• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the stupidest thing you ever did that you would admit to?

lawsoncl said:
You removed the entire axle shaft, not realizing that the hub is held together by the outer axle stub. Only thing holding it together is a mild press fit.

I'm amazed it lasted two weeks! I've heard of others that did it and never got past the first turn.

--Shorty

One hot 90* day I was out side doing a coolant flush and fill.Had one jug with 100% water and the other 100% coolant sitting on the header panel of my car.Starting feeling thirsty while I was under the front end tightening a hose clamp just as it started to be night time outside,I reached up and grabbed a jug......got two monster sized gulps into it and started feeling a weird sensation in the back of my throat.

Yup...... I grabbed the wrong jug!

Another time I watched my old man trying to get some lug nuts loose with a propane torch on a bright sunny day.It kept going out.....so whats he do?He sticks it up to his ear to see if it was still hissing!!!
by by side burn!!
rofl lmfao!!

Last edited:
After replacing just about everything, I changed the thermostat on my 85 chevy impala, and about a week later it turned into a steam engine with a huge cloud of water vapor belching out of the exhaust. Obviously a major malfunction.

Tore the left cylinder head off, and one of the cylinder walls was cracked from top to bottom. Tore the thermostat housing off to see I had installed the thermostat upside down! I still hate myself for doing that.

1. engine cleaner on a hot engine....fire
2. helping a fellow jeeper remove the rivited bracket on the lower quarters of a 97+, drilled out the rivits, and tried to weld the holes up. He had a big speaker mounted there with alot of insulation around it......fire
3. Let my 6 year old help air down....I ran with 2 #'s in the rear that day--bead never broke and jeep did great

I was thinking about the stupidest thing I have ever done (almost) and realized that I would make everyone that read my post pi%% there pants for years to come from laughter about my stupidity. Not to mention the constant ridicule about me and my father's drunkeness that night. No worries, neither one of us was driving.

So I won't say anything except it unfortunately trumps everyone elses story, hands down.

Cop with a Mustang story is funny though.

:roflmao:

Last edited:
Cop with a Mustang story is funny though.

:roflmao:[/QUOTE]

Border Patrol officers staying at the resort where I work got a kick out of it too. Guess I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer that day....lol

This story will clearly show my age. As a 4 year old I had watched my father burn leaves in the fall. I had also heard him say that cars burned gasoline. So it only made sense that a car could burn leaves. Shoved handfuls of leaves down the gas neck of my mother's car. Even after dropping the gas tank and flushing the lines and carb, my mother had to carry a rubber mallet to pound on the carb when it quit running. Car was never the same.

At 6 mom owned a real sharp 60 T-bird. It had cruise control as a wheel on the console . Little did I know that it was actually a second accelerator cable. Just as a traffic light changed I gave the cruise wheel a quick shove sending us blazing into a intersection.

It is amazing that my parents did not kill me .

But the stupidest things I ever did was riding my motorcycle on acid and other types of hallucinogens. Yes, I was an idiot !

young kid stories, hmm... I was passenger on road trip with my Mom traveling 65 in a 66' Chev Impala S.S. I tried to grab something but it was stuck around the shifter and I somehow shifted for her into reverse.SCARY $#!+

Getting stuck in a ski resort parking lot with no snow, hill was soo steep I caught hitch on the edge of pavement.

Same ski resort (Heavenly) decided to test my new rubber and climbed onto the ski slope after it had been groomed. Didn't realize operations manager's office looked out over the scene of my crime, not to mention the snow cat operator was pretty pissed at me. He had to re-groom.

Well, I'm telling somebody else's story here.

Was driving around this past Friday night with some friends. Saw a car with its flashers on, on the side of the road.....asked them what's up, they said they had a flat and need a jack because their's bent. So we used my Jeep jack (almost too tall for whatever type of crap car that was!) to lift it up. Swapped the spare tire on.....I heard a hissing noise! It was the spare.......leaked totally down to empty within a minute or so.

At that point I collected my jack and said good luck!

The most god awful stupid thing I ever did ? Hmmmm, I had a few pounds of 10+ year old black powder that I needed to get rid of, it was middle of winter and 2ft of snow on the ground the nite before which is why I was cleaning the cellar. I took the cans out and poured them in a line down the driveway. I think I had maybe 20lbs of FF. The stupid part was I used a small bic hand lighter to light the end instead of using a foot of fuse, which got me too close to this unstable powder. Luckily the hood of my 69 willys had 2ft of snow on it and it was reflex to stand up and slam my face into the snow. Within minutes I looked like I had the worst case of sunburn you ever saw, no eyebrows, no mustache and a godawful large forehead from all that hair being gone. Trip to the ER to get burn ointment and my face wrapped. I was very lucky I did not damage my eyes...

