• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird problem with my grand cherokee

comancheon33

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee, it just started a weird steering issue. The closer you get to the steering lock it makes a grinding noise and kicks and bucks really hard. Not like normal for an all wheel drive.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? It sounds horrible.
Thanks

I was afraid of that. Where is this located? Could I possibly change the t-case model? I know I have the np249 but I go to a np242 or something else? I am a mechanic and dont wanna do this again. All I need to know is if I can upgrade rather than repair. If so what do I need to do so?

Try www.NAGCA.com They should be able to tell you if the swap is doable. JIM.

swap in a 242, all you really need is driveshafts from a 242 equipped ZJ w/ the same engine/tranny as yours.

if you're inclined to do so, swap the VC yourself. it's not the VC thats so expensive, it's labor that gets most people.

not terribly difficult, just get a good set of snapring pliers (internal and external)

Hold up a second guys it may not be the V/C. It all depends on whats doing the bucking and grinding. If it's in the stearing wheel then it's most likley the powerstearing pump going out, but if it feels like the jeep is binding in the drive line, and dosn't want to turn then its the V/C. If it is the V/C dieing, and you decide to go the swap route I would suggest the 242. The 242 retains the full time four wheel drive option without using a V/C thus it's more reliable. Also keep in mind the most likley reason tfor the use of the 249 was because the crappey a$$ alm. D44 couldn't reliably hold up to the duty of being to only driven axle with the 5.2ltr, and the fact that wet pavement and two wheel drive can be a PIA sometimes. So if you want to swap in the 242 you'll need the 242 T/C, the trim bezel for the consel, the wiring harness to make the display work, and (I'm not shure about the) drive shafts.

I have a 98 GC Limited 4.0L, Quadratrac, 56000 miles . I recently had the same problem. It turned out to be the CV joints in the front axles. Dealer replaced both and problem was cured. I have also heard the V.C. can do this too, but not as probable, at my mileage anyway. The mechanic and I took a ride to a asphalt parking lot and we started doing circles gradually going from full lock to straight. When the Grand reached a certain point you could really feel it catching and bucking. Not all GC's have the CV joints, some just axle joints. Hope this helps.

Back