• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your opinion on Harbor Freight?

WholeLottaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I took a trip with my buddy down to the Harbor Freight store in Brick, NJ to pick up a few things. I ended up getting a creeper for $10 and a few other odds and ends like a wire brush for my angle grinder.

Personally I feel that there are certain things where it just doesn't make sense to purchase an expensive version. For instance, a $70 Snap-On adjustable wrench vs. a $10 HF one. I'll probably lose the damn thing before it breaks.

I was sitting down with my dad and showed him the stuff I had picked up. He looks at everything and he goes, "it's made in China junk, it feels like it's going to fall apart, you have to learn that you get what you pay for, and nobody gives you something for nothing."

I can see where he's coming from, how well can their $9.99 angle grinder hold up against my DeWalt that's been abused and keeps coming back for more, only time would tell.

What are your opinions on Harbor Freight and their cheap tools? My dad just doesn't have the "Disposable Tool" mentality and would be the one to buy the $24.99 Craftsman snap ring pliers vs. the $.99 ones I picked up yesterday.

I have a little experience w/ HF tools, i worked at a hydraulic company for a couple years and basically made and replaced all hydraulic hoses on heavy machines...i bought a set of combo wrenches from 1" up to 2 1/2", sometimes i would have to use a 4 ft breaker bar to get some of those big 2" lines to come lose, never snapped the wrench though. However any of their tools w/ moving parts or power tools, i'd stay away from, Dad is right in this case, you get what you pay for, i bought and angle grinder from them just as a temporary use until the dewalt that i ordered came in...the HF grinder was shot half way though the project. Other than stuff like that, i think they have descent deals on stuff like tapes, hammers, soft blow hammers, wrenches etc etc.

You'll be cussing those HF snap ring pliers for sure! HF is OK for crap you might use a couple of times and if it breaks it's no big deal. Their ball joint press is OK for home use as well as a few other things. I got my son one of those off road tricycles and he loves it. If you're buying tools to make a living with stay away from HF though. I'd much rather pay 5 times more for a tool than have my only 1/2" breaker bar snap while working on a customers machine. I got a couple of those white canvas tool bags and they seem to be pretty good. About the only thing in there not made in China!

you get what you pay for but for me its good enough to put in the emergency tools in my truck and jeeps as well as I like thier hammers and other things like that as they are cheap and do the job. I have had a number of thier air tools and for the most part they are ok for light use but I also dont mind buying more expensive stuff if I know Im gona use it more than a couple times

Your father is right, HF sells junk. I've got Snap-on and Craftsman tools that are older than you. I started buying my tools when I was about your age. HF wasn't around then but cheap crappy tools have always been available - the junk has long since broken, the good stuff I still have and will probably still be usable when I pass them on to my kids. You'll learn, we all do at some point. Probably when your 99 cent snap ring pliers break on you when you're in the middle of nowhere trying to fix something, and you poke yourself through a finger trying to use a screwdriver because your pliers broke, then you lose the snap ring because it zings away from the screwdriver, that's when you'll understand where your dad is coming from.

Well, i got a $100 socket set from there, 200 some piece. Anyway, im REALLY surprised by it, ive abused those tools and they keep coming back for more. I have that $10 grinder too, figured i could buy 5 of them for the price of a dewalt. Anyway, ive abused that and it seems to be holding up. Some things like the seal installers are junk. Like said, watch what you buy, some stuff is ok, some is complete crap.

good for trays, magnets, little used stuff like maybe a brake spring puller, a set of watch repair screwdrivers, mechanics mirror or magnet on a a movers blanket, a wall mount to hang tools, shop bushes stuff like that.

NOT a place to buy wrenches, anything air powered, electric. Thats stuff i will definately pay more for and i think i get a good value from paying a little more.

I bought a 3/4" impact socket set when I started working as a bus mechanic, could not afford the cost of needed (Snap-On/MAC) tools jumping from Buicks to buses. Within one year all the ones I had needed were broken and replaced with Snap-On.

