• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wheeling in Cali like?

It's quite the commute but I used to live in placerville right at the base of the Sierra Nevadas, smack dab in between both enterances to the rubicon. Awesome lil country town and alot of my friends that lived up in the mountains had parents that worked in the bay?
I then lived in Folsom which is in on a urban side of hwy 50. On the other side of hwy 50 is Prairie City OHV and NOTHING ELSE FOR MILES haha. Just my two cents
Also if your considering moved to Vacaville just go ahead and rob yourself now. Maybe even take up smoking meth. You'll fit in juuust fine that way

80k in sf practically seems like poverty LOL , if you are living alone you could scrape by, with a family youd need at least a joint income of 130K plus if you are frugal. I think my girl and I make around 135k together and we always seem to be broke. and we are in sacramento where the rent is 1/4 the price of SF. I dont know where the money goes so dont ask LOL. vacaville to SF would be an hour easy every morning. and dave is right, vacaville /fairfield are ghetto now. im sure in 10-15 years Dixon will be that ghetto too but id choose Dixon over those 2 if I had to.

Livermore , Dixon, tracy? petterson, mtn house, oakley, antioch, etc

Hey bro. It can be done. Im sole provider for a family of five. I make 84k a year. I did own a great house but opted to let it go for a shorter commute so now I rent. But it is very doable. Just have to be careful about where you spend your money. My wife is a couponer and she is very good at it. I'm hoping to by again within the next two years. Im in concord now and moving to martinez in a few weeks. There are some real jem areas in the diablo valley. And depending on time and traffic. I'm 30-60min from sf

Last edited:
I don't know what's going on in your life, but I can't fathom anything that would make you want to go from :

Colorado-Durango.jpg

state-flag-colorado.jpg

..to this :

sf.traffic.0930.jpg

California-300x300.jpg

I advise against the move, but good luck with it..

Most people who have the means are trying to leave this state. It is in a death spiral of high taxes, low productivity, and poor schools. Unless you must come for religious reasons, I'd find a way to stay where you are.

Honestly I have mixed feelings about the Bay Area and more over California. First off its all perspective...obviously. If your idea of paradise is an over regulated bankrupt nanny state then welcome aboard. SF Bay Area and LA dictate the state pretty much. If your anything close to conservative or independent you'll go nuts if you pay attention and care. The weather is awesome in the Bay Area. Its never terribly hot or cold and BoatWrench is right, the Sierra Chapter rocks and XJ's don't rust around here. Get ready for smog laws up your yin yang and if you own fire arms make sure they are California compliant before bringing any felonies in to our state. Housing is retardedly expensive but making a decent living isn't that hard either, its all relative but the Bay is highly competitive, if your married even better, you'll do fine with dual income. There are areas of San Jose that are decent and affordable both for renting or purchasing. Morgan Hill and Gilroy are other nice areas if you like smaller towns or semi rural living. If you want a great place to live check out Sunnyvale, traffic isn't too bad the commuter train to SF is near by and it has lots to offer...just no rural living by any means, lol. Its a bit pricey but you will get more living space for the same price as SF. Any of the other areas named like La Honda or Pacifica are incredibly beautiful and closer to SF. If you enjoy hiking or mountain biking then the Bay Area is home for you. We have an insane amount of open preserves and county parks. If you live in Santa Cruz you can have breakfast by the beach, leave home and go snowboarding in the same day. There is so much to offer around here. California is absolutely beautiful and if you want to feel a little lawless then Nevada is about a 5 hour drive from the Bay. The desert over there has awesome wheeling and the Sierra Chapter extends over there, there are plenty of members willing to show you all the cool spots around Reno/Sparks. Lake Tahoe and the entire Sierra Nevada range is frigg'n awesome, although that picture of Colorado is breath taking I might add. With all my complaints and the flaws our state has I've yet to put my money where my mouth is and leave. If you ever have the chance to leave the greater Bay Area and see Californias gold country, go up by Shasta, down south, visit small towns off 395 or get out and explore the back roads of San Joaquin Valley you'll meet some real down to earth and good Californians. They Bay Area is full of great people as well but don't let the terrible drivers and people who rush in front of you at Starbucks, can't hold a door open or look at you in the eye or say thank you get under your skin. Ive been to a hell of a lot of places in America and the Bay Area is great, flaws in all.

Do you mean SF proper? Often people will say SF but they really mean SF Bay Area. If you mean SF proper then unless you actually live in SF proper everywhere else is will be a painful, long, hassles to commute from.

And to completely beat a dead horse: No Cali please. If California is too long then try the less common, "Ca". Literally "C A". This is minimally accepted. hahaha

Oh and leave your guns, or anything else fun at home. We don't allow fun here. Fun has been banned for quite a while.

Who flippen cares what he calls it? I don't get why SF peeps call it the city wherever they go, even when they're in Sacramento, as if SF is the only city around that matters? No wonder we come across as smuggy turds.

If I were to live close to SF and didn't mind a commute I’d go to la Honda or half moon bay. My mother lived in half moon bay and la Honda for a while and I loved it out there. La Honda can be considered rural.

As for wheeling you'll have to drive but the wheeling is fantastic and you'll literally find it ALL here. From the extreme rock crawling at Fordyce, to mid level stuff on the Rubicon, to the more mild mannered terrain at slick rock and surrounding trails, to the endless trial and lake systems at gold lake and surrounding plumas county trails, to the high speed desert stuff in Mojave, JV, ocotillo wells and glamis, to the sand dunes at Pismo along the beach. One could easily call this state a mecca for offroading, hence why we tend to lead the industry in innovation within the sport.

Last edited:
my gf and i rent in oakley a super nice 3 bedroom with a huge 50 foot paved sideyard for the boat and room for 3 cars in driveway and a big garage for 1450 and water/garbage is paid

I don't know what's going on in your life, but I can't fathom anything that would make you want to go from :

..to this :

sf.traffic.0930.jpg

I advise against the move, but good luck with it..

I spy 2 xj's. hint: the second one is a late model

california is a beautiful state but there's a bunch of idiots that ruin it. I don't even provide for myself yet but I already have plans to leave

Ill chime in... I'm from CALI and I live in Bakersfield, I'm not much more than 2 hours from everything, the beach, calico, jawbone canyon, johnson valley is a drive but most is rock crawling, snow, rivers and lakes. "The city" of LA, magic mountain knots berry farm universal studios is a lil further but there, 4 hour drive to Vegas... Our housing ranges from 60k to 2 million we're not horribly smashed in, I still live in the country where you can see stars... What are you looking to do once you move down to calif.?

Wow! Tons of input, thanks!

I'm not thrilled about leaving this:

IlDjm.jpg

but, I think my time has come. If I'm leaving, I'm leaving a cushy job which I've plateaued, and I'll be heading to the bay area to work for a start-up. I have a very good friend who owns one, and has a great network for me to utilize. My wife will immediately go back to school for nursing, so we'll be on a single income for 2 years, I've been told wherever I end up, I can expect to start at $70-90K/yr.

I think I've been underestimating commute times. Which kinda sucks.. I really don't want a commute over 30 minutes to the peninsula(weather I'm on the SF end or the MV end I don't know yet), and we want a house with a bit of property(dog, garden, fire pit) But I'll trade a shorter commute for a longer weekend drive to the mountains if that's how it has to be..

Whats the deal with guns? I have a 12ga...

Back