• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do YOU have for Diff covers, Frt - Bck???

I have ruffstuff front and rear with countersunk holes. I think they are great.

I did have a hell of a time getting them to seal, though. I put them on with the RTV wet. I tried letting it set for 15 min, then 30 minutes before screwing them on. Still no seal. I ended up buying LubeLocker gaskets F & R and they sealed just fine. I recommend these gaskets over the RTV now.

i had a hard time getting my covers onto the axle and not messing up the rtv. a solution i found was to take a diff cover bolt into my local nut and bolt shop and asked for a piece of allthread rod that was the same. took it home and cut to size to make "alignment dowels" to help with lineing it up without fubar-ing the rtv

:doh: don't tell me these things. i might buy them

Thanks ok man. I'm sure I could ask a vendor that carrys them if nobody has one already off their rig.

Thanks though!
Billy
I've got a D44 cover sitting in my living room at home right now. I looked at it last night, read your post, pictured the bathroom scale, then got lazy...I'll weigh it though when I get home today. :D

Riddler front, Ruffstuff rear. Neither has ever leaked or had any issues except keeping them painted.:us:

custom front guard.... Rugged Ridge rear cover

361049282.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

basically the less unsprung weight the better a tire will stick to the road at speed.

I am not sure that it matters a lot when we crawl at 2-5 MPH but for the Jeep speed folks it does matter much more.

ok, thanks. i was looking at it from a wheeling aspect, and that's where i got confused.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but for wheeling it would be the opposite, no? meaning that a heavier axle (unsprung) lowers our COG, which is advantageous.

ok, thanks. i was looking at it from a wheeling aspect, and that's where i got confused.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but for wheeling it would be the opposite, no? meaning that a heavier axle (unsprung) lowers our COG, which is advantageous.
Depends on the wheeling. Maybe for rock crawling, yes, but as he said, for JeepSpeed, no, you still want lower unsprung weight. Or even for mud/sand drags. Heavier wheels/tires take more torque to start them spinning, thus slowing your acceleration more than the same weight added to the vehicle's body would.

I just want to keep the weight down in general! I'll add it a little more carelessly to the axles, but I'm still concerned about the weight as a whole.
Billy

PS - I just ordered a pair of Riddlers. I'll weigh them for reference!

Bottom line, less weight=more power. This case is no different, but it also makes the car handle poorly. Also, the more weight below the springs, the more shock there is to send through them (rougher ride). Just a general all around rule of thumb.

Now, if your rig goes 2mph, has ungodly gear reduction, and only sees the kind of rocks without tar on them - then yes this is pretty much irrelevant.

I have an ARB up front on the 30 and a Solid that I picked up during the half off sale on the 8.8.

The drain plug on the ARB is nice, park facing down hill and pull the plug. It has some really strong magnets on the plugs to let you know if you're in trouble.

Back