• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to use to install hack and tap?

Dest, I read on go-jeeps write up the yoke should bottom out on both the output shaft and the bearings.if you cut another.25 off the shady did you do the same to the yoke? If not this would put huge side load on the bearings and can cause the grinding you speak of, could also contribute to coming out of gear do to this. Just my .02

I'm using a RE hack n tap, so I don't think I could cut it shorter, and I don't think I had to. I didn't make it bottom out. I've probably done about 50 miles or so on it now and it hasn't had anymore issues, so it was probably just a fluke or something. Maybe since there was no resistance on the shaft and it was spinning so fast is what caused it to grind. I think the vibes I still have are probably the angle so I'm gonna get some shims on Monday.

why did it grind when I moved it back into park after cutting the shaft?

Because the output shaft was still spinning, there was no driveline friction to slow it down. The grinding noise was the park locking pawl trying to engage. Try shifting into neutral first for a couple seconds, then into park.

Back