• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

used car salesman RANT

2455941157_72b03dba75.jpg

Next time deal with someone who has the authority to make a decision. A sales person can't hold a vehicle. They are fine to deal with once your on the lot, but to hold a vehicle when most people are more full of shit then the salespeople, what would you expect. Always speak to the Desk(Salesmanager, G.S.M, or G.M) they won't normally make that mistake, and if they do, you can at least bitch at the owner. I would not buy a Ford 6.0l unless it is still under the 5/100 engine Warranty, once all the issues are repaired they are great, but if you get a hold of one that has some of the problems left, you will want to slit you wrist later on.

crazyjim said:

I have to start it!

So what is foreign these days? I know my 2008 Sequoia has more $ going to the US market (and pays more US paychecks of those building or manufacturing) then that ford or a chevy does...

Well I found a lot of good ford deisel 4x4 F250 and F350s lately, when I looked. My buddy Rich just picked up a 2006 4x4 F250 short bed crew w 32K on it for 24K$. and daym is that thing loaded.

You should go down to a BIG ford (ok or dodge) dealer and see what they have on lot in used, and just start haggling. You know the market is so bad for a big truck right now that they are going for like 40% less then they were a yr and a half ago.

I would go find one, haggle, then LEAVE! go home go on edmunds.com and look at true market value for that truck in your area, then go back with it printed in hand, then tell him you want X amount less then what it shows and you will take it off thier hands... the wrost you will get is a rebutle price.

Good luck Chris...

ROBERTK said:
I have to start it!

So what is foreign these days? I know my 2008 Sequoia has more $ going to the US market (and pays more US paychecks of those building or manufacturing) then that ford or a chevy does...

I would like to know how you have come to that conclusion. Even though a lot of Foreign Vehicles are built here, the profits still leave this country. At least our domestic glass towers are in this Country.

You are right about the huge drop in value of full size trucks, it's crazy and I would doubt you will ever see this again. It is the best time to take advantage of this, and the only time that might get better is Dec when everyone needs to drop there Used Car inventories and the book value change takes place. I would not necessarily go to the Bigger Dealerships, I would hunt at the dealers who are hurting the most. There are only two profitable Ford stores in all of O.C,(Luckily I work at one) the rest are bleeding.

Look in the SoCal for sale forum, my '96 F250 is listed there. This truck is bullet proof. Very few folks consider the Cummins a better motor than the Ford 7.3, moslty the folks who go for pure power. The Cummins can be modded for more maximum power than the Ford since the Powerstroke is limited in max power by the high pressure oil injection system.......which works very well for everyday use. The 7.3 is tough, and regularly goes over 500k. Most also consider the Ford truck itself to have better long term durability than the Dodge. An old body style Ford Powerstoke is a pretty sure bet........I have two of them. :)

And I really need to sell one. Mine is in very good condition, plenty of upgrades, the tranny is fresh with heavy duty and performance upgrades (3k spent on trans), I installed an intercooler to keep the EGT's down, and gauges. I hate to sell this truck, it's by far my favorite truck I've ever owned.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244010017#post244010017

I can also talk about used car salesmen, but I don't have time right now. :D

Oh, and I don't worry about the miles on these trucks, the one I'm replacing this one with has 187k on it right now. Check the valve cover cap for blow by, and if it's just a few wisps it's fine. If it puffs, run away as fast as you can.

Last edited:
FordGuy said:
ROBERTK said:
I have to start it!

I would like to know how you have come to that conclusion. Even though a lot of Foreign Vehicles are built here, the profits still leave this country. At least our domestic glass towers are in this Country.

Yep, more money in to the shareholders and presidents pocket with the big three here in US. More money in to US work force (design,manufacturing, assembly ect)with toyota. rather give to the blue collar crowd, but yes the big wigs in japan that get the big profits are not in the US.

In any case.
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4 Dr Lariat 4WD Crew Cab SB
tmv_pricing_horiz_blue_141x24.gif
Trade-InPrivate PartyDealer RetailNational Base Price$15,507$17,977$19,841Optional Equipment$3,729$4,295$5,250Camper/Towing Package$131$151$184Automatic Locking Hubs$57$65$80Automatic Climate Control$293$337$4126.0L Turbocharged Diesel V8 OHV 32V FI Engine$1,569$1,808$2,2105-Speed Automatic Transmission$459$529$646Trailer Hitch$54$62$76Power Adjustable Pedals$37$43$52King Ranch Package$980$1,129$1,380Limited Slip Differential (Rear)$92$106$130Power Horizontal Sliding Rear Window$57$65$80Color Adjustment
White$-5$-5$-6Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code 92886$50$58$64Mileage Adjustment
36,000 miles$482$482$482Condition Adjustment
Clean$0$0$0Total$19,763$22,807$25,631

SO bascially you can go get (if you found this exact truck that is) Fords best, highest optioned, nicest ride out there in a 250 for about 22K at a dealer right now. Take off the king ranch package and your in your 20K range!

