• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you replace your XJ with?

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not trying to cause a ruckus on an XJ forum, just looking for objective opinions. My 2001 XJ has 314,000 miles and I have to accept the reality that it won't last forever. If anyone had to replace their XJ, what would they buy? I'm considering an Xterra.

If replacing with another 4x4 or offroad capable. TJ, XJ, ZJ or VW Baja in that order. Same priority I have had for the last 3 Jeeps. Started shopping for a Wrangler, best I found for the budget at time was 2 ZJs followed by the XJ.

Probably I'd try to find a ZJ, although I'd miss the sealed beam headlights of the XJ. Maybe have to do something custom there. Or maybe just a nicer XJ. It's a shame that my body is all hail damaged otherwise I'd just build it and keep it forever - I've been maintaining it as if that is what I was going to do anyway.

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus on an XJ forum, just looking for objective opinions. My 2001 XJ has 314,000 miles and I have to accept the reality that it won't last forever. If anyone had to replace their XJ, what would they buy? I'm considering an Xterra.

I have a slightly different strategy for my XJ in the long term. Rather than pile on the miles on my 98 (has 166k), I mix and match between the XJ and my 1989 Toyota Celica GTS. I alternate fuel tanks and typically drive the Celica in the summer when gas is expensive. As a result of this strategy, I've only put 30k on my XJ in 5 years. At this rate, I'll hit 300k about 10 years after I'm dead. I don't have a long commute, which certainly helps, but alternating vehicles keeps the wear and tear way down. Just my $ .02. I hope to keep my XJ forever.

I'll bend right over so you can kick more easily...

When my last Xj bit the dust and I couldn't find another good one at a reasonable price, I ended up getting an 06 Liberty. Very different in many ways, with initially squirrely feeling handling, short wheelbase, smaller interior. But still a bit Jeepish in others, including the same old manual transfer case. I've gotten used to it, and it's been dependable - gone from a little under 100k to over 150K miles with almost no repairs, and my wife likes it.

One of the things I'm a bit fussy about, and my wife more so, is seats (she has neck issues), and the lower-line Liberty of that vintage has the same seats as the 99XJ had. It seems trivial, but the way the headrests are designed makes a difference to some people, and so far, Jeep wins.

As it happens, the Liberty is automatic, where the XJ was manual, and about a month after buying it I had a major bicycle accident that left me unable to drive for months. It turned out to be a very timely change, though I still miss the stick shift. The V6 engine is OK, though it doesn't feel as nice as the straight 6, and the automatic is OK too, though I don't think it's as good as an AW4. It's good on snow, and as I say, it's been reliable.

I'd be getting an 03-ish Xtera with the supercharged V6. Put Warn manual hubs on it (the factory hubs suck) and call it a day. I've worked on them a bit... build right. Leaf spring rear, IFS front, swing set type steering (not rack & pinion)... with the SC, it's got some oomph behind the pedal.
Or you could get a JK Unlimited or a 4Runner, but those are the only 3 comparable vehicles that I know of.

i'm kind of in this situation right now...
my comanche got totaled(not my fault), so when the insurance finally gets me some money, i'm thinking of what to do next.
i'm strongly considering an '87-91 grand wagoneer....and doing a fuel injection conversion on it. i've always liked those, and i don't care about the mpg.
4"-6" lift and 35's.

i'm kind of in this situation right now...
my comanche got totaled(not my fault), so when the insurance finally gets me some money, i'm thinking of what to do next.
i'm strongly considering an '87-91 grand wagoneer....and doing a fuel injection conversion on it. i've always liked those, and i don't care about the mpg.
4"-6" lift and 35's.
I like those... and the FS Cherokees too, if you can find one that isn't rusted out.

I dont know what youre talking about. Mines at 226k and if /when it dies, its only 3k to redo the motor. Then I have at LEAST another 100k to go on that......
Cheaper than having a stupid car payment and I love my xj.
If it were to be totaled, hmmmm..... honestly id be thinking xterra also if I couldnt find another xj to live forever with....

i already replaced it with a bigger piece of junk. i love it. (pardon the instagram filter..)

sJAvQFT.jpg

Bruiser 4bt jk!

Back