• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Hydro Assist Box

JeepAddict85

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at my options, what do you guys recommend.

Sticking to a 37-38" tire size.

I currently have a stock box drilled/tapped for assist, that is blown.
I will be installing a cooler and a remote resi no matter what i go with as well.

My options:

1) rebuild current box (im also picking up a spare box)
cheapest option

2)go with PSC Extreme series assist box:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/PSC-YJ-XJ-TJ-Extreme-Series-Steering-Gear-p-26144.html
Say goodbye to re-manufactured steering gears. PSC brings you the All New Large Piston Jeep Replacement Gear Box. PSC's # 1 Selling Jeep gear Is all new for 2010. Featuring a Large Piston for more brute turning force and a 16:1 Ratio for Tight and Accurate steering. Top it off with PSC's Orginal 4 Bolt Cover and End Cap for the Ultimate Jeep Steering Gear Replacement.
We recommend matching a new pump to your system for the most significant improvement.
Specs:

• 4 Bolt Pattern
  • 16:1 Ratio
  • 3/4-30 Spline Input Shaft
  • 18mm Oring Pressure Fitting
  • 16mm Oring Return Fitting
runs about $570 bux, and i'd probably have to upgrade pump (few hundred more)

they also have a rebuilt xtreme duty for $470

3)AGR Super box
http://www.agrperformance.com/catalog/products.php?cat=101

This steering box is engineered to be the ultimate in bolt-on power steering performance for those vehicles used for more off-road than on road driving. Designed to be the most powerful and nimble steering with the least amount of effort, the SB1 features the largest piston available and a special spool valve to increase turning force. Total Bearing Control locks in the sector shaft for smooth steering. This box combined with an AGR Super Pump will provide the maximum available turning force in a steering box combination. Want more power than this? You'll need to step up to the AGR ROCKRAM* System.

(they dont list the option for an assist box, but they sell an assist kit, so im sure i could get just the box)

just the regular super box runs at $422

4) Howe steering box
http://www.howeperformance.com/rockcrawler-rubicon.htm

what do you guys think? how long should a stock box work w/ assist on 37's and a spool? i am working on making my steering angles a little better as well.

After my experiences with PSC, I wouldn't hesitate one second to purchase from them. Call Lance, he is very helpful and will make sure you are setup correct.

What is your budget? That will really tell you which route to go.
Low/Limited Budget:
- Rebuild and port a stock box, grab an under drive pulley for the stock pump.

Big Budget:
- Call PSC, have them send you their box, and their SP1600 CB style pump kit.

I dont mind spending the money, but ill have to save for it for a bit. For now, i think im going to rebuild the stock box, and see how long it lasts. im guessing the underdrive pulley will help with upping the pressure at lower engine speeds? I would like to upgrade, and really like the PSC box, it'll just take me awhile to save for it. Hoping the stock box will last till i can afford both an upgraded box and pump.

Ive also read about guys modifying the stock pump to push more...anyone done that or had any luck with it?

edit: wait dont you mean overdrive pulley? underdrive would slow it down

Last edited:
You guys are forgetting another option.

For ~$250 you can send your blown up box to PSC to get rebuilt, and they'll install the better components at the same time.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Service-Department.html

Make sure to ask about that as well. If you talk to Lance there, tell him vetteboy sent ya. :D

Here's what it comes back like:

4829948508_c4e40fbe81_z.jpg

They fill in the hole that's usually below the fitting on the right. Then they drill a new hole to match up to the higher-flow valve they install, and braze a new fitting in (the one on the left in that photo). Both are AN-style flare fittings so you'll probably need to get new hoses made, or by the hose in bulk and use the field-serviceable fittings. If you tell Lance what you need to hook it up to your ram he'll help get the right hose & fittings for your application.

If you take out the high-pressure fitting, even on the stock pump:

DSC02843.JPG

You can drill the orifice out a little bit to get some more flow...I have mine out to 3/16" and it works well. I wouldn't go much bigger than that as it'll start cavitating the pump pretty badly.

TY Vetteboy! Now I know what I will do with mine when it blows.

Would using a WJ pump perform better than drilling out the stock fitting?

any specs on the wj pump? what years to get it from, how much more it flows?

edit: nev mind, found the info

Last edited:
Can you please cross post it? Especially if it's info as compared to the stock pump. Thanks a bunch.
sure, here ya go:

really good write up for installing pump on a '95, with lots of pics:
http://www.bsfab.net/?p=152

i think this is the way i am going to go. i also picked up a good sized cooler, that will sit right in front of my Taurus fan, so it should help keep my fluid from getting so hot.

Back