• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Gorrilla blog

So in the immediate future Ill be switching up the rear suspension.
Im looking at doing rancho 1.5" leafs or OME 2" HD leafs and some no lift shackle relocators. I have four or five sets of different shackles to tryout.
I also have some thoughts of making my own revolver style shackles with a locking pin.

Revolvers are pistols, not suspension components. Can't say I'm a big fan.

I know. Everybody hates them. These will deffinately not be like the teraflex ones that everyone is familiar with. I will start with a regular shackle first. Also looking at the boostworks shackles possibly.

Last edited:
here is my question: when the second shackle droops or unloads it seems like it would shoot the pinion way up and only make axle wrap worsE? is that true?

It doesnt rotate the axle really. The axle is still attatched via the front bolt. It still pivots on the same ark motion just more of it. Once the shackle is fully dropped then the same forces are at work as a single shackle. I would deffinately be building a traction bar to counter any axle wrap for sure.

These would also have a locking feature so on the street or light trails it would act like a single shackle. Im a try it and figure it out kind of person.

Last edited:
OK well ill keep quiet and let you do it. And I totally forgot you already had dodge van mains. Very cool. Well you have it figured out pretty well then.

Thought you'd dig dem boatsides
DSCF1540.jpg

^^one of my favorite builds. the pics of it crawling through Arizona got me itching for a road trip

not sure if you mentioned in previous comments, but when are those big axles going in? I wanna see you giving it hell at a place like moonrocks or fordyce

That thing is dope.

Those axles are still in the decision making faze at this point. I have to find a way to souce all the parts for that stage and then it will go together quickly. But more than likely next year. Im still debating doing a 14bolt front with the 70 outers. Just seams cost would be a determining factor there. I have a feeling ill go back to the original plan and stick with the 70 as i already have it and its geared.

I have a huge list of stuff that needs to get done before that including a flat belly, boatsides, swap in the ax15 231 d300 combo and have that all sorted before i start working on those axles. Im also purchasing wilbur soon so that is another expense for this season. I have all the materials for that list. Just trying to enjoy this season and then dive in this winter. Probably start up the mods again in november after our reno trip.

Some time next year i will also be moving to nevada. Not sure where yet but i have been doing some research and the family is on board. So before the start of next school year we will likely be neveda residence. Just need to look a bit more into the job market in my field. I would be either bring my company there or start a new one.

Im also thinking of starting up my guitar business again to generate some more cash flow.

why did you want to do a combo front axle again? have you looked into doing D50 outters on a 14b?
can't wait to see this thing built up

he already has a built 70 front with 5.13s and he can just weld it or lock it up . I think the 70 inner Cs are massive too which is nice. Otherwise, ya, it would be a good call to do 14b center chunk with the cheaper 50 outers which are the same as the 60...

wait he has a D70 front and was thinking about turning it into a 14/70bolt? why..

guess I'll have to read back a couple pages and see if I can figure it out lol

I think he is sticking with the 70 for that reason...

Tim was whispering the duel 14bolt plan in my ear at sierra fest. So i started doing some research. Was getting pretty stoked on it but my buddy talked some sence into me. I dont want to spend the extra time and money to retube and machine parts for an axle that is only a little stronger than what i already have. The front 70 inner knuckles are massive as well are the tubes and i could easily shave almost three inches off the bottom of this thing. And quite a bit off the top as well. I think ill be fine going with the 70. Its already geared to 5.13s. Just need to get new from the spindles out and stub hubs. Will probably lincoln lock it as well. So super cheap and it will be done.

Tim was whispering the duel 14bolt plan in my ear at sierra fest. So i started doing some research. Was getting pretty stoked on it but my buddy talked some sence into me. I dont want to spend the extra time and money to retube and machine parts for an axle that is only a little stronger than what i already have. The front 70 inner knuckles are massive as well are the tubes and i could easily shave almost three inches off the bottom of this thing. And quite a bit off the top as well. I think ill be fine going with the 70. Its already geared to 5.13s. Just need to get new from the spindles out and stub hubs. Will probably lincoln lock it as well. So super cheap and it will be done.

you can always switch it up after wheeling it that way for a couple of years. there is a dude selling a d70 front end for 1700$ on CL so you could always sell it...

Stroker and deep gears is probably it. 37 is as big as i ever see this rig going. Id start it differently if i was going bigger than that.

Maybe a buggy build in my future. I have a 4door shell and a spare 4.0 motor. All the rest is build as at that point. Find a sm465 and a d300 and break out the sawzall. I may have just brainstormed my next project. I would need a tow rig first though.

37 is as big as i ever see this rig going. Id start it differently if i was going bigger than that.

I said that too when I started my build. but now 40's seem more awesomer :gag:

a stroker is in my future too. but first it's cage, 4 link, better tcase... yada yada
here we are planning our 37" tire builds and somewhere in the world Alans jeep is sitting on 42's giving zero ****s

Back