• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axle to swap in?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
The d35 died in my MJ with stock tires. I am curious what axle I should swap in.

I know of the ford 8.8, but what else. Does the ford 8.8 have a good aftermarket following? Would I be better off with a D44 ?

summitlt said:
The d35 died in my MJ with stock tires.

Gee.....I wonder why?
moron.jpg

I would go D44.

Call Currie.

Rev

being realistic.. what are your intended future uses and purpose for this MJ? if it's just a DD and no intention of wheeling it why not just get another 35? a 29-spline (99-newer) 8.25 rear will serve you well as long as you dont want to go deeper than 4.56 gears. lots of guys will tell you the 8.8 is definately the way to go but if it's going to remain a stock daily driver it's probably not worth the effort to convert. but in all fairness any XJ axle will need to have the spring perches moved to match you MJs spring-under configuration.

it's all in what ou want.

my suggestions in this order:

D35
D44
Toyota
ford 9"

in light of REVs simultaneous post..

D44 at LEAST :repair:

around here it's cheaper to just to swap in an 8.8. it basically just requires cutting the old spring perches off and welding on new ones along with the shock mounts. they use the same bolt pattern and should be a dime a dozen at any junkyard.

andrew2516 said:
It would be nice to find a cheap D44 if you wheel. The D44 is strong and should almost be a direct bolt up.
Unless it's an MJ d44 then the only thing that will bolt up is the driveshaft to the yoke.

I would also go with the 8.8. Preferably one with disks out of a late model explorer.

Kejtar said:
Unless it's an MJ d44 then the only thing that will bolt up is the driveshaft to the yoke.
If it is a MJ D44 it will bolt right in. JIM.

A big thing is that it HAS to have the right bolt pattern. thats one thing I dont want to mess with.

In the future I will go bigger tires (probably just 30s) with a locker. So i dont want to deal with a nother 35/

i would aslo like to replace my 35 with and 8.8 in my mj. would it be any harder to set it up as a spring under then it would be spring over? because i've heard you can get more travel out of spring under then over. is that true?

no, you get the same amout of travel, but spring over will give you about 4" of lift if you were originally spring under

Kejtar said:
:confused: isn't that what I said?

Yeah...you just said it with a slight Eastern European accent. :D

At least THIS D-35 died from abuse, not just use. LOL
Seriuosly, though, I would agree with going for the 8.25 at the lightest duty, and the D-44 being the preferred choice.
Does anybody happen to know, off-hand, what the stock pad width is on the 8.8 spring under set-up? I guess that I may just have to drag my lazy back-side under one of the ones in the J-yard tomorrow at work.

Back