Now others have said, you get what you pay for, well you can over pay also. I bought Snap-on for work (convient with the tool truck coming to me) and Craftsman for home and trail. So it depends what you'll use them for, if you need to make a living with them, buy the best, home & trail save some $$$ and buy Craftsman. Use once or twice soecialty tool, the cheap stuff may just work for you. Really, how often do you pull the pulley off a P/S pump or pull a pitman arm.

I have some Snap-on still working that I purchased in 1976.

I think everyone made a valid point that I agree with. I think you have to know what tools to buy and what tools to stay away from. I have a Snap-On ratchet that is my main ratchet and that's the reason I spent so much on it. I can count on it no matter what and that's important to me.

I do find their air tools to be a joke. High air consumption and they just feel cheap. What do you think of the "General Air" compressors?

I'm a machinist, 19 years now. All my tools at work are Craftsman. My tools in my garage are a mix, my tools in my Cherokee are a mix. Pick through most of the already mentioned things in above posts for things to get at HF, get the rest at Sears. One of the things not mentioned that I do have from HF and do what I need them to do are torque wrenches. Menards which is a midwest large hardware/lumber store sells the same quality stuff HF does. I've had to return numerous Craftman products, at least 3 ratchets and 2 snapped box wrenches, but at Sears you walk to the service counter, they go get the identical tool and you go home, quick and easy. If you buy a ratchet there it will be the last one you pay for, doesn't matter how many times it needs to be replaced or how old it is, if it breaks they replace it. Guaranteed for life is not just an advertisement for Craftsman.
I swear by my "Earthquake" air gun I got from HF, though.

Dont buy any angle grinders from HF. I got one and using it around the house it burnt up.. spend 30bucks more and get a Craftsman. Not too expencive. Even a cheap mekita grinder is better than HF. But if all you gonna do is charping a mower blade then that will work.

I wound up getting an angle grinder from Big Lots for $20. So far it has worked great. Trimmed my fenders, grinded down some metal on the steering stab bracket for my disco clearance, all good. I will see how well it holds up this spring and summer. But I like HF.

A lot of the stuff from harbor freight has a 30-90 day warranty (depending on the tool) and you can get 2 year extended warranties... and HF does sell DeWalt, Makita, Hobart, and Stanley brand tools.

I bought a bead roller, metal bender, 2 electric grinders (not the blue colored ones), and multiple other tools I haven't had a bad experience with any of them yet. The orange grinders come with an extra set of brushes so if the motor stops you can replace the brushes and it should work again.

If you only plan on using the tool a few times HF is great, if you use the tool a bunch of times and then it breaks you aren't out a lot of cash and you can buy a better one from Craftsman or Snap-on.

I use a lor of HF consumables (grinding disks, sanding belts, bits etc) and have occasionally picked up a "trial tool" there. Meaning a tool that I am not too sure I would ever use more than once. If I use it enough that it breaks, then I go get a Husky or Craftsman version of the tool. If I never use it again, it just takes up space but I am not out a lot of $$$$

Jim

ive gone thru at least 3 grinders from there and a sawzall that lasted like a week, and at least 4 or 5 tape meaures but for some stuff it makes sense like shop supplies, dust masks, gloves etc but as far as powertools be wary. I do have a belt sander from there that i do like, but the drills are ok too but wont last like others

mavinwy said:
I use a lor of HF consumables (grinding disks, sanding belts, bits etc) and have occasionally picked up a "trial tool" there. Meaning a tool that I am not too sure I would ever use more than once. If I use it enough that it breaks, then I go get a Husky or Craftsman version of the tool. If I never use it again, it just takes up space but I am not out a lot of $$$$

Jim

Ah, Harbor Freight! The Beta Test Release / Shareware version of tools!

Seriously, though, you make good sense - the ones that break end up being the ones you use all the time, so it makes sense to replace the "starter editions" as you kill them off.

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
Ah, Harbor Freight! The Beta Test Release / Shareware version of tools!

Seriously, though, you make good sense - the ones that break end up being the ones you use all the time, so it makes sense to replace the "starter editions" as you kill them off.

Rob

Yep...pretty much why I do it.

I also have a couple of their inexpensive box end wrench sets, socket sets etc for "in the car" sets.

The good tools stay in the garage....

Jim

Back