OK that didnt paste very well... haha

Basically every option that you would want adn then some in a locaed 4x4 F250 for dealer sug retail of 25K and offer 22,000$....

Last edited:
Goatman is right about the old 7.3, they never quit. The trans was the only issue they ever had. The other good thing about the 7.3 is you can repair them at a decent cost, Heads on a 6.0l installed is 7k.

I was dealing with the "internet sales manager" from the get go and while calling the main number asked each time for the"man in charge", this TJ character was that guy. I was not able to talk to anybody else about that particular truck, which I did not really worry about....at the time. Why would you place an internet sales ad if you are not going to let somebody come and look at the damn thing without a small bit of security that it would be there, two hours is not a long time??? how does that work? I am going to try and track down the actual owner of the franchise and have a nice chat with him about good ol' TJ, I already filed a complaint with the bbb, the ad for the truck is still up and yet it is long gone, trying to lure another sucker down there I wonder? Note it says verified to be available as of 8/19:(:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ced=y&default_sort=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=

He assured me more than once that the truck was mine. I worried about it the whole drive and tried to get there as soon as possible but...I guess it was not in the cards.

Every single Dodge dealer that I went to did not have ONE single used 2500 diesel 4x4, and I hit a bunch down there, one dealer even said I do not even know where to send you except the internet. I am aware of the trans issues with the dodges but there are so many guys out there that have over 500k miles on their trucks, that is what I am looking for, whether or not I can hold out for the next "perfect" Dodge remains to bee seen, I am actually starting to browse at fords a bit more, the low resale value sort of scares me though.

I went to a shady little office in anaheim also that REEKED of currie and had huge green flies buzzing around, some huge fat troll threw me the keys to another Dodge, I go out there and the thing is leaking oil all over, had some super hokey lift kit on it with a drop trackbar bracket that was literally in contact with the dif cover at ride height, and the column was busted as it was a prior bank repo, I ran away fast.

In all my research, The Dodge cummins is the hardest to find. There are TONS of Fords and Chevys for sale right now, which worries me a bit. I have a buddy who has a 2007 Duramax, that thing has been in the shop moer than on the road, I may be interested in an older dmax but not likely unless it is a smoking deal.

i think the reason their are far more chevy's and fords on the market is because they sell more then the dodge.... i see a lot more Fords than anything else on the job site (construction) we have owned nothing but ford trucks... i have a 97 OBS gasser even with 280k+ miles on it and its still running strong

i woudnt shy away from a 7.3L.. they are easier to find and will hold up better than the dodge or chevy... the MPG wont be as good as the cummins but the trucks are better...

if you stick to the SD version 99-03 7.3L you should be good.. i found a bunch for under 15k

Stealth said:
i think the reason their are far more chevy's and fords on the market is because they sell more then the dodge.... i see a lot more Fords than anything else on the job site (construction) we have owned nothing but ford trucks... i have a 97 OBS gasser even with 280k+ miles on it and its still running strong

i woudnt shy away from a 7.3L.. they are easier to find and will hold up better than the dodge or chevy... the MPG wont be as good as the cummins but the trucks are better...

if you stick to the SD version 99-03 7.3L you should be good.. i found a bunch for under 15k
hmmm, good info. There are so many opinions out there but they all seem to be similar to what Cracker stated(and you reinforced), that summed it up pretty good. I sent an email to Goatman, I would prefer to give my hard earned cash to somebody that is trusted, and he seems to be the guy. I have another car to drive around so I am not hurting for a truck, just very antsy.

Thanks a bunch guys, I actually feel a bit better, I was really bummed out yesterday but things will work out if I don't rush into anything. Any more advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated, I am very new to the diesel thing.
Chris

Call me, I'm on vacation and leaving in a few minutes for a week.

661-706-1600

If you decided on a Ford, don't worry about this one, plenty of guys around here have seen this truck. And, yes, I'm anxious to sell it.......

You have to go easy on the throttle though, it'll light up the back tires. This is the best running OBS truck I've ever driven. :)

Skullvarian said:
hmmm, good info. There are so many opinions out there but they all seem to be similar to what Cracker stated(and you reinforced), that summed it up pretty good. I sent an email to Goatman, I would prefer to give my hard earned cash to somebody that is trusted, and he seems to be the guy. I have another car to drive around so I am not hurting for a truck, just very antsy.

