• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VHF radio mounting place

I almost never turn my radio on at home. For me the radios are all about the backcountry. I know what I need to do what I need to do.

I've got a little repeater in a box that I'm going to use for an upcoming motorcycle trip and SoCal Fest, more and more Jeepers are getting two meters here in CA since we deal with such large terrain.

Interesting. A simplex repeater, or Duplex?
146.52 or most often used most places I go, because of it being the call frequency. But that may not be practical because of traffic load for events.
Have you guys spoken to your regional VHF frequency coordinator to set up some standard frequencies for Off-Road?

I run 146.585 as my / the chapter's standard simplex frequency. I stay off .520, to me that's for folks who just want to make contact.

The repeater is a simple simplex store and forward repeater. I plan to run it as duplux for my MC event so people don't have to hear so much repetition if they're close enough to hear both input and output. All it consists of is a 20mm ammo can, a car battery, an FT-1900, the control box, a 30w solar panel, and an antenna.

I have a small introduction thanks to team naxja 4643 repeater. I'd like to make some time to install and start studying, but I feel like a slave as of late.

Mounted both mine to the roof to leave room for the passenger legs.
image_zps034c8bfd.jpg

This doesn't look like a god place to mount these radio's.
image_zps034c8bfd.jpg

I can't even sit in a jeep that flopped hard onto a mountain.I hit my head now being bent down driving it, i am sure it would have knocked the crap out of me.

I am tall.But that looks like it is just to low me

Looks pretty clean.

One piece of contructive crit.
I think the Microphones are a problem. Maybe easy to use, but I've been on trails where everthing that is in the vehicle better be tied down or it will eventually smack you when you don't need it to. I'd get some screw on mic clips and dump the bungee.

Personally, I am not a fan of overhead mounting.
To each their own though. If it works for you, cool :)

Last edited:
The mice are on hooks usually only use one radio at an event so I tuck the other one up it is way better than a mic sitting on your lap always falling to the floor and your passenger hitting your radio with their legs.

So I ended up placing mine between the visors. I moved my CB to the passenger side of the center console. I'll get some pics when I'm home, but you get the idea anyway. Unfortunately the angle that it's at makes it hard to read the entire display, but i've had to put up with worse.

Back