• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box

pezman65

NAXJA Forum User
Hey peeps I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee limited 4 and 1/2 Rubicon long arm suspension. Running 33+12.50. my problem is my steering gear box I believe probably original Saginaw I would like to upgrade and I've heard a lot about the Dodge gearboxes. If anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be great thanks, Pez

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Durango gear is what you'd be looking for. Also need a WJ pump. Make sure you reinforce that area as cracking the unibody is a good possibility. Ask me how I know.....

my steering gear box I believe probably

What makes you come to this conclusion? What is the problem?

There is a lot of misinformation, confusion, and confliction surrounding the Durango boxes. Furthermore, remanufactured steering boxes from parts stores can be very hit-or-miss about quality. I'd be doing my due diligence to ensure the box is the problem before throwing expensive parts at it that could cause more headaches.

This is something I've been thinking about for my '93 XJ. My steering box is leaking at the pitman arm, and I've been thinking about swapping in a Durango box ('98-'99 are the years to go for from what I've read)

Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on these...
From my research, pros of the Durango box are:
- larger piston for more force to turn wheels
- more durable, good for tapping for ram assist
Cons:
- less turning radius
- needs thicker spacer
- might need newer high pressure hose because the steering box side fitting might be different from older XJs?

Does anyone have any first hand experience running one of these vs the stock steering box?

I've also read the S10 steering boxes are a bolt on swap, but questionable in terms of whether they're an upgrade? (variable rate steering on later versions vs stock XJ fixed rate, same piston diameter)

I might end up just going to the U-pull and pulling an XJ box and putting my current one on the shelf for a reseal/rebuild.

This is something I've been thinking about for my '93 XJ. My steering box is leaking at the pitman arm, and I've been thinking about swapping in a Durango box ('98-'99 are the years to go for from what I've read)

Cons:
- less turning radius
- needs thicker spacer
- might need newer high pressure hose because the steering box side fitting might be different from older XJs?

Does anyone have any first hand experience running one of these vs the stock steering box?

I've also read the S10 steering boxes are a bolt on swap, but questionable in terms of whether they're an upgrade? (variable rate steering on later versions vs stock XJ fixed rate, same piston diameter)

I might end up just going to the U-pull and pulling an XJ box and putting my current one on the shelf for a reseal/rebuild.

I ran a Durango/wj in my old XJ. It was a massive difference with my 33's compared to stock but that also could have been because of a worn steering system to begin with. From my experience I did not lose turning radius, it was a little less but a marginal difference. It did need a larger spacer and I would suggest reinforcing the steering area. Hose just used the standard XJ ones. You do need to swap the fitting on the pressure line from the XJ to the WJ pump. Few other tweaks to make it fit but worked great.

I did pull a Durango box some years back for this swap. I did rebuild it. I did look at a lot of the threads out there. Yes, a lot of misinformation and I hope not to add to that. I think there are two versions of that gear box. A regular and a snow plow version. So, different ratios. Also, one of the threads said to shorten an internal part. There is an aluminum 'plug' inside the end cap. I did turn off the 3 prongs of it, as to some instructions in a thread. Again, I have not run this box. I was going to put it in my '00 XJ, but the stock box is doing well for the 2" lift and 31's. My other XJ is on 32's or 33's. Also, I need to get a spacer for it. It will probably go into my '88 Comanche.
On that XJ, I did get a cracked frame. Not good. I just had the frame welded up. I didn't want to put more money into it, as I'm doing other builds. The '00 did get frame stiffeners. They do make a difference in handling.
As to that, I don't know if you have a steering box brace or not. I like my Ironman steering box setup. For some reason, I think I have a Durango spacer on my '98 XJ. That or bent frame is why I could not get the shaft bearing for the Ironman steering brace on. Need to slot some of the holes, I think he says that in his instructions.
Also, I'd look at a trackbar brace. Stinky Fab, Ironman and RE have them. They are set up for their trackbar bracket. Also, I think Northridge has one. Also, I'd check out Alpine. There was a thread on hidden winch bumpers a month or so back. I saw in one of the pictures, Alpine had a trackbar brace. More like a truss. I do have Stinky's on my '00. I do have RE and Ironman's and they will go into some other builds.
Also, a gear box I've been looking at is the SJ/YJ gear box.

Cons:
- less turning radius
- needs thicker spacer

I just installed a p.o.s. AZ reman durango box. It does turn my 35s quite easily. I had read that it is not better for ram assist, something counterintuitive because of the volume of the box, stock is better iirc. The turning radius hasnt been noticeable to me while driving anywhere, though it does seem a little less lock to lock when I was bleeding the system. You do need a thicker spacer or many washers, I built my spacer so I needed only 2 washers. Hoses fit fine for me as well, 99. U pull is now on my list and maybe for a grand cherokee box instead.

For what its worth my jeep became very hard to steer on the trail on the street everywhere.

The pump was also making noice. Lots of research on the durango psc, and steering pumps in general.

This research led to research on pumps in general wich led tü researching modifying the stock pump to push its max capabilities.

Then i tore into the pump cleaned the sludged up screen drilled a hole removed a washer and streched a spring.

I now steer 35s pretty good and never spent a dime on the steering pump.

If i ever do a steeting box id probly do a red or blue top over the durango box or have them rebuild a stick durango box

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

just got done reinforcing/rebuilding the frame rail where it bolts up. I added a SFR inner brace as well frame stiffs on outside. Also drilled and tapped for hydro assist as this was my third box

I just put in a PSC steering box. Much better than the failing OEM one it replaced. I'll get around to upgrading the pump and adding cylinder assist at some point.

Back