• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of "deals" did you get for your XJ?

dude...

i saw this post a couple hours ago and saw nothing special of this picture. then for some reason (now) in a slightly drunken stupor i noticed something. this bridge... its right there at pretty lake in OV. and then looking at your location it only confirmed my assumption. and then i got sad.... :(

sorry, i get home sick a lot, and i mean a LOT. i moved to Mi in mid december. have you seen this cherokee rolling around anywhere before then?
l_e70d7b7d18242800c69ea5cabb7b29af.jpg

l_83f3942dbd8b43af9007f96dea3effe9.jpg

pretty lake, it is:yelclap: yours looks familiar in the pics-- I'd hafta see it in person to say for sure. Lemme know if you're back in town and I'll buy the first.

700 bucks for my 91! 161k, rock sliders, F150 coils, another axle(8.25), basket, cut front end, a bitchin CB radio and a torque converter locker thing.. just needed new tires and a headliner. he was getting a yota built and just wanted to get rid of the "old" jeep. his loss my gain!:cheers:
l_492c953b9e8b4d00a651232601b6c6e0.jpg

Last edited:
I got a 98 XJ Se model, with 107k miles, Zero rust, 4 almost new tires, wrecked front header panel front bumper and rear hatch (glass shattered, and felt it just was easier to replace whole hatch. Starts, runs, and drove for 100 bucks,( one hundred dollars). Found right paint code for all 3 panels, and it looks as if nothing ever happened, new brakes and cooling system all around and its like new.

other than initial investment and tires I have spent less than 800 bucks on the XJ. This includes but not limited to the following-

swaybar discos, TB spacer, Hyper coil, overhead console, swingout, brushguard, full factory skid plate package, radiator, full tune up, white face guages, Alpine CD player, sound bar, amp and subwoofers, removable doors, wheels, harmonic balancer, glasspack, exhaust manifold, steering column, dashboard...the list continues. I like to think I got some pretty good deals on stuff.

'95 Cherokee Country- 4.0, AW4, 231... Traded a total POS '92 S-10 Blazer and $350 for it in '01. It came with front end damage and a bum transfer case, but perfect paint and about 100k miles. I beat the living hell out of it in high school and sold it at the beginning of my senior year for $900. I missed it after that... so much that in my sophmore year of college I tracked it down and bought it back for $2000... with a new paint job, working AC, new tires, new shocks, rebuilt transfer case, new rear hatch shocks and a new windshield. I feel like I got a great deal twice on the same XJ! Now, the cost of building it up- that's another story... and I haven't even touched my axles yet!
DSCF0063.jpg

2001 limited, power everything, near flawless paint, nice interior, RE 5.5 extreme duty, almost new 33" MTZ's on nice 16's, and a super strong running motor. OH, and ARB's and 4.56's front and rear. 7,500 :D

IMG_0952.jpg

Sorry about the blurry picture, it looked better at thumb nail size haha

i bought my 91 for $5 off craigslist. 4dr, 4.0HO, laredo, 2wd, 170,00mi. Seller had it advertised as needing a rear main seal, leaking excessive amounts of oil for $250. I drove it and found that it also had what appeared to be rod knock, but was otherwise very clean. I told the seller i was not interested as i did not want it bad enough to shell out for a rebuild as i have other projects. at this point his haggered wife walked out and told me to just take it. the seller went in and got the title, and i gave him the smallest bill in my wallet just for the hell of it. Tore it down the next day and found that the rear main was hardly the culprit, instead someone had removed the pan, bent the crap out of the gasket surface, and reinstalled. Got a pan off craigslist for $20, replaced the main seal and oil pump for the hell of it, and inspected all the rods and found them to be tight. After much head scratching i found the tc bolts to be loose causing the knock i'd heard. $250 at the jy got me a 4wd aw4, np231, disco free front 30, drivelines, and some spare control arms and shocks. I then bought 5 virtually new 32x9.5x15 bias tsl's from my service writer for $400, 4 of them on factory powdered coated jeep wheels. Welded the rear, cut and bashed the fenders and tub, and wheel the piss out of it quote often.

That looks so good! Best cut doors i have ever seen!! wow... some day, I would love to do something like this! I would like to incorporate a wrangler style zipper in window to the cut doors, just in case of inclimate weather on the trail

thanx-- the zipper windows have been stuck in my head for a couple years. I just can't seem to build up the energy to make 'em happen. I've got a full sized cove that she sleeps under when weather is bad and the original full doors to throw on for the winter, but one of these days, I'll score some marine grade canvas and probably use snaps and magnets to attach some windowed covers.

thanx-- the zipper windows have been stuck in my head for a couple years. I just can't seem to build up the energy to make 'em happen. I've got a full sized cove that she sleeps under when weather is bad and the original full doors to throw on for the winter, but one of these days, I'll score some marine grade canvas and probably use snaps and magnets to attach some windowed covers.

Awesome dude. If you do it, post it up! I'm sure a lot of people would love to see it! Best of luck man!

EDIT: I was going to ask you if you had a thread/write up on your doors? more pics even? ...dont mean to jack the thread haha

Last edited:
my mint 93 xj i paid $500 for, it got pretty beat as a trail rig over the next few years. now i just picked up a rust free white 99 xj classic for $1600. building it up very soon

My jeep was introduced to me when I was 13 as kind of a hammy down I bought from my friend,but it came in a kind of screwy costco like package buy one get get ten times the problems free type deal lol .First this is the one I wanted 1991 XJ base,purple ext on tan int with a gold pin stripe with 237k 4 litro ax-15,np231 non disco hpd30 ohh,we cant forget the custom orange peel paint,rattling lifter and wheezing compression issue other than that it was solid ONLY 875 bucks and it came with a 92 laredo with 156k white with the gaudy looking wood trim with 1 seat (drivers seat lol).It didnt run had sat for 2 years because it got a new motor when I was 15 and my friends dad hacked it all up and the rig still wouldnt fire,so the wiring was trashed one trip to pull apart and wrenching in some seats and many wires later with some help from my uncle (hes an electrician lol) had her purring like a kitten. But heres the catch the 91 was grandmas literally from new until I got it and the laredo was dads,and he had a heavy foot so heavy it was through the floor board,nothin like sheetmetal,tackwelds and insulation to bring that resale value right up hehe

Last edited:
Back