• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount the spare

Where should the Spare be mounted?

• On the Roof

Votes: 162 35.9%
  • On the back

Votes: 218 48.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 71 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Onsail, that obviously isn't your DD. All that wasted space! It's a shame. I say if it fits in the factory location or in the rear cargo area, go for it. I run 30's right now, and they fit in the OEM spot. I probably won't go bigger than 31's or 32's so I'm not concerned with space. With the back seat down there's plenty of room for stuff. How much room could one need in an XJ? It's still a whole lot better than a Wrangler!

coderedxj said:
Onsail, that obviously isn't your DD. All that wasted space! It's a shame. I say if it fits in the factory location or in the rear cargo area, go for it. I run 30's right now, and they fit in the OEM spot. I probably won't go bigger than 31's or 32's so I'm not concerned with space. With the back seat down there's plenty of room for stuff. How much room could one need in an XJ? It's still a whole lot better than a Wrangler!

That is why I sold my CJ5 with 35s and fully locked, I wanted more room for the family. I have to agree that the tire needs to get outback or outtop so I can enjoy cargo space for dogs, play pen, and coolers.

Nope not my daily driver. I did want to move as much weight as possible as far back as possible. The XJ tends to nose dive off of jumps and whoops.

I think you'll have problems closing the hatch.......

Onsail said:
On the back!

DSC01893.JPG

DSC01895.JPG

click here for more photos

Eric

I mount my 30x9.5x15 in the stock location. Just got some threaded rod and made a longer bolt for the mount. It fits great. I would like to move it out in the future though. I also need the room for trips.

Holeshot, try turning the spare around so the outside of the rim is facing the window. I assume you took the mounting bracket off the floor first. I did, and there's plenty of room for the mounted full-size spare and if you have a couple of extra bungee cords, you can coil up your jumper cables and strap them to the inside of the spares rim. It makes them easy to get to, even when loaded in the rear.

Good call on turning it around it does allow for you to put something in the wheel. I didnt take the metal mounts out but that might be worth it. What size tire do you have in yours?

the thread was already at the top so dont get mad.

i got sick of reading this thread so i dont know if this has already been mentioned.

31's fit in the stock location if you rip the plastic off the back hatch.

33's fit int he stock if you have a compressor and deflate them fully.

My friend has it mounted on the back with a custom mounting system. It swings open so its not that annoying to use. Metal tubes go through the side of the xj and attach to the shock hoop. This puts almost no stress on the unibody and the mount doesnt even touch the back hatch.

i'll try and get pics.

I would like to mount My spare here on my XJ--------->http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/HaZakated/154_0501_glad_02_z.jpg

........Dont even think about telling me that it wouldn't work. We all know better. Almost anything can be done with the right tools, and experience on the "Modified Tech discussion" of the NAXJA forum.

I cant tell you how many times I've asked myself the question, "Well, why not?" while reading posts where people lack confidence, and say..."That wouldn't work." I'm think that some serious fabricating to a window and side of my jeep would have to be done so that the tire didn't extrude out too far.
Brian

Last edited:
HaZakated said:
I would like to mount My spare here on my XJ--------->http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/HaZakated/154_0501_glad_02_z.jpg
........Dont even think about telling me that it wouldn't work. We all know better. Almost anything can be done with the right tools, and experience on the "Modified Tech discussion" of the NAXJA forum. I cant tell you how many times I've asked myself the question, "Well, why not?" while reading posts where people lack confidence, and say..."That wouldn't work." I'm think that some serious fabricating to a window and side of my jeep would have to be done so that the tire didn't extrude out too far. Brian
If you don't want to hear 'that won't work', then why even bring it up? Why not just do it, post up pics and prove it. I agree that 'anything can be made to work', especially with a limitless budget, but in some cases, its not about 'will this work?' but rather, 'what are you trying to accomplish?

my garage isnt tall enough to put spare on the roof. It isnt long enough to fit a spare on the rear. I dont like putting my spare inside. I like the look of the side mounted spare.

Ya know.....mabey I was beating around the bush for a response to my last post. Geuss what I was really trying to do was get some opinions about it, before I start choping away at the XJ. I was dreaming out loud. I suppose I was weeding the part of my audience out that says, "This wont work" and was looking for opinions on how it might look good. In my opinion, the spare on the Gladiator looks great. I like it there. I may never do it; however, is it ok to think about how it might look on an XJ??? I would consider it a good thing for people to ask my opinion on a matter like this. In my opinion, many minds are greater than one. Who knows, mabey if I did this and it turns out looking great, you and others might think about trying it. For Gods sake, there is a hummer body kit for wranglers, why would this modification be so hard to contemplate.

Also, if you noticed, I was being kind of playfull in my last post to this thread. I can see how it might have been taken negativley, and I am sorry to anyone who may have taken it that way.

Brian

Yeah...I'm kinda strugglin' with this as well. Luckily I have a huge garage but in my area of the city there are garages that spares are an issue. I worry about the loss of vision from putting it on the rear bumper (not to mention the cost of a bumper). I also understand the negatives it has on COG up on the roof (although I'm sure this would never be an issue for my white knuckle driving technique.) Inside just plains rubs b/c I have too much fishing gear all over. I guess I'll be buying a Yakima roof rack here soon and thowin' it up top. The way your talking about on the side isn't really my cup of tea but I sure like they way it looks on the old Chevy pickups. How are you thinking about doing it so that it doesn't hang up on anything? Recess it into the body somehow?

HaZakated said:
my garage isnt tall enough to put spare on the roof. It isnt long enough to fit a spare on the rear. I dont like putting my spare inside. I like the look of the side mounted spare.

Ya know.....mabey I was beating around the bush for a response to my last post. Geuss what I was really trying to do was get some opinions about it, before I start choping away at the XJ. I was dreaming out loud. I suppose I was weeding the part of my audience out that says, "This wont work" and was looking for opinions on how it might look good. In my opinion, the spare on the Gladiator looks great. I like it there. I may never do it; however, is it ok to think about how it might look on an XJ??? I would consider it a good thing for people to ask my opinion on a matter like this. In my opinion, many minds are greater than one. Who knows, mabey if I did this and it turns out looking great, you and others might think about trying it. For Gods sake, there is a hummer body kit for wranglers, why would this modification be so hard to contemplate.

Also, if you noticed, I was being kind of playfull in my last post to this thread. I can see how it might have been taken negativley, and I am sorry to anyone who may have taken it that way.

Brian

i think it would be easier to raise the garage or lengthen it.... :laugh3:

Ludakris said:
i think it would be easier to raise the garage or lengthen it.... :laugh3:
LoL....I was thinking the same thing. The only part about that idea that I dont much care for is the fact that I can not drive my garage around. WeLL, I suppose I could, but it might not be leagel. Plus, Im not sure where on the NAXJA forums I could post this modification if I had trouble figuring out what size axle's and U-Joints that A 1928 Blue siding garage takes. Somehow I could see it to be a challenge finding parts. This MOD might be a trick for Jesse James. MONSTER GARAGE.......LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back