• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Got my free Generator rebuilt and running like a champ.

The place I used to work was throwing it out because the engine 'locked up'. So I snagged it to see what was wrong with it since it was otherwise just fine.

I tore it apart about 6 months ago only to find out that the carburetor butterfly and screws had come loose and went into the intake. The butterfly itself held the intake valve open and cause it stop running, while the screws made their way into the combustion chamber and stop the piston from moving/pull cranking. I knew something wasnt quite right since the oil level was good, there were no holes in the block etc... Managed to straighten out the buttefly, found two more screws, and rebuilt the carb. The valve was not bent surprisingly....Meanwhile, I spent 13 bucks on a head gasket and spark plug, rebuilt the engine finally yesterday, and she fired up and purred on the first pull of the chord.

So, I basically have a $600 generator that runs perfect, for $13 bucks and a little time. Its a 5250 watt Porter Cable genny, so it will come in handy for the next hurricane/storm season. Just need to make up a disconnect box for tying into the main panel on my house. Yay!

~ Stump

IMG_20120322_103001.jpg

IMG_20120322_103018.jpg

made an underdash gauge pod for my neighbor's rat rod today.... not in the pic but i filled the center void too.... total investment 7$ and it looks like he got it out of the batmobile. ill get a pic of it installed tomorrow, he wanted to stagger exhaust tubing and mount it under the dash, the rest he left up to me on how to make it cool.....
IMAG0525.jpg

So i was planning on getting my jeep inspected tomorrow (its always an ordeal) but i lost my covers for my spotlights. Fortunately walmarts winter crap was on sale and i bought 2 beanies for 25 cents a PIECE!

Got home and the second i got out of the jeep my upper radiator hose exploded
531834_10150623307132957_556537956_9235093_1957179508_n.jpg

GRR
so i walked to advance and bought a new one then installed my sweet covers
544019_10150623307197957_556537956_9235094_847522044_n.jpg

539577_10150623307237957_556537956_9235095_1392860353_n.jpg

Sweet... what kind of rat rod is he building?

well its not that he's "building" a rat rod.... it has the rat rod mystique already. Its a 60's ford truck originally from hawaii that he pulled out of a field a few years ago and has been driving it to shows ever since. Its all bondo but its a fun truck and will do 80 down the highway without a problem (albeit screaming because of the powerglide). its got all nova running gear and a nova front frame section, chevy 350 and a powerglide. Ive done exhaust and a few other things for him, he mows the yard (he has a landscaping business) so its a win win for us.

heres a vid right after i got the exhaust done, it had a ghetto cobbled together exhaust, glasspacks welded straight to the collectors and pipe over pipe to make up for size differences. I did straight back true dual 2.5" all the way with flowmasters for him, sounds pretty good for a truck out of a field ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QgllNp-p70&feature=youtu.be

Talked to 2 buddies about the grounding connecting issues.

My buddy Jon suggested just running new grounds, leaving the existing ones, and running new ones just to be sure. He said it would only cost like $10 in parts, sounds good. Anything wrong with that plan?

Then checking the connections at the PCM and fuse box.

You can never have too many grounds!

Good time to upgrade while you're at it, if you can swing the cash. I went in and re-did all mine with 2 and 4ga welding cable a couple of years ago. If you don't have time to make your own, look at 5-90's cables. Seen nothing but good reviews from people on them.

To be honest, this has been my worst 2 week paycheck in over 8 months, I am in a serious bind and even little expenses are gonna kill me.

Also, my jeep is back to acting the hell up again, been fine since I did the Crank position sensor, now it doesn't want to idle at all again. I am achieving hair pulling.

Eric Schmitt To sum it all up, reset pcm, cranked right up. drove it around, check guages light came on, battery guage read 19 volts, i hit the gas again as I rounded the corner and it went away. drove home, let idle, light never came back on.
Cut the jeep off, went to recrank, nada, would go to power and light up, but when i turned the key past that all lights went out and nothing happened, cycled the key, it started but didn't want to run, drove it around, kept it idling, cut it off. Cranked right back up, drove around 5 or so miles, it didn't give me any issues, came back, cut it off and recranked twice without issue.

This is what went down this morning, I posted something on facebook last night about the jeep issues and it has like 40 freakin comments now so I have been discussing with everyone.

Basically last night jeep didn't wanna idle on its own, I wasn't feeling like XXXXing with it then so I waited till this am, that is what all happened. Any info anyone can gather from that, Id love to hear, without proper tools here I am unable to check for pressure at the fuel rail (Though thats a great idea) and I am unable to do a compression test, etc... at this time due to lack of tools. Im on night shift currently and going to bed.

Sounds very similar to what mine did when my battery connections got too dirty. I even went through the same spurt of a pegged out volt meter. That one left me on the side of I485 one summer morning for a few minutes until I took a shot in the dark and cleaned the connections...on the side of the highway.

It would give me hell wanting to crank up, and when it eventually did, it wouldn't idle at all. What was happening was due to a poor connection at the battery, the computer was basically doing a hard reset. Because of that hard reset, it became stupid and lost all it's parameters. I would have to help it along for the first few minutes before it remembered how to idle again (i.e. two foot it for the first few stop signs or traffic lights).

My Jeep is stupid picky about clean electrical connections. The slightest bit of corrosion, dirt, grime, or oil on any ground or the battery connections throws it into a temper tantrum. Sounds like yours may be related to mine!

I would start by going through all the grounds and your battery connections, and clean the hell out of them.

Connectors are good on the battery, I think my cables have seen better days though and fear they may be the cause.

Hate to do it, but if this continues I will just park the XJ until I am flush again, sucks because next weekend I have 2 wheeling events planned and was going to take the XJ to both. Have access to other vehicles, just the only one that gets over 10 mpg I took the tags off. Schweet Lol

Sounds like a crummy battery, wiring, or alt to me.

Mine did that due to a crummy alt that spent months not charging very well and killed the battery as a result.

So i was planning on getting my jeep inspected tomorrow (its always an ordeal) but i lost my covers for my spotlights. Fortunately walmarts winter crap was on sale and i bought 2 beanies for 25 cents a PIECE!

Got home and the second i got out of the jeep my upper radiator hose exploded
531834_10150623307132957_556537956_9235093_1957179508_n.jpg

GRR
so i walked to advance and bought a new one then installed my sweet covers
544019_10150623307197957_556537956_9235094_847522044_n.jpg

539577_10150623307237957_556537956_9235095_1392860353_n.jpg

I love being within walking distance of Auto parts stores...make slife so much easier when your jeep is being annoying.

Rewired my headlights using this as a guide. I substituted 8ga for the recommended 10ga cause that's what I had laying around. And I bought fittings to hook up a big plate style transmission cooler I snagged from the pullapart. I still need to make some brackets to mount it on the jeep, though.

I love being within walking distance of Auto parts stores...make slife so much easier when your jeep is being annoying.

Parts stores do have a tendency to show up just when you need them. I once flat towed a lifted '79 Bronco that had really bad negative(?) caster, i.e. 6" coils, no drop brackets for the radius arms, and factory c-bushings. I talked a buddy into sitting in the Bronco to turn the steering wheel so the thing would track through turns. We get about halfway home and the rag joint breaks going around a corner. Miraculously, there was an Oreilly's right across the street. Fixed it on the side of the road and made it the rest of the way without a problem.

Back