• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the point of the reverse torx bolts????

I recently bought a set of ARP head bolts. 12 point being their favorite style I was surprised when they came in as 6 point bolts. The factory bolts were 12 point, what gives?????

Lol questions that will be asked for the rest of time. I know a lot of medium and heavy duty applications favor 12 point (and light duty head bolts) switching it up like that is just not fair

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I thought wtf when I saw them as well.
So I went and got a set of the correct sockets.
They ate frk'n great! Why someone would replace then with standard hex bolts is beyond me.
For installation you put the bolt in the socket and it presents correctly, sticks straight out of the socket and stays like that, try that with a hex bolt.
I don't know what the max angle off true you can get to while torquing the bolt befor the socket slips of the Torx but it is much more forgiving than standard hardware.
As posted earlier drop the trany a bit, some extension bars over the top onto the Torx out it comes, no worries.
Beats trying to get yr hans in between the fire wall and the bell housing.
And a 12 point socket gets it done but well......There is a hard way to do everything.
Just my 2c

When I pulled my tranny, I seem to remember the top two bolts being 12-point, but it's probably been over a year at this point. Maybe they were an actual reverse Torx, I just used a 12-point socket.

In my experience, OEM's generally put strange fasteners on things they don't want Uncle Bob monkeying with for whatever reason. Snap On actually makes a socket that fits fasteners that LOOK like internal Torx fasteners, but it has 5 points instead of 6. They'll also only sell this thing to "qualified technicians" probably because the most common use for it is servicing the injection pumps on diesel engines made by numerous manufacturers...

I have not even bothered to read the other comments here. The point of the bolts is to make your life difficult... They are to keep you from doing more work so you send it back to AMC, JEEP or Chrysler for repairs. I have a 98 and a 99... The 98 needed an engine when I bought it and I had to cut the damn reverse torx bolts out because the small teeth just arent enough for the torx specs. Replace them with good Grade 8 bolts of similar length bud

Back