• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading seats... which ones?

XJcrazy

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had much luck with a direct swap of there front seats? I was thinking Recaro or Mastercraft... Any advice or ideas? My front driver seat mounting bracket broke yesterday...Thanks.

I love the Corbeau Forzas. Take some getting used to, but they are extremely well made (black vinyl). The mounts are also direct bolt-ins, but can be easily modified to tie into a cage. If you're a larger person (i.e. 38 inch waist or larger), the Forza II is wider.

;)

well, after another close inspection it was the metal frame of the seat that broke... not the mounting frame... so either a new seat bottom or new seats...Rats I do like the Corbuea seats... Looks like a well made seat.

If you can afford MasterCraft seats those are the ones run. My brother is running Corbeau's and he says they are no where close to the quality and comfort af MasterCrafts. But they cost more.

I have some Corbeau's and like them. They are one of the only seats my back is comfortable in during long trips. I can wheel all day long, and not have a tired back. I got the smaller version because I have a semi small waist line of 36. The larger seats Im not sure how well they would fit inside the cherokee. My dad has a waist line of about 40ish, and he fits in the seats fine, but it is a bit snug. My only real complaint is that the mounting bracket makes the seat sit 1'' higher then stock. I sometimes have a problem with hitting my head on the ceiling.

has anyone ever swapped seats from a different car?
My brother had a ranger with seats out of a cougar in it. Was a good fit in there.

I ran the pep boys specials(seats; black viny)l up front in my trooper and I plan to swap them in my xj soon. They are far from the best seat but they are comfy for me, look good, and they are about 150 each.

I put in the cheap corbeau seats I just made a simple bracket out of angle bolted with 1/2" bolts. but its leaning back to far to be very comfortable but I drove back from utah (1500 miles) it wasent to bad the only bad thing is it only comes up to the bottom of my neck I am 6' 4" so I am looking for another one.

NSW Sparky said:
I put in the cheap corbeau seats I just made a simple bracket out of angle bolted with 1/2" bolts. but its leaning back to far to be very comfortable but I drove back from utah (1500 miles) it wasent to bad the only bad thing is it only comes up to the bottom of my neck I am 6' 4" so I am looking for another one.

This is the reason I went with the Forzas. The head rest almost touches the headliner on the Forzas. You should definitely go to a shop that will let you test fit them. I don't think you'll be disappointed! ;)

Pic:

2z3td3r.jpg

i have front and rear wj seats in my xj...the front are bolt in on the factory xj brackets...the rear was a little more difficult but it fits nice
n33801372_30510015_59.jpg

n33801372_30510014_9233.jpg

Last edited:
First you have to remove all of the factory rear seat

the back rest has three mounting poinits the two outerones mount just like they do in the wj...the middle bracket is flipped so that it is sitting flat

for the base you need to bolt it in to the crossmember and then right around the wheel wells you need to trim the plastic to fight

the foam is such that it is wedged in and the back rest has all its own components for a fliping

im watching my local craigslist for a good price on a set of corbeau's/recaros/sparcos/brides/etc....
preferably of the non-taiwan type...

needless to say, there are deals to be made if you dont care

the stocks seats have got to go, back pain sucks

Look at Hunsaker Sports. They are not overly expensive and you can order them at a discount per pair.

The factory power seats in my XJ have pretty much bit the dust. I've got only about 50% function out of them, and I'm looking at replacing them with the seats out of either a MX-7 or older Daytona. (don't have cash available for fancy seat replacements....) How would I go about fabricating the brackets for these?? Or should I try and track down some XJ non-power seats (pretty damn hard to find around here....)

Sorry for the hi-jack :pirate1:....

for older XJs (93)....which seats should I look for?

I know that the brackets won't fit without some work...but thats fine.

Need some better support!

I would love to take the recaros out of my vw and put then in my xj, but they would be a little too low for me in the cherokee.

Are zj seats direct swap in 92 xj's. My local scrapyard has a few with nice comfy looking seats in them still.

Anyone have more info on the Hunsakers? I'm still stuck in iraq but I'm considering having some installed while i'm still here so i have something cushy for my tushy once i'm finished sitting in these HMMWV seats!

Back