• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of "deals" did you get for your XJ?

3200 for my 89 pioneer with 198k!! The thing was the cleanest xj i have ever seen in my life, not one door ding on it. I bought it with intentions to be a nice DD but then I wrecked my other 89 so the pioneer had to pay by being turned into the double duty xj :( I think the kid who i got it form would shoot me if he seen it now. Had to remove the hacked "alarm" the previous owner had installed and a new steering column and shes been good to me. My other 89 laredo i got for 500. 121k and never needed anything until I put her on its top :(

85 Laredo $400 Needed New Engine (2200), now has about 6000 total invested on rebuilding it.
88 Laredo $1200 Needed nothing, only changed the fluids and put new tires and wheels on it. Now its needing a 2" lift all around and all new bushings.

Wicked old thread, found while searching for something.

1996 Country, AW4, 138k, 231. Needed Battery, new 8.25, Cat & Muffler, and front U-Joints. $600. About $800 invested in parts and labor including parts for a tune-up, oil change and tranny fluid.

paid 800 for my MJ (208k on the odometer, 91 shortbed 4.0/AW-4 2WD), needs a lot of work but I've already got a whole bunch of stuff fixed. Should be 4WD within a few months.

Got ripped off a bit on my XJ, it was in perfect running/driving condition when I got it so the price was way higher. I didn't know enough to fix the thing yet so I had to pick one up in working condition instead of a fixer upper, now I wouldn't ever buy a working Jeep, they're too expensive.

I bought old blue (97 sport, 4.0, AW4) in 2000 with 50,000 miles on it. Paid $5100. Bought from private seller.

Bought a 97 2 door SE, 4.0, AW4 in 2003 with 40,000 miles on it for $4500. Bought at GSA auction.

Both are looooong paid for.

Old Blue has 210,000 miles on it. So figuring I got my money's worth out of her, I started her build this year.

The black 2 door only has 130,000 miles on it. I am doing some repairs, mild upgrades, and will let my teenage daughters drive it a couple of years. Once they graduate from high school, I'm going to build it.

Free for a 1990 Wagoneer, came with a parts wagoneer to redo the front end. the 90 has 4.0, 242 t-case, and auto. the other one is older, so it doesnt matter.

oh, sorry. the '90 has hit a deer, but other than the body damage, runs great. put a battery in it and drove it on the trailer.

I paid $700 for my 1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L 5 spd 4x4 Dana 30/35 with 119,000 miles. The clutch needs some work, otherwise, it's in great condition. The drivers side floor has some slight through-rust, but, I'm gonna buy a replacement floor pan. I'll probably have about another $700 in preventative maintenance parts. I'll consider lifting it later this summer.

paid $1700 bucks for my 99 body had 195k on it but the motor had been replaced with 96k. it has heated leather power seats, fully loaded, tinted windows, no rust. best deal ive gotten on an XJ bought it the second i saw her

$500 for my 91 XJ. Rear main, dizzy, and oil change, and it ran like a champ. Blew the rad out rescuing a CJ once....my 20 MPG+ DD, with 196,xxx miles

$1200 for my wife's 95 ZJ with 235,xxx miles. Bad front pinion, bad 249 t-case as the result of 3 different size tires on full-time 4wd. Came with parts ZJ, which donated d30 for the front, and 242 t-case (and new hatch, among other things...) Sold more than $400 in parts out of that donor before crushing it....

$800 bought me a 1987 XJ with a 4.0 AW4 NP231 Dana 30/Dana 44 with 3.54 gears. I bought it when I was 18, my dad didn't think it would last the summer. It's been almost 6 years, and it is still running like a champ with no major work done to it.

$400 for a 2001 XJ Sport, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 8.25, D30, 155K miles. Body was straight and interior was clean other than it formerly belonged to a smoker and stunk to high heaven and had a couple of burns in the seat and floor. Engine had a spun bearing, replaced it with a $500 junkyard engine and sunk another $500 in parts into the rig, so $1400 total. Has been my DD for 6 months and 12K miles.

