• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

web server help

Ok, I am missing a step here somewhere and cannot figure it out.

I have apache2 setup on my laptop
I currently have all ports from the router forwarded to this computer
I have an index.html page in my /var/www folder.
Clicking on the index.html brings up firefox and the basic page I parked there.
http://localhost brings up my working basic page
typing in my external IP address (confirmed from the router and whatsmyip.org) does not bring up the page. It times out.

Where is the hangup? I could see one pontential problem being that I have 2 machines on this network, this machine which is wireless, and the desktop which is hardwired. I need to verify that Apache2 is not running on the other as well. What else could it be? THis was just for a basic java script that displays the webcam output, which is pointed into my hedghogs cage.

Try having it listen on 8080 (or any other port) instead of 80. I know for a fact that Verizon Home DSL (and many others) block incoming port 80.

Then check on hostname:8080 or IP:8080 in your browser.

Also, many home routers will not do what you're expecting - if you try to talk to their external interface it's just going to go nowhere. Set your web browser up to use a free/open proxy and try connecting to your external IP, that should bounce the request off the proxy server out on the internet which will make it work for testing purposes.

Second on the ISP, mine scans the 80 ports regularly.

My bet is that + the fact that you're trying to connect to your own router's external IP, that aint gonna work without the trick I mentioned. I bashed my head against that problem for a long time back in 05 or so.

yea, I talk to my dad regulary on skype, usually about his wacky projects. I have been sending him my IP to try and see if it works, and he has yet to get something other than a server not found error. I can see the page tying local host or my inside IP, but by typing the external it is still a nogo.

I need to call AT&T tech to see if it is as mentioned above, and you have to pay to be able to run your own server. If so, no biggie, I have been looking for an excuse to cancel DSL service with them anyway. I want to change my Sat provider too.

You need to set up a port forward from your router's external interface to an inside address/port. Different routers call it different things (gaming ports, DMZ, etc.)

You need to set up a port forward from your router's external interface to an inside address/port. Different routers call it different things (gaming ports, DMZ, etc.)

My bad, I *assumed* he already did that...

He forwarded all ports to the system already (sheez, just saying that phrase "forwarded all ports" gives me chills, that is a really bad plan for system security usually) so I don't think that's the issue unless the router is some turd-o-riffic one. For example my westell 327w really sucked, it was impossibly annoying to use and the menus made no sense, it took me several tries to even figure out how to set up a port forward and they randomly failed to work properly.

First off there is no guess work when it comes to ports. Only the ports your apache server is configured to accept requests on will work. The default HTTP port is 80 so if you don't want specify it manualy all the time then setup apache accordingly and then check your router. If it still doesn't work plug your laptop directly into whatever cable/dsl etc modem you have and temporarily bypass your router. If it works you know the router is the issue. No need to forward all ports.
Since you said that http:\\localhost works then it probably already is listening on port 80 so it is probably your router or a software firewall type issue

Most routers do not allow a machine 'behind' the router (i.e. on the local area network) to access itself, or to access any other machine 'behind' the router using a domain name or WAN IP... The router gets confused by this.

Last edited:
I was too drunk last night to mess with it, Ill hardline into it later to see if that changes anything.

I have a feeling it comes down to either AT&Ts internet service blocking ports, or the silly dumbed down 2wire router they gave me doing it.

Edit: After a quick check I do not think the router is opening any ports. In DMZ plus my bittorrent client still says every port I check is closed. And if I switch to a user defined list it still says they are closed.

Take your router out of the equation for a minute - that will let you know if it is your ISP or the router itself.

Take your router out of the equation for a minute - that will let you know if it is your ISP or the router itself.

The problem is that the router is the modem, one of those gay 2wire setups with built in wireless and switch.

I did not get a chance to call, but since the rabbit just chewed through my laptop power cord (without dieing somehow, it was arching when stepped on it) I will probably be spending the next while wiring that back together. The little bastard does it on purpose I swear.

To be honest I have not had a chance to mess with it today between running errands and making charts and doing other work. Maybe after I get my cord spliced back together.

....sounds like it's wabbit season....

The problem is that the router is the modem, one of those gay 2wire setups with built in wireless and switch.

I did not get a chance to call, but since the rabbit just chewed through my laptop power cord (without dieing somehow, it was arching when stepped on it) I will probably be spending the next while wiring that back together. The little bastard does it on purpose I swear.

To be honest I have not had a chance to mess with it today between running errands and making charts and doing other work. Maybe after I get my cord spliced back together.

Go into the westell itself and turn the the firewall off completely.

Back