• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of "deals" did you get for your XJ?

89jeeplaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my 89 XJ w/207,000 miles for $600.

The good-Runs very strong. It has I6, 231 auto, 4x4, D30/D35. New Pioneer CD player and rockford fosgate door speakers. Very clean interior w/ power. Gauge cluster. Everything works mechanically.

Bad -Needs new tires. Rusted out rockers and about entire bottom 4", winshield leaks and cracked, paint shot, needs new shocks. Has a new muffler, but no cat. Area here doesn't require emission testing now though.

The underbody seems fairly intact, no big holes, but my one concern is a little rot in about a 6" length of the unibody frame. I'll probably just weld some patch metal around it after I clean it up.

Had to replace valve cover gasket ($10), had to replace track bar ($50) and fixed high idle issue.

A fair deal I guess, not the best, but certainly not the worst.:yelclap:

Oh yeah, I bought with the intention to off road it and get a little bit up. Looks not important. May be my work rig also.

$350 for a 95 Cherokee Sport.

Vehicle was involved in a slight roll, but was repaired. Lotsa grinding noises from the rear, all the linkages are a little messed up, but i drove it 55 miles home with no problems in the middle of a snow storm in 4-Hi.

Nice rig for only $350

1989 Laredo 4.0 120K, 242 D30/D35 - $500.00

Good: Interior - Power everything, very clean. Exterior - Pretty straight, paint is a mess, no rust, no (major) dents. Drivetrain - Solid. Had to replace gaskets, etc. Normal for mileage.

Bad: Not much. Had to replace the alternator, a couple fuel pumps, radiator, normal stuff. No complaints.

88 Xj I6 4wd base model $500 134k miles
needed rear main seal other then that all was good.

89 XJ I6 2wd Loaded model, needs a new engine. gonna be daily beater
$200 super clean

Price wise I paid a lot....more than I should have...

But what I got was a 99 4.0 that at the time had only 62K on it (bought in Jan. of 2005). It's got power windows, locks, keyless entry (came with both remotes), automatic and selec-trac. I didn't think i'd like the selec-trac that much, but I don't think i'll ever have another Jeep with out it. Any time it starts raining hard and I begin to lose traction, just throw it in full time and keep on goin.

Plus I havent had anything too bad go wrong with it just yet. Replaced the Valve cover and oil filter adaptor seals, tune up, changed just about all the fluids. About 31K later and she's been good to me....can't really complain. Not to mention it's survived two major accidents, with no bent "frame."

hmmm '91 Loraedo (spell check :D) for free to me (parents got from some kid mom works with for $500. Was going to use as parts vehicle for wrecked jeep currently in yard) with 121K miles on it. Paid $160 to have rear drive shaft fixed. Now my DD. Biggest problem... the windows leak, like i rarely wash it because all the rear windows seem to not know what a seal is. And there is a big dent right rear fender well, but that adds character.

1994 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 litre, automatic, 231 t-case, power windows, locks, and remote mirrors that work! (Rare anywhere salt is used.) The body has no rust, the t-case is the smoothest one I've ever used, the door locks are a little sticky but will be fixed soon. 192 thousand miles on it and it doesn't leak oil or burn it. A few clunks and squeaks, but it's a Jeep so I don't pay it much mind.

I bought it for $1000 Canadian. (Which works out to about $1.50 American I think. :D ) It needed new wipers, brakes, and thermostat. The only other problems it has are badly peeled clear-coat and the fact that all of the gauges aren't metric; I have to do math on the fly when I'm driving in order to really know how fast I'm going.

:)

'94 SE 2-door
86k miles, 4.0/AW4/NP231 combo, new tires, new manifold, new brakes, no rust, perfect paint, all for 3700. not a huge deal, but real good for my area and its miles

Got my 1989 cherokee 4dr Limited for $200 with out a motor,came with power everything and leather seats, Body was mint with just the clear peeling, needed brakes front and rear and a power steering box, I now have a 4.5" lift with 31's,backbone and 8000# winch, shes a machine now. I now have $4500 cnd tied up including a new shortblock waiting to go in.

1990 XJ 4.0, AW4, NP231, D30 D35, 127K $1850 it was cherry....and then i got it and put that poor jeep through hell and back
1988 YJ 4.2, 727, np231, d30 d35 80K $1000
-Keep Jeepin

1991 Sport for $1400. Had 140K miles on it and I bought it from a friend. It had been stolen, slightly wrecked, and forgotten about in a South GA impound yard.

4 years and another 50K miles later, it's been almost flawless as my DD and bike-trip vehicle. The clear coat is messed up like every other one I've seen, but that will be taken care soon. It's getting a fresh paint job and a 3" lift by summer.

I paid $500 for my 98 sport 4.0, aw4, 231 W/122,567 on it. Has a rebuilt salvage title (pass front "unibody frame" under the core support is crunched for about 5") Causes no problems. Has a few issues. Just replaced the MAP sensor and might need a O2 because the tailpipe was crushed almost closed. Cut it off behind the muffler right after I got it. Crack in grill, drivers rear window reg was broken, key broken off in rear hatch, wipers only work on high, HVAC stuck on the defrost vent mode. Interior is near perfect someone cut up the front door speaker wires so I ran new ones.

Biggest issue was it bucks when crusing. Had a MAP voltage out or range code in it. Just replaced it. Reset it and just need to drive it some to learn the new sensor. It has gotten alot better for the most part but still does it some. If it does not get any better a new O2 should slove it all. Runs fine with lots of power then you step on it.

95 country with 171k at the time for $1700. AW4, D30/8.25, paint is in good condition, minimal exterior rust besides the floors. It had rusted floors though, found that out later. Fixed them for $100 worth of materials so it wasn't bad!

Fixed all the rust so it's awesome :)

Bassntruck, if it's stuck on defrost you have a loss of vacuum to the HVAC controls, FYI.

I paid $8200 (including taxes) for a black '99 XJ Limited with 60k miles, AW4, nv242, chry8.25 with trac-lock, leather, Inifiniti sound with 1 previous owner and it's whole life was spent in Georgia (no rust). I dunno if that's a deal... but I'm happy with it.

I'm just wondering what I'm going to buy when I can't find another XJ...

1995 Country 4.0, ~99,000 miles, $1250

Good: Had recent water pump, tranmission shifts great, interior is pretty nice, no major leaks, no rust holes that I have seen

Bad: Had to replace radiator, still have to reweld driver's door hinges, am going to repaint the two tone cladding since two of the flares are messed up... frankly all the of the cladding looks rough, so I'm replacing two flares, two bumper caps, and two door moldings since it's driving me crazy.

I repainted all of my flares, bumpers, and the below the door things because I had to replace my bumper and couldn't find matching paint. So just paint it all to match :)

I paid 3k for mine... 94 sport... 4wd, 4.0, 5spd. The A/C didnt work, and at the time I bought it only the defroster would work. The lady wanted 4k, offered her 3 because of the problems. Went home, had the defroster issue fixed in 2 minutes, with no cost. Haven't fixed the A/C yet but I will eventually.

90 XJ Laredo w/towing pkg. FREE. Since then (03) I've put about 3K into it and a LOT of work. 3.5"Lift, head (complete job), rear main, TC, wheels, axles, interior (seats, headliner, speakers, CD) lights, electrical etc. new windows, heater core, A/C compressor

Pretty much brand new almost everything (trimming fenders this weekend).

Back