• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Paint should I use for new axle

XJdePlato

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a Ford 8.8 and it sure is rusty. I would like my new axle to look like a new axle. I live about a mile from the ocean so I have a lot of salt in the air to deal with. I was thinking about using a wire brush at the end of a drill to take it down to bare metal. But what primer and paint should I use? I was thinking por-15 but I've read that it will only adhere to a rusty surface and I would perfer to remove the rust. I don't think a regular rattle can paint job will keep the rust away, but there may be some product I don't know about. Thanks for any advice.

I would get a cup brush for an angle grinder and go to town. Usually the drill wire brush is not powerful enough. I would then just get some professional rustoleum to paint it. I have had bad luck with por 15 and do not think it is worth the price. The good thing about spray paint is you can always touch it up in a minute.

K

XJdePlato said:
I just got a Ford 8.8 and it sure is rusty. I would like my new axle to look like a new axle. I live about a mile from the ocean so I have a lot of salt in the air to deal with. I was thinking about using a wire brush at the end of a drill to take it down to bare metal. But what primer and paint should I use? I was thinking por-15 but I've read that it will only adhere to a rusty surface and I would perfer to remove the rust. I don't think a regular rattle can paint job will keep the rust away, but there may be some product I don't know about. Thanks for any advice.

remove the rust and use a linex type material...I would think that would be ok

Paint it "rust" colored hammered texture paint -

that will give you a lasting finish that will never go away!

Thanks guys. Is professional rustoleum available at regular retail stores like Home Depot? I'm guessing that regular metal primer should work alright. I'm so excited to replace my D35, it'll be great.

I got some from home depot the other day. I do not know yet if it is worth the extra coin yet. They claim it is a bit stronger. We will see.

K

I used hammered metal from rustoleum with a flat black base coat. 1 can of each. It turned out awsome.

I live in Minnesota and they use salt on snowy roads. No spray paint will hold up to this. Even brushed on Rustolem doesn't last more than 2 years. I just helped a guy paint his rock rails with POR-15 and the instructions said to sand blast or wire brush the metal and/or you can paint over light rust. The stuff is really thick and it cures flexible and is super tough to remove from anything including your hands. I spilled a little drip on the trail Jeep and when I peeled up the 6" dribble it came up all in one piece and will stretch and fold and then return to its original shape.

I will be painting my new axles with POR-15

I have had rust come throught por15, I have had por15 flack off, and I have had por15 work perfectly. I am not sure what the deal is with it.

After replacing the floor in my jeep I have decided that it is impossible to keep things rust free. Paint it, if in two years some rust spots show up, grind it off and paint it again. Rust prevention is not a one time thing, it is regular maintenance, no way around it.

K

Tim_MN said:
I live in Minnesota and they use salt on snowy roads. No spray paint will hold up to this. Even brushed on Rustolem doesn't last more than 2 years. I just helped a guy paint his rock rails with POR-15 and the instructions said to sand blast or wire brush the metal and/or you can paint over light rust. The stuff is really thick and it cures flexible and is super tough to remove from anything including your hands. I spilled a little drip on the trail Jeep and when I peeled up the 6" dribble it came up all in one piece and will stretch and fold and then return to its original shape.

I will be painting my new axles with POR-15
But when you compare costs of the two, and the chances with POR15 that it wont work properly... I'd personally rather paint it every 2-3 years (do it when you service the inards).

imma honky said:
But when you compare costs of the two, and the chances with POR15 that it wont work properly... I'd personally rather paint it every 2-3 years (do it when you service the inards).
you have to service the inards???:gee:

i just run it till it breaks then replace it!!

i do agree though, rustolium or for the cheap but tuff finish the 98 cent a can wall mart stuff is the bomb in so cal where we are. just re paint when needed, we dont have salt on the roads to deal with and the ocean isnt that bad here, i have been here all my life and my vehicles have never gotten rusty ( top or bottom )

Last edited:
Go to Home Depot and get a product called Hammerite Rust Cap. No primer needed. It is in the section where the metal gate stuff is. Not the paint section. It is the best stuff by far.

The reality is that you'll need to knock the rust off and repaint every year or so to keep it looking fresh and to keep the crud from sticking when you go wheeling. If you use your rig, you'll need to touch it up underneath occasionally, no matter what you pay for it. Best rattle can primer I've found is the etching type primer that bites into the metal, NAPA has some for about $5.00 a can. You can then topcoat with hammered type paint or multiple coats of Rusttuff Krylon. Remember, multiple coats applied properly will last longer than 1 heavy coat without primer.

All things considered, the best way to go is powdercoat, then re-paint over it as stuff gets scratched from trail use. Works for armor and bumpers, but an axle......your call here.

Your paint job on anything is only as good as the prep and prime job.

Last edited:
steagall9301 said:
you have to service the inards???:gee:

i just run it till it breaks then replace it!!

i do agree though, rustolium or for the cheap but tuff finish the 98 cent a can wall mart stuff is the bomb in so cal where we are. just re paint when needed, we dont have salt on the roads to deal with and the ocean isnt that bad here, i have been here all my life and my vehicles have never gotten rusty ( top or bottom )
smartass. :viking: I like to change my diff fluid every few years and throw on some fresh RTV. Lube is your friend.

imma honky said:
smartass. :viking: I like to change my diff fluid every few years and throw on some fresh RTV. Lube is your friend.
i kind of enjoy the sillycone some myself, and ifen thars nuf sillycone i might just lube her up too:kissyou:

( can you feel the internet love here:loveu: )

P.S. i liked your origional sig line, now back to toppic

Thanks guys! I can't wait to have my new axle in my jeep, it'll be great. It's going to have a real locker and I'm going to take the oppertunity to lower my gears and install a locker upfront too.

I know others have mentioned it, however I will too.
I'm preparing a XJ D44 for my rig now and I've been using a 4.5" angle gringer with a grinding wheel and then going into the corners with a high powered air drill with a wire brush. It worked great. Because there were a few small places that had a little rust I just Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (#7769). The primer just dried and looks great on a test spot I tried to srcap off, it didn't want to without a lot of effort. I'm doing to use Rustoleum Hammered finish on the rest of it and I'm sure it will hold up well. I can't see spending tons of money on POR-15 when the rocks will scrap it off. Heck, I can just get under with a can of the Rustoleum and spray it again later... Plus its cheap.

Good Luck.

Back