For those of you who are horrified it's common practice to dispose of stuff that way, we do/did it with excess cheese from the mortar rounds, bags of powder from the 155 and 8" rounds and even excess C4, all burn rather nicely. I was very 'Pro Fuse' after that... in the case of C4 just never try to stamp it out or pour water over it....

Not me but...
I was walking home form school with a freind in 7th grade (I think) on one of the streets we had to walk down there were no sidewalks, my freind was looking at something next thing I know he was lying face donw on top of thhe hood of a car, he had walked into a parked car.

As far as for me would be marring my ex wife.
Sam

Well, not me but a buddy changed his oil, let it run, checked for leaks... everything went great. Well, hopped in, backed it up, and went to pull it from between two spots to just one spot... forgot to move the oil pan, drove over it.. At that point I laughed and walked away.

Me? well, when I first got the Jeep, the previous owner drove it like an ass and the U-joints were almost shot. So my buddy was driving it to Autozone cause he wanted to take it for a drive, I agreed. He tried to drop the clutch and smoke the tires... worked fine, beautifully actually, then I told him about the U joints. He did it again, not so much luck this time. We were across from teh store at this point, did the U joint in the lot, went to drive away... Ends up he broke the tab off the yoke that holds the U joint caps in so it fell apart right away again.

Ended up using a U joint clip and JB weld and got it home that way, actually drove it to and from work for a wk or 2 fine, then I decided it was time to get a new yoke anyway and thought I could show up my buddy who left a "nice" one legger near my house... apparently my yoke/U-joint shot out from under the Jeep in about 20 pieces with taht one... I had to walk to work for a week till the parts came in.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Same ski resort (Heavenly) decided to test my new rubber and climbed onto the ski slope after it had been groomed. Didn't realize operations manager's office looked out over the scene of my crime, not to mention the snow cat operator was pretty pissed at me. He had to re-groom.

I saw that once at the stagecoach chairlift, quite a few years ago. Was this you?

try to pass acar in my 5.0 mustang on the way to school w girlfriend(now wife)
i was tryin to catch up to a buddy in his toy pickup 4wd ( silly me)
there was snow on the ground.
car decided to go check out the ditch..
ran over a green ameritech box on the way down the ditch.
then came to rest when a small 3" tree decided to teach my car a lesson.
smashed in the pass door(g-friend crying now) smash in the rear quarter, and bend the axle housing and axle. the rim made it ok and the tire was ok suprisingly..
new axle rear quarter and some door bondo and the car was alive again but never the same it left shortly after it was fixed..

This was a grade school story...My brother dared me to run across a river bed. I sunk up to my shoulders and couln't move for nothing. It took our F-150 to pull ME out.

While working under the hood, I lost a screw and couldn't find it, I heard it hit some metal so I thought it ended up in the bumper or something and forgot about it. Moments later I started it up and it made a horrible grinding noise and I shut it off. Turned out it got stuck in one of the pulleys and shredded my serpentine belt. Oh wait, that was last night. Had to get a ride to work this morning...

It never fails....you are working under the hood....or under the JEEP...as is recomended depending on what you are doing battery is disconnected...Tighten all bolts,nuts,screws....etc....make sure all tools are either in tool box or not in engine compartment....slide behind the wheel....insert and turn key....then get pizzed because it won't start....get out slam door....look under vehicle...make sure all is connected....look in engine compartment(at least 3 times) still no start....all this time the negative battery cable is NOT CONNECTED....then you realize the problem ....I don't KNOW how many times I've done that....but I keep doin it

After a case racing a 30 pack against a friend. Somehow we end up on top of a ski hill near our college (at 5:30 in the morning in June) with a vertical of only 440 feet with his ZJ. Well we are already on top of this hill and the quickest way down is down the front of course (There's an access road to get to the top.) Followed by breaking into a old smelting facility (fenced in with signs notifying us of asbestos) and looking around a lil. Needless to say you look back the next day and go *That was not a good idea*.

Also wheeling solo vehicle (there were two of us) about 20 miles out of our college town. It was April so there's still some snow and very wet out. Well we made it to the top of a hill okay and starting down the other side we bottom out his '02 Dakota and hear a large clunk, assuming this was just bottoming out we continued down to the bottom. Well when we had to try to make it up another hill we weren't going anywhere. 4wd wasnt working. After having to walk back to the top of the hill to get one bar of signal I called a friend and we waited three or so hours for him to find us/get to us. Then we were pulled out just about the entire way by one of the dakota's lower a arms, who knew you would need tow hooks on a pick-up of all vehicles? duh.

Moral of the story is: dont attempt to enjoy yourself in college. you will only have fun!

Back