$500 for a 1999 XJ Classic, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 8.25, D30 with 130K miles. Belonged to a friend of mine who smashed up the front right and bent the frame. Had the frame pulled, fender and bumper replaced, and put a new radiator in it. Cost me about $1700 for all of the work so $2200 total. Gave it to my girlfriend.

$900 for a 98 XJ Sport with 74K miles, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 8.25, D30. Has a salvage title and did not run. Required a new fuel pump and ECU which ran me about $200 plus about $125 for towing - $1325 total. Currently is sitting in my shop with the interior gutted. I'm going to be using it for a donor for my one of my MJ projects

$0 for an 88 MJ Pioneer, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, D35, D30 with 78K miles. It was given to me by my parents, who bought it from the original owner, my grandfather. I'm currently doing some rust repairs on it and it will eventually become my work truck.

How about deals I missed out on.

A guy calls me about a '93 XJ Sport he has for sale. I'm at work so I let the call go to voicemail. I listen to it later and from what I gather the truck has 117K miles, 4.0L, AW4, 4DR, 4WD. Says the running gear is good and it just needs a little bit of work to run well. He never mentions a price so I assume he's looking at at least a grand. I don't call him back until a week later, but he's already gotten rid of it. Sold it to a junkyard for $150!!!

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

$800.00 for a 1999 4x4 2dr Sport, Auto, 4.0 Pwr windows, locks, A/C, newer stock size tires. No Mods. No rust pretty clean, few little dings but overall in good shape paint and body wise.

Needed both front hubs, passanger side axle joint. Seat fabric in good condition, vinyl not so much. Still needs power door lock switch on Dr. side replaced, fuel pump check valve/filter replaced ( I am pretty good at the key cycleing routine :). Has the "good" cylinder head.

My DD and runs great.

my first one is a 85 xj white 2 door 2.5l 5 speed 231 30/35 i got for 600 off a friend. had 3.73 gears i put a 3 inch lift and 31 and drove it for 2 years. got fed up with the lack of power and got the jeep my friend ruined. its a 89 xj white 2 door 4.0 aw5 231 30/35 i got for 360. he was out wheeling it when it stopped running. literally the only thing he said about it was it was running then it wasn't. so between that day and when i got it the head was removed and the cylinders were filled with paper towel and the block was covered with paper towel. lots of rust there lol. well after a week of cleaning teh cylinders the best i could i had a head redone and slapped it on and she started like a champ lol. sense then i have done a apn header 99+ intake and tb. she runs good but still has some quirks

Picked mine up totally free from the 'rents.....they had bought a new vehicle and it had been sitting for awhile since they had no need for a third vehicle. Picked it up in the summer of '07 and my dad died in April of '08 (it was his truck). I know we shouldn't be sentimentally attached to cars/trucks, but I'm pretty much keeping this one forever.

1993 Country, white and gray...totally stock with 140k on the odo.

I got owned on my first Jeep. Paid 6000 for a 97 with just over 100k. Put a bunch of money into it then a drunk lady pulled in front of me and i got Jeep#2 for 600. Then once I got my insurance check I got Jeep #3 for 3500. Its another 97 with just under 96k(according to the gauge cluster anyways. It came with brand new 31's and a BB.

Nobody's gonna get close to this one:

1990 XJ, rough body, no engine.

Five new 31" BFG ATs -- $750
ARB Bullbar bumper -- $900
Warn M8000 Winch -- $960
Kennessaw tire carrier -- $800
Safari Snorkel kit -- $400
Rusty's flares -- $350

And the kickers:
3.5" Rubicon Express full leaf lift kit w/shocks, new in box -- $1000
Advance Auto 4.0 crate engine, new in the box -- $2000

Better than seven grand total in it, plus whatever I can get parting out the XJ itself.

Purchase price?

$1325

Pics: http://forum.torcoffroad.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=576&hilit=score

Robert

Last edited:
Back