• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your opinion on Harbor Freight?

Like stated above. The only stuff I buy at HF are the wrenches, wire brushes, sand paper, cutting blades, hammers, and trail lights ($8 each)

The earliest thing I can honestly remember my dad teaching me about quality is him telling me to compare the thickness of the body of our John Deere to the thickness of the Sears lawn tractors. :)

Awwww memories.

95% of my tools are Matco. I have a large Matco box and a mid size craftsman. The craftsman is n the basement and hold all my old craftsman tools. These are the ones I really do not care to much about and rarely use.

We had a Snap-on guy show us a demo one that anyone can try.

Take a stainless or grade 3 bolt. Clamp it down in a vice as if your life depended on it. Now grab a china/tiwan open end wrench that fits it. Take the open end and try to twist the bolt. You can watch the head of the wrench flex and start to strip the bolt. Next take your craftsman and do the same. Much less flex but the bolt isnt going anywhere. Now take a snapon or matco wrench and do the same. You will snap the head right off the bolt with little effort.

That is how you can tell a good wrench. Yes I knwo you dont want to snap heads off. But it is showing how well the wrench is by not flexing and putting all the torque right on the bolt and its correct size.

If you ever saw a spec sheet for A snapon or matco wrench they go down to ten thousands of an inch.

You do get what you pay for but not everybody can spend 100k+ on tools which is fine.

I will be testing out and buying a HF sand blaster tho. Not a whole lot that can go wrong with that.

HF is great for a tool box that sits in the back of the jeep. I surely dont want my nice craftsman tools to get lost on the trail.
I have had good luck with most of there stuff so far, but I dont use it for the important things.

I basically use HF for jeep tools on the trails or in a bind and cash strapped.

Just a quick note, I did bust a set of HF vice grips and they replaced them no ?? asked for me without a receipt. but who knows if that was a regular occurnance or a fluke.

Brian

AZRockRunner said:
Just a quick note, I did bust a set of HF vice grips and they replaced them no ?? asked for me without a receipt. but who knows if that was a regular occurnance or a fluke.
Last I knew most if not all of their hand tools do have a lifetime warranty.

Well I guess I learned my lesson pretty quickly. The wire cup brush I bought for my grinder is totally unbalanced. I tried it today and it shakes the hell out of me when it's spinning. $4 down the tube.

Back