• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Bosch Injectors 0280155831

Revs to sky fine in park.

Sounds a fuel volume delivery limit issue. You need to time how fast the fuel pump can fill a gallon/quart into bottle at idle and dig up the specs. Could be a fuel line leaking on the pump output side, inside the gas tank.

Or a TPS problem if it Is Renix???

Last edited:
Sounds a fuel volume delivery limit issue. You need to time how fast the fuel pump can fill a gallon/quart into bottle at idle and dig up the specs. Could be a fuel line leaking on the pump output side, inside the gas tank.

Or a TPS problem if it Is Renix???

Interesting. Will have to look into this!

Not a Renix :D

Working this weekend.

But just ordered a bunch of parts.

Found out the brand new 16 dollars OEM radiator cap wouldn't hold pressure. Picked a 7 dollar one up from NAPA (Balkamp) and it works just fine.

Got the driver's side leaf spring pack and all 4 shocks installed. Back to trying to diganose the way it's running tomorrow.

Driveline vibe:
Took the front driveshaft off and the vibe is gone...

Looking into what would cause the front to vibrate. Starts vibrating at about 60mph and gets worse the faster you go.

Driveline vibe:
Took the front driveshaft off and the vibe is gone...

Looking into what would cause the front to vibrate. Starts vibrating at about 60mph and gets worse the faster you go.

How’s your pinion angle?

How’s your pinion angle?

So that is something I need to check. I know with a double cardon joint like the front of most XJs have that the pinion should put at the tcase but you cant do that due to the set caster on the front axle.

I'm not sure if I could get adjustable uppers and lowers and that would help?

So that is something I need to check. I know with a double cardon joint like the front of most XJs have that the pinion should put at the tcase but you cant do that due to the set caster on the front axle.

I'm not sure if I could get adjustable uppers and lowers and that would help?

Adjustable uppers and/or lowers are one way to fix it. Offset ball joints are another. If removing the driveshaft fixed it, I'd say thats likely the cause. Do you have an angle finder?

I do have an angle finder. I was thinking this was due to the rear angle. I'm still learning to use it.

If you have any pointers or where at to put the angle finder, i'm all ears :D

I do have an angle finder. I was thinking this was due to the rear angle. I'm still learning to use it.

If you have any pointers or where at to put the angle finder, i'm all ears :D

if you put the shaft back in you can put it on top of the shaft near the u joint at the front pinion. You can also put it on one of the gussets on the upper side of the diff. really anything thats on the same plane as the yoke.

worked on taking apart front axle. got down to the spindles. bearings are in good shape so I'll just replace seals. not sure I replace ball joints they seem like their in good shape.

Checked fuel pressure on mine. Idles at 31 psi and goes up to 39 psi with the regulator disconnected from vacuum line. I am also able to recreate the issue at slower speeds. Happens with the accelerator to the floor and when it tries to shift from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear. Picked up an IAC to slap in to see if that fixes the idle issue. Will probably drive it for a day or two after and check the plugs again.

Pulled the interior hunting for rust, I also power washed the carpet while I had it out and replaced the weather strip on both front doors and the lift gate.

Found a few spots and a few small holes. Busted the rust out with a wire wheel and a flapper wheel. I tried to spot weld the holes but even on the lowest amperage i could run i kept blowing the holes out bigger 😑

So i hosed everything down with rustoleum top and bottom and used a tube of silicone and the change i found under the carpets to make my 1 dollar and 1 cent patch.

Certainly not professional haha.

So ill reassemble tomorrow after the carpets dry out and i give the sealant and paint time to cure.

3ba38484a0e9f7bf678134fc61a916dc.jpg

df129b60487249c0460fa8d35177225b.jpg

3c1845e99ea8e7cfc6f92ad59810ba09.jpg

6e7333266f31ee6f7e4511ff98ad0e29.jpg

18daeb870f37f028396cde24cc031247.jpg

15b532323217cb904a3925a3e691d92c.jpg

d714b2fe0df0f7c6f3f5be848cbb22c4.jpg

0b7c9c9d3bd948a30f2a0da372641140.jpg

666b3edf03522e3b6e9e2beef62d0acf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Found out the brand new 16 dollars OEM radiator cap wouldn't hold pressure. Picked a 7 dollar one up from NAPA (Balkamp) and it works just fine.

I learned about 15 years ago to pressure test them at the counter.

I learned about 15 years ago to pressure test them at the counter.
Eh i dont have a cap/coolant sysyem tester. Its on the list of tools to get next payday. Just crappy an OEM part thats twice the cost is a failure out of the box.

What is the idle issue?

TPS?

Is the torque converter lock /unlock working right? Brake switch?

Transmission fluid clean and at the proper level?

Also could be a leaky vacuum line to the MAP sensor. They can cloaked, hard to see....

TPS data and MAP date are most important when moving the gas pedal and shifting.

Gas tank got plenty of fuel? Loose electrical contacts/grounds....

Checked fuel pressure on mine. Idles at 31 psi and goes up to 39 psi with the regulator disconnected from vacuum line. I am also able to recreate the issue at slower speeds. Happens with the accelerator to the floor and when it tries to shift from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear. Picked up an IAC to slap in to see if that fixes the idle issue. Will probably drive it for a day or two after and check the plugs again.

Eh i dont have a cap/coolant sysyem tester. Its on the list of tools to get next payday. Just crappy an OEM part thats twice the cost is a failure out of the box.

The parts stores have them, rent them for free, make them pull it out at the counter and use it :)

I was seeing 4 out of 5 off spec right out of the box.

I figure with as much crap as i work on i might as well have one on my shelf to go with all my other task specific tools.

There is a huge variety of adapters out there now days. The complete set of sets(?) is probably $200 now. I paid about $85 for mine and it lacks all but one adapter for the old style radiator caps. I use mine on my '85, 4 banger XJ that has a cap on the radiator. Still need adapters to use on coolant bottle caps which is what all my other rigs have, pressure bottles with plastic new style caps.

I figure with as much crap as i work on i might as well have one on my shelf to go with all my other task specific tools.

Back