• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

well not working on my rig but did shocks/struts on my uncles camero, front breaks on my brothers xj, and tightened the power steering belt on my sisters car. All in all a great two days!

FrankZ steering successfully installed. Thanks Frank!

Didn't think to take new ball joints with me when we did the install this morning. Found that the lowers are shot on both sides. Guess I'll be doing them soon. :twak:

With money and time as tight as it is with me lately, I always seem to find excuses to do nothing and my Jeep is starting to show my lack of effort.
I started thinking about all the repairs and upgrades I could do to my Jeep under $50 and that if I would just complete at least one or two of these items per weekend, I would be caught up before I knew it.

50 projects under $50

1 install extended shackles parts on hand 1" boost $0.00
2 install front leveler pucks parts on hand 1" boost $0.00
3 install a factory battery tie down parts on hand $0.00
4 repair rear dome light parts on hand $0.00
5 relocate vaccum canister $5.00
6 finish rear flare fold properly $10.00
7 re-install grille and trim w/ new hardware $10.00
8 turn signal flasher $10.00
9 lube/fix/adjust door handles and latches $10.00
10 headlight rock guards (gay wire ones) $10.00
11 front diff service $20.00
12 rear diff service $20.00
13 new negative cable $20.00
14 rear wiper motor $20.00
15 repair rear washer $20.00
16 tuck and fold rear quarters $20.00
17 fix trailer wiring $20.00
18 led back up lights mounted in bumper $20.00
19 chase down oil leaks $20.00
20 repaint mirrors $20.00
21 temp gauge working $20.00
22 relocate brake lines $20.00
23 tidy up wires under dash/ hood $20.00
24 oil change $30.00
25 trans fluid change $30.00
26 e-brake working (rear discs installed) $30.00
27 repair center console or get new unit $30.00
28 fix horn $30.00
29 replace rear cargo carpet $30.00
30 gauge pod $30.00
31 ram mounts for gps, camera, etc $40.00
32 install new rear speakers $50.00
33 cb and antennae $50.00
34 radiator hoses $50.00
35 key cylinder $50.00
36 lower column shaft $50.00
37 sway bar disconnects installed properly $50.00
38 new drivers seat or repair track $50.00
39 led lights for my taillight boxes $50.00
40 repair muffler bracket $50.00
41 mount spare $50.00
42 mount jack $50.00
43 tank skid $50.00
44 mount some used fog lights $50.00
45 herculine rockers $50.00
46 reline front brakes $50.00
47 grease/ replace front bearings $50.00
48 install a steering brace $50.00
49 air gauge for compressor $50.00
50 ipod hookup $50.00

Totals $1,515.00 (about 70 hrs)

This of course doesn't include the other $4000 in parts that I want but it will keep me busy until I can get my income back up where it's supposed to be.

I guess there is always something that can be done to better your rig or your house or whatever if choose not to ignore it like I have done lately.

Anyone having a wrenching party soon?

Which heep is this? I can think of three, other than the one you took over Red Cone.

Anyway, some of those estimates seem high, but your estimate for #47 is way low for new parts.

So, what year are you working on?

Which heep is this? I can think of three, other than the one you took over Red Cone.

Anyway, some of those estimates seem high, but your estimate for #47 is way low for new parts.

So, what year are you working on?

This is the one I took over Red Cone, my blue 94. I've been buying and selling and trading xjs for the sole purpose of finding a decent driver for my wife but it hasn't happened yet. I can't ever see myself selling this blue one, it's been a great Jeep so far and it's a great platform to build from.

I know some of the estimates are high and some are low, I was just throwing a ballpark at it. As for the bearings, I was hoping to pack and install new seals but replacement might be necessary once I get them off and take a look.

Can't wait to start checking them off!

If you are willing to do the work, you can get the tank skid and all associated hardware for much less than $50. The U-Pull yard is your friend. :)

The front wheel bearings are sealed unitbearings, so they're pricey. If they aren't howling and don't have any play on them they are good.

Im working on getting money for an AJ's rear tire carrier, Super Squares, and a T&T crossmember/ t case skid..............AND some H1 double beadlocks/ 37" military Goodyear radials.

I had the money set, but then I went ahead and got me a '91 Grand wagoneer! God the addiction never ends :banghead:
ya can't go wrong with one of the old grands... they're bad ass.....and they look cool as hell when they're built!lil lift, winch bumper and winch, convert the system to howe injection... and you've got a beast from hell!!!:skull1:a guy I know from washington has one hell of a bad ass rig with a locker in the rear it's orange and white w/the arrow stripes down the side. kinda gives me some insperation of what I wanna build my xj like!

Last edited:
I finally fell off the fence. I was at the JY and saw a WJ with steering intact. When they rang up the steering, knuckles, rotors, calipers and brackets, I realized I was out half the price of a Frank_Z steering for used parts. Oh well! I'm off the fence.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure! Now you tell me. :)

I'll be nickle and dimin' this thing together. I have an extra axle to look work on while she drives the wheels off her station wagon.

Upgraded the factory radio with a newer factory radio.

Symphony II

DSCF0885.jpg

Symphony II+

IMG-20101223-00149.jpg

DSCF0889.jpg

IMG-20101223-00165.jpg

finally fixed my seat belt (free), fixed my oil leak ($5.00)on the filter adapter (thanks for the tips Yella)but still need to install a remote filter and a cooler on it. Then do the clutch job,put in a lock right, and have frank build some sliderz for me, that will probably be all I can afford for this years building up on the kind of money I'm making now.

Back