• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to change, what to keep the same?

I liked the event overall as usual, few comments

-New Medium MI was fun and should be included for different scenery next year

-seems like we are adding more different groups to go wheeling (MI, medium MI, red, orange, green) maybe some more flags, different colors with a clear established colors for groups. It was kind of un-clear who was doing what group, what color, what line.
-more leaders, smaller groups. maybe even just a leader, no gunner (even just for medium and hard groups)
-could have CB/FRS channels decided and published on the schedule before hand, that way if someone is late they know the channel.
-start wheeling time pushed up? earlier drivers meeting? We were sitting in the lower parking lot for a while for no real reason.

-make sure that everyone stays together in the larger groups, we were getting some good distance between us Saturday morning

Saturday's orange group should have been two groups I counted and we were pushing it numbers wise. And then and a few jump in. After we got organized I think we made it work decent. But should have split up

-I like the VFW hall. It has been more packed in the past and we had plenty of room to spread out if people were to cramped. Good tradition.

-Food was decent. Doesn't matter what you get in, prepping that much food to put out is always not going to be fresh. Still beats cooking for myself!

-The obstacle course was a blast to be in and a ton of fun to watch! I don't agree with the previous comment about heats! Way more fun watching people not paying attention or doing it twice because they were way off haha.

-Saturday morning took a bit to get going. I think part of it was registration being up in the small parking lot, then just trying to get people to pay attention and get down to the parking lot on time.

-I liked that Mission Impossible was open for an "orange run".

I want to thank the trail leaders and BOD for putting on a great event! I also want to thank all the sponsors that were there in person!! And thanks for the pizza during lunch break!!!

Saturday's orange group should have been two groups I counted and we were pushing it numbers wise. And then and a few jump in. After we got organized I think we made it work decent. But should have split up

It was going to be two groups, I even spoke with the leaders about starting it at two different places, however I was told at the drivers meeting it was going to be one group.

mac 'it was a big group' gyvr

It was large. The first few obstacles where the only places we got separated. After that Matt, Anthony, Andy and I kept the group together well and still covered all the trails we wanted too.

Another note on the trails. It was messy because we didn't know exactly what trails were going to be and what color. They are remarking and rerouting all the trails so having a flag for every color will happen next year, we just couldn't predict what would be done this year.

I appreciate all the trail leaders because I would've loved to have had a list of who was running what list with each trail ahead of time, it was hard to predict how many were going to run the medium mission possible group too. At the last minute I was moving trail leaders from one group to another and they worked with me.

My OCD was outta wack, but we made it work. Once the trail system is reorganized it will be better.

Glad to hear the jeep Jambo leaders worked out well, they seemed like good guys.

mac 'wish I was on the trail instead of going back to work' gyvr

Just a thought: to eliminate the lines at registration and the long wait in the parking pre-trail start we could stagger the trail start times.

since we generally have more than 1 group of each level (even the hard MI groups split up once we go to the property)

easy groups have one leave at 9:00 another leave at 9:30
medium groups leave at 9:15 and 9:30
Hard groups leave at 8:45 and 9:30

or some variation of the above, this would give the folks who want to get out and wheel more the option of making the earlier start time and not waiting around.

WF is always the best run event that I go to each year.

jim

Jim, I think the trails being marked and mapped next year will mean that we can send multiple groups out at the same time to different areas of the park. The nice thing about the badlands is everything is accessible via fire road or whatever you want to call it.

I wish someone at the badlands would put together a trail map that doesn't suck. Then the trail leaders can get together on thursday and map their runs for time, distance and number of rigs. Hopefully that will change for next year.

I liked the comment about lining everyone up for registration at the old building. People will still have to stop at the new building to pay park fees, but then get out of that small parking lot and head down to registration, which always seems to take the longest.

I think the park should be taking monies at 0800. I know that's earlier than they want to open, but we're talking about 50 rigs x $50 on a shitty weekend at the beginning of March. There should be some concession there to accomodate us starting to wheel at 0900 when the park officially opens.

i think the idea of moving tech and registration back to the other buuilding is smart. it is easier to get one long line there with a badlands guy checking for flag coolers and wrist band. and some naxja guys checking tech. (no im not talking same line)
that parking lot made is cramped and confusing.

i do think the VFW can still hold us but i agree those table were smashed together. i saw people passing up open seats simply because they could not get to them easily. there seemed to be a whole lot of space in the middle there we could utilize.

as far as the food goes, i liked it and it filled me up real good. that being said, i assume the BOD got a good deal on the food and maybe that's what helped pay for the radios? because although delicious, it was a cheap meal.

over all, i have gone to 5 and they get better every year.

P.S. obstacle course> barbie jeep races
that was fun

Curious as to what happened to tech inspection? I was not inspected nor was anyone I talked to. From talking to a few people I was told that an xj got out in a group without front recovery points? I was not there to witness this but if that is true that is a serious problem and needs to be adressed. Other then that and the cheap food that was our dinner this year I loved this years WF as much as the others.

I think part of the Tech problem this year is the same problem we had with getting packages to people. The parking lot setup sucks right now and we dealt with it the best we could. The crazy part is if this is Badlands new setup they will have a bigger problem during UMC events than they did with our group. As for the food. we had many more people tell us they liked the potato bar better then the salsbury steak we have had every other year. It will always be very hard to please everyone on this subject.

