the PSC boxes, shown on the Quadratech site, appear on PSC's site. The model numbers are different.
Both of Quadratech's PSC boxes have fixed ratios, unlike the 13:1-16:1 variable ratio of the stock box or PSC's big bore box. Not sure what difference that would make or why one box would cost so much more than the other.
I would want to get more details before spending than much money.

Last edited:
call and talk to lance at PSC.

he will set you up with the right stuff.

I sent my box to PSC and had them rebuild it. All the goodies, setup for hydro assist, fancy PSC caps, etc. Under $300 including shipping. I don't think I'll ever buy a box again, I'll just send it to them instead.

On a DD wit ONLY 31" tires that see light 4x4 usage.. There is NO valid reason to spend more than the $100-$200 you will pay for a REMAN box. It NOT like that "new" $500 dollar box is going to work better or last longer than a quality Reman, ON a DD Jeep. If this was Trail first or trail only rig, it might make sense. But on a basically stock Jeep getting basically stock intended use, give me a break.

On a DD wit ONLY 31" tires that see light 4x4 usage.. There is NO valid reason to spend more than the $100-$200 you will pay for a REMAN box. It NOT like that "new" $500 dollar box is going to work better or last longer than a quality Reman, ON a DD Jeep. If this was Trail first or trail only rig, it might make sense. But on a basically stock Jeep getting basically stock intended use, give me a break.

Considering the quality of remans that most people are getting, I disagree strongly.

I sent my box to PSC and had them rebuild it. All the goodies, setup for hydro assist, fancy PSC caps, etc. Under $300 including shipping. I don't think I'll ever buy a box again, I'll just send it to them instead.

Just to clarify, you sent your factory Jeep steering box to PSC and they rebuilt it for under $300 shipped? :)

Just to clarify, you sent your factory Jeep steering box to PSC and they rebuilt it for under $300 shipped? :)

iirc they are not rebuilding the small bore boxes anymore. I know they aren't selling new ones.

I bought a rebuilt box off eBay for 120, tapped it for my hydro, and have had great results. I have 37's and drive my jeep on and off-road, and have never felt the need for a better performance, more expensive box.

Yes, its was rebuilt with all their goodies.

iirc they are not rebuilding the small bore boxes anymore. I know they aren't selling new ones.

I've heard this too but don't know for sure, I'd call them.

Yes, its was rebuilt with all their goodies.

I've heard this too but don't know for sure, I'd call them.

I just called about my small bore YJ box. he said the rebuild/tap would be $325-$425. it would take them about 7 days, not including the amount of time it spends in the mail.

I think I'm gonna try westtexasoffroad for $265

We run the PSC 12:1 with ram assist.

After having it, I will never, EVER install anything else in a Cherokee that i own.

Back