Thanks a bunch guys, I actually feel a bit better, I was really bummed out yesterday but things will work out if I don't rush into anything. Any more advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated, I am very new to the diesel thing.
Chris

np bud.. im actually searching for my 3rd powerstroke... im actually gonna try and go with a 05 6.0L

the 6.0l have been given a bad rap because of the earlier years but they are very good engines once you fix the known issue... which are head studs and EGR....

you can usually get the studs changed through warranty work (labor only) you supply the ARP studs (around 500 bucks)... You can also Delete the EGR for very cheap... just need to pull it out and weld a lil...

if you go with a 94.5-97 PSD you can easily mod it to be very reliable... they are actually cheaper to upgrade stuff like injectors than the 99-03 7.3L... a custom tuned chip will do wonders to make them come a live...

Pm me if you have any questions bud...ill be more than happy to help on your search for a diesel truck

-Raul

Stealth said:
np bud.. im actually searching for my 3rd powerstroke... im actually gonna try and go with a 05 6.0L

the 6.0l have been given a bad rap because of the earlier years but they are very good engines once you fix the known issue... which are head studs and EGR....

you can usually get the studs changed through warranty work (labor only) you supply the ARP studs (around 500 bucks)... You can also Delete the EGR for very cheap... just need to pull it out and weld a lil...

if you go with a 94.5-97 PSD you can easily mod it to be very reliable... they are actually cheaper to upgrade stuff like injectors than the 99-03 7.3L... a custom tuned chip will do wonders to make them come a live...

Pm me if you have any questions bud...ill be more than happy to help on your search for a diesel truck

-Raul

A little heads up on the ARP studs, They don't fix anything and are a complete waste of money. It is not a clamp force issue, It is a Head gasket design problem and/or cylinder head design problem.
We have done hundreds and hundreds of 6.0l head repairs, and many already had the ARP studs. We just end up redoing the repair correctly and then the only repeating issues are oil cooler and EGR.

Stealth said:
k... just going off of info that my buddy gave me on the 6.0L(ford diesel tech) said first thing to do is the studs and egr delete....

The EGR's are a pain in the ass, but I have not seen any long term info yet on the delete. What I do know is a new engine is 16k, so I am hesitant to do something that is not proved to have durability.

great discussion guys! I have never owned a diesel truck so it is great to hear from guys that do/have.

At this point I am still thinking a Dodge would be my best bet(although Goatmans Ford is VERY nice), and have found a possible in Phoenix area so...on to my next question, is there ANY possible issue with registering a 2001 ram 2500 diesel in Ca that is currently Az registered? I can't really forsee any problems but I'm sure you more experienced diesel guys would know. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks a bunch guys, you are an invaluable resource, my membership dues have payed for themselves many many times over!

FordGuy said:
A little heads up on the ARP studs, They don't fix anything and are a complete waste of money. It is not a clamp force issue, It is a Head gasket design problem and/or cylinder head design problem.
We have done hundreds and hundreds of 6.0l head repairs, and many already had the ARP studs. We just end up redoing the repair correctly and then the only repeating issues are oil cooler and EGR.

Got off the phone with Goat and he said that the issues with the head gasket are mostly results from chipping and boosting the power. Leaving it stock almost eliminates the issue. He also mentioned that Ford redesigned the head gasket.

Skullvarian said:
great discussion guys! I have never owned a diesel truck so it is great to hear from guys that do/have.

At this point I am still thinking a Dodge would be my best bet(although Goatmans Ford is VERY nice), and have found a possible in Phoenix area so...on to my next question, is there ANY possible issue with registering a 2001 ram 2500 diesel in Ca that is currently Az registered? I can't really forsee any problems but I'm sure you more experienced diesel guys would know. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks a bunch guys, you are an invaluable resource, my membership dues have payed for themselves many many times over!

Brave man getting a Dodge. I could never do it. Good luck and get AAA Premium :thumbup:

That sounds alot like the old bait and switch. If the dude knew he had another buyer then he broke the law when he told you it's yours. I'd contact a lawyer and pinch the dealership for a nice little settlement.

cracker said:
Brave man getting a Dodge. I could never do it. Good luck and get AAA Premium :thumbup:
you know, all I can do is research as I can't go out and simultaneously own and drive them all. And from my extensive research the Dodge issues are something I can live with, and just sort of pigheaded all around so once I make up my mind, is takes an act of god to change it:) I have buddies of buddies who have the dodge diesel trucks and have yet to hear of any of them having problems, yet. I hear you and I do appreciate your input!

I am a jeep owner, of course I have AAA premium, how the heck else am I going to tow all my junker projects around? but anyways if my Dodge takes a crap, you guys will be the first to know about it, that I can guarantee.

Back