Ram" BOD trying to please all" Rod

Curious as to what happened to tech inspection? I was not inspected nor was anyone I talked to. From talking to a few people I was told that an xj got out in a group without front recovery points? I was not there to witness this but if that is true that is a serious problem and needs to be adressed. Other then that and the cheap food that was our dinner this year I loved this years WF as much as the others.

Tech was a mess with the new building. We tried the best we could to tech people, but I realize we missed some. It was easier with the old setup because we could have everyone line up, tech them, and then they took their tech sheet in to pick up their registration packets. This was just mass chaos with the tiny parking lot.

I went thru tech Friday morning. In fact, one of the 'techies' found a problem that will eventually crop up with my rear tow point.

I will admit that it was a quick tech but it was 4 below that morning and I'm sure that played a part in it.

Dan was saying something about Kyle had plans to re do the parking lot up by the dealership. I'm not dumb and I know why he wants us and everyone else up there. It's to pimp his Polaris stuff.

I never went through any tech at all? I talked to the guy working the gate and he said thats how its staying and they're thinking about making the old registration building a restaurant. I went there about a month ago and they had trailers lined up down the road waiting to get in, not a very efficient set up that's for sure.

My opinion on tech is it was kind of hard to try and get everyone because of where tech was held this year because of the badlands new office location. It's not like you can go put up a gate at the turn into badlands and say "Pass tech or not get in" I agree last year went smoother but there was different circumstances this year.

And with the food. From what I've heard Robie's has been catering to MWC for years. They've been good to us, we need to be good to them. Attica is a small town, there isn't a whole lot of options. Also there can't be a huge selection of food to please everyone because that would just be redundant. For having the meal included in cost of registration I thought everything was great!

As for the VFW. Again as i've been told MWC has been using it for WF for years now. They have been good to us, hell I saw at the bar MWC stickers on the fridgerators, thats awesome in it self. VFW is part of winterfest and yes it does get packed, but it's still worked out this far.

With the raffle, I heard people were complainging they didn't win. Lets just be thankful MWC buys awesome members grand prizes, and that our sponsors hook it up every year and theres great things raffled off. Yes theres nothing you can do if someone buys 2-300 in tickets, but atleast that money is going to a good place.

Winterfest is the biggest naxja event, it would be next to impossible to please everyone. I think this year went great personally and would like to thank all of BOD for doing a great job.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents on the tech inspection:

The road to the campground is long. There's no reason why people could have parked down that road and walked back to the office. No one is checking wristbands until you get down to the old office.

If you thought registration and tech inspection was a pain because of the little parking lot, you could have parked and walked.

Sorry if that sounds mean, I just got done telling a pilot to go to hell.

Sorry if that sounds mean, I just got done telling a pilot to go to hell.

Please tell me you also gave him the look......

Ram" The ReedHeep Look " Rod

it was planned in two groups, and we had leaders for two groups. The leaders said they wanted one group, which I questioned if it was a good idea. In the future I will go with my gut and not allow a group that size.

as far as the food goes, i liked it and it filled me up real good. that being said, i assume the BOD got a good deal on the food and maybe that's what helped pay for the radios? because although delicious, it was a cheap meal.

over all, i have gone to 5 and they get better every year.

P.S. obstacle course> barbie jeep races
that was fun

We changed the food this year to attempt to improve that portion of the event, we did not change it to save money. We were told about other options and quite frankly it made my hungry the way she described it.

We were able to purchase the radios because we have a strong group that supports our raffle, the radios, coolers and camping is all because we spend a lot of money on the raffle, and the bod spends a lot of time making our raffle much better than others. When I took the helm of the MWC, one of my concerns was where we were with money, much to my surprise, we had a lot of it, so we started spending it on the members. We do get money from national to pay for 1/3 of the camping, but the rest is donations from our raffle.

Each year we are posed with new situations that we have to overcome, the location of the bl office was a big one for us this year. We will be making changes next year.

If you remember last year, we changed our registration to the old bl office, and we were on the trails early. This year not so much.

Dan was saying something about Kyle had plans to re do the parking lot up by the dealership. I'm not dumb and I know why he wants us and everyone else up there. It's to pimp his Polaris stuff.

Dan said no such thing, Dan did say they need to change the lot.

Kyle never wanted us up there for his profit, WE wanted to be there to help simplify things for the members. One location for two stops.

With the raffle, I heard people were complainging they didn't win. Lets just be thankful MWC buys awesome members grand prizes, and that our sponsors hook it up every year and theres great things raffled off. Yes theres nothing you can do if someone buys 2-300 in tickets, but atleast that money is going to a good place.

Every year we hear the same complaint. This year we spent nearly $200 on ticket tumblers to mix things up. I personally spent over $200 on raffle tickets and won a t shirt and local food coupons. Of course I want to win big, who doesn't? However my attitude is that I'm supporting the club, win or lose. We cant have the event that we do if we don't have money, the only way we get money is through the raffle, and we do good.

I don't want my responses to sound defensive, because they aren't intended to be, please read them as explanations, not defense.

Dan said no such thing, Dan did say they need to change the lot.

Kyle never wanted us up there for his profit, WE wanted to be there to help simplify things for the members. One location for two stops.

I don't want my responses to sound defensive, because they aren't intended to be, please read them as explanations, not defense.

My apologies, I could have sworn you said Kyle was planning to run the lot around the polaris shop.

Back