• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling with a manual transmission...

I ran 4.10s in my 94 on 31s with a 5 speed and it was a fantastic combination. Drove it from so cal to Moab, got 18mpg on the ride up and did some great trails no issue. I plan to do 4.10s again with my current rig

go 4.56, youll notice a huge difference.
i installed a home brew thumb throttle for $10, it was a huge help in those situations where you feel you need a third leg.

consider installing at least one locker as well (i started with a lunchbox locker in the front). itll greatly help with your ability to crawl, where before you had to use a little speed to get up something due to open diffs.

go 4.56, youll notice a huge difference.
i installed a home brew thumb throttle for $10, it was a huge help in those situations where you feel you need a third leg.

consider installing at least one locker as well (i started with a lunchbox locker in the front). itll greatly help with your ability to crawl, where before you had to use a little speed to get up something due to open diffs.

Yea, locker was going to be my next purchase anyhow, guess ill be getting a new ring and pinion along with it. :)

I'm glad its just that though, although I sense transfer case upgrade in my future as well. I don't do any hard core rock crawling with this thing yet, need a little more armor first. However, based on what you all are saying I am confident this will tide me over for a while with the type of wheeling I do.

BTW thanks for the advice on the hand throttle guys. Just ordered one! hah!

just FWI...

the teralow kit that gives you 4:1 in the 231 case suffers from oil starvation issues. even the manufacturer says not to use it for sustained high speed... like dune running and mudding. if it is for you is completely up to your discretion. but for the cost, there are better options out there. though i think 4.56s will keep you plenty happy until your on 35s.

In my case, I wheel a carbed 4 banger with 3.07s(i believe, never opened diff to verify)and 31s and I don't have a problem climbing over much, you just have to plan properly for the obstacle. I choose what gear I'll be making the ascent or descent with and stick to it. For a steep incline that's got loose material I'd be in second close to 4k rpms, most would shift to third but you lose a great deal of momentum and energy(especially with a 2.5). Proper planning is everything, I'm sure if you chose the correct gear for whatever was in front of you you'd be able to make it over no problems. Or if you set on buying gears immediately go for it. I personally am waiting on my d29/35 to blow to get 4.56 somethings. Still wheel though, bad gearing and no powers not stopping me.

A 4cyl w/3.07s would be super gutless

Then again, if you have a carb, you probably aren't climbing much. I've seen carbed rigs stall out on stuff an almost stock xj eent up with no.problems

Being an old fart, I learned and wheeled a manual for decades and swore by them. I got where I could replace an axle in 15 minutes.

I converted over to an auto some 10 years ago. Rock crawling is a ton easier with an auto. Not as much fun, but easier. There are several advantages. The torque converter acts like a shock absorber for the axles. It also allows you to wheel using much higher gears. I added the TC lock so I have the compression braking like a manual and I did the 1-2 lock so I can put it in what ever gear I want and lock it there. I rarely pop an axle now.

I really miss the manual, especially on the street. I have thought about trying to build a torque converter manual tranny for off road.

I ran 42s spooled front an rear with a stick (ax15) and hardly ever stalled it out.

Only had 4.10s in the axles. The answer for me was the doubler i was running. One case engaged and I could bomb up and down the trails, two engaged = bad ass technical crawling.

While I agree that being smooth has a lot to do with it, as well as a good crawl ratio...
I dissagree that you need 100:1 to make it worth your while and have fun at it.

You don't need a 5:1 case to have fun, you just need to finess things a bit more.
I have seen a AX15, 231(2.72), 8.25 (3.55) equipped XJ (CR around 38), do wonderous things.

I guess it's all in how you dance ;)

I should say that for technical rock crawling the 100:1 crawl ratio is where you want to be. The ability to crawl over big rocks and other obstacles while letting your engine idle is incredible. Drive a low geared manual and you will never go back to an automatic.

Just depends on the driver, terrain, and how much throttle you like to use as to how low of gearing you need. General trail driving and stock is fine. But as many have said stock gearing has its limits.

I don't do any rock crawling but like to go off roading.

I will say that even with my little 31" tire, ax15 and 3.07 that my axle ratio SUCKS on the road and is even worse off road. Even in 4 low. I find myself constantly hunting for the right gear and on the highway 5th gear is a waste of time generally

I am on the hunt for some take out 4.10's.

That said, I prefer the manual for off roading.

I have an AX-15; enjoy the manual, but auto can be easier off road in the crawling stuff. I have 33s, 4.56 gears. Highway RPMs are fine; in the sweet spot of the stroker.

I experienced the same issue as you; occasionally stalling, because I didn't want to slip the clutch too much. I first went with a 4:1 241OR T-case. This is tremendous in the slow stuff, but sometimes it's a bit too low for higher speed dirt. So, I ended up with a low range box in front of the 241, with 2.72 gears in it. This truly is the best of both worlds. I have 1:1, 2.7.2:1, 4:1 and 10.88:1. The 10.88:1 tends to be useless, as it is so slow that there is no momentum to get over rocks, but it's great for very low speed downhill work.

In your case, going with 4.10 (for 31s) or 4.56 (for eventual 33s) in the axles would be the first thing I'd do, as many others have recommended. I think you'll find this makes an enormous difference by itself. After you've worked with that for a while, determine whether you want deeper gear than that, and then consider the 4:1 241OR t-case.

David Bricker / SYR

I don't do any rock crawling but like to go off roading.

I will say that even with my little 31" tire, ax15 and 3.07 that my axle ratio SUCKS on the road and is even worse off road. Even in 4 low. I find myself constantly hunting for the right gear and on the highway 5th gear is a waste of time generally

I am on the hunt for some take out 4.10's.

That said, I prefer the manual for off roading.

your best option for a takeout 4.10 axle is to grab the front from a TJ and a 4.10 geared 8.8
You don't really want the TJ d35, and anything beside an XJ axe is going to require welding perches on anyway.

your best option for a takeout 4.10 axle is to grab the front from a TJ and a 4.10 geared 8.8
You don't really want the TJ d35, and anything beside an XJ axe is going to require welding perches on anyway.

I will keep my eyes open for the 8.8 but I am thinking for now, I'll find some take outs from 4cyl YJ or XJ's.

I will install them myself so should be able to swap the ratios pretty cheap.

I don't want to put too much $$$ into the D35.

my 4.56 one was pretty solid. I only ever broke it wheeling cause it had spare shafts in it with 260 sized joints.

a 260 joint will break climbing a 4 inch ledge with 35's.:dunce:

I used to have an excel file where I kept track of everyone who said they broke a d30 gearset on naxja.

It was like 3 4.56's to every 4.88....

I will keep my eyes open for the 8.8 but I am thinking for now, I'll find some take outs from 4cyl YJ or XJ's.

I will install them myself so should be able to swap the ratios pretty cheap.

I don't want to put too much $$$ into the D35.

good luck.
there's not too many yjs or early Xjs to steal them from these days.

the ratio of 4 cyl to 6 cyl went way in favor of the 4.0 after the early production years.

Back