• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you break on your XJ today

Was driving along when all of a sudden it sounded like a cat dying in my transmission. Turns out my throw-out bearing exploded. And when I say exploded...

2dalx6u.jpg

I mean EXPLODED. Lol.

I broke my power steering reservior.. stupid return house... was trying to pull it off and frekin. nipple ont the back just broke off.. had a hell of a time getting the plastic out of the hose.. it was like glued in there...

Dented my oil pan too... not even on the trail... in my drive way.. stupid jack.... and stupid me...

I guess its a break...3 snapped bolts on my ARB housing.
BallJointRepair3.jpg

I just replaced this TO bearing for a friend in his wrangler, it fell apart in my hands and bearings were sitting in the bottom of the bell housing.
IMG_4853.jpg

I broke my power steering reservior.. stupid return house... was trying to pull it off and frekin. nipple ont the back just broke off.. had a hell of a time getting the plastic out of the hose.. it was like glued in there...

Dented my oil pan too... not even on the trail... in my drive way.. stupid jack.... and stupid me...

Hey I have bent a couple oil pans...there not a jack point without wood I learned.

I broke three vise's today pressing in and out shock bushings out of jk and wj shocks. Now I dont have a vise again. F my life.

FiveNdime, that's exactly how my TO bearing looked when it came out. Right down to the ball bearings rolling 'round in the bellhousing... Heh.

Kinda irritating that it takes about an hour and a half to yank everything out for a 30 second replacement process. Blah.

I did the two piece carrier conversion.
IMG_0580.jpg

Locker teeth are pretty chipped up...
IMG_0575.jpg

Lots of energy gets transferred when things go boom.
IMG_0578.jpg

I didn't notice any new noise while driving, but the ring gear did have some new markings on it. If I had to guess it was probably due to some carrier fragments in the oil. I'm crossing my fingers the gears can be salvaged.
IMG_0577.jpg

If your going to break something you may as well do right. :D

Time for a Detroit.

Well it's not something on my XJ that I broke but I manage to break my table vise while I was changing my axle shaft u-joints, does that count?

Vise002.jpg

Vise001.jpg

You no whats worse then cast iron? Cast iron on something made in china lol. Vise was gave to me from my uncle so now I guess it is time to go buy a better one now.

front right brake caliper froze up on the way out to go wheelin. Took it off plugged the hose and kept goin! I love Jeeps.

or a real front axle....................

I did the same thing when I ran my BFG Krawlers. Then I went to a rubi44 with superiors and ctms and it lasted 3 years.

My axle is fake? Well crap.. that explains all the problems i'm having lately :D

Well I drew the short straw because Im running 84 axles first year xj and they dont have a Flag nut just a threaded hole and I now know why they have a flag nut because without swaybar hooked up the bolt backs out:twak: Stupid things used to fall out on the road in 85 they went to a flag nut now I will just cut a window and use a flange bolt and nut with locktite
:looser:

On the way to work this morning the heep just died. I couldnot get it to restart. I pulled off the busy road onto a side street while under no power. At first I thought it was the cps again. So I tapped on it. No go. I started looking and checking all my ignition componants ant conections. While pushing in on my sparkplug wires at the distributor the distributor moved about a quarter inch into the block. I have never seen this sort of thing happen. Ever. Thought I'd share it with you.
6b3cb585-afb3-4902.jpg

Back