• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel alignment now steering wheel up side down

Next time I get a Jeep on the rack I'll see what Mr Hunter has to say about it. Of course lift height plays a big part in how touchy the adjustment is.

I'll be back @ some point with hard data, until then I'm done w/ this thread

START FROM SCRATCH GUYS!
#1 pull pitman arm.
#2 turn steering wheel lock to lock and find center position. if steering wheel isn't straight, remove and index accordingly.
#3 place pitman arm pointing straight back towards rear axle.
#4 adjust TREs and draglink to proper alignment specs(leave this to a qualified alignment shop).
PERIOD. THE END
The problem with this theory is that the pitman arm and shaft are keyed, so the arm can only go onto the box one way.

MAX, I was going to go throught he math. Is the total length of the drag link 36.25" or (36.25" + 10.375")?

Next I need the vertical distance from the junction of the drag link and the tie rod, down to a plane between the two TRE's?

Then ideally the vertical distance from the pitman arm TRE and the aforementioned plane.

I would go and measure, but my rig has a totally different setup.

Eagle said:
....the pitman arm and shaft are keyed, so the arm can only go onto the box one way.
First of all, silly me to question you, and I'm going by my progressively failing memory -- but, doesn't the shaft have 4 keys, providing for 4 potential positions?

Or are they different size keys?

old_man said:
MAX, I was going to go throught he math. Is the total length of the drag link 36.25" or (36.25" + 10.375")?

Next I need the vertical distance from the junction of the drag link and the tie rod, down to a plane between the two TRE's?

Then ideally the vertical distance from the pitman arm TRE and the aforementioned plane.

I would go and measure, but my rig has a totally different setup.
my measurements for the drag link are 36.25" at stock height, 36.905" at 4.5" lift. The 10.375" is a portion of the total length of 36.25" (stock).

The vertical movement at the drag link/tie rod junction is proportional to the movement at the pitman arm using the ratio 1/3.56. I used 2.53 for the vertical distance, but this was not a direct measurement. It was calculated from a measured 1.99" on a 2.5" lift.

May your mileage continue to vary

Back