• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible front seat swaps - measurements?

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
Im considering swapping my front seats; mainly the passenger side. I’ve read the ZJ/WJ seats are supposed to fit, but i’d like to find another option.

Coming from the Volvo xc70 platform cars, i’d like to try swapping a pair of them in. With these seats, i get the option to fold flat (main reason i want to swap). I would also get power, heat, and side airbags (most likely useless). And a much more comfortable seat with heavier side bolsters. Leg room under the steering wheel should improve in theory and i should be able to get more rearward movement.

Can anyone verify the factory seat dimensions? Are there power passenger seats in the XJ platform or from another jeep that i can maybe source at the boneyard to match up?

If it works out, it may be worth looking into a rear seat swap to match from another Volvo (this nets more comfortable seats again, potential rear seat heaters, and built in seat belts plus folding headrests)

codename 99 problems: Daily driver/tow rig build thread

Volvo-XC70-2004-1600-32.jpg

I put zj seats in my xj had to use the xj seat bracket only thing was the zj seats sit a little higher than the xj seats did.fwiw.

The rear seats are probably a tall order. Are you looking for those to fold flat, or the front seats?

If the fronts, I think the Patriot/Compass had a fold flat front passenger seat, like the Caliber. Not sure they're comfortable enough to swap in.

Getting the side airbags to work sounds like it will take a lot of effort too.

I vaguely remember seeing an XJ with Chevy Trailblazer front and rear seats swapped in, so something just as out there has been done.

The rear seats are probably a tall order. Are you looking for those to fold flat, or the front seats?

If the fronts, I think the Patriot/Compass had a fold flat front passenger seat, like the Caliber. Not sure they're comfortable enough to swap in.

Getting the side airbags to work sounds like it will take a lot of effort too.

I vaguely remember seeing an XJ with Chevy Trailblazer front and rear seats swapped in, so something just as out there has been done.

Fold flat for front passenger side and the rear seats. Driver seat i could care less about fold flag and really only interested in matching passenger side. Added benefit of a real head rest (volvo whips system), more comfort, heat are the other factors for the fronts.

Rear seats, with modification to brackets (or grafting the volvo seat brackets in) should in theory fold flat. The bottoms on them are hinged at the front and flip forward or can be removed. Having 60:40 or 40:20:40 split would be added bonus, along with the rear headrests and built in seat belts.

Waiting to hear from a buddy on measurements for the volvo seats. What im not sure of with the rears is if back will fold flat into storage well under the factory seat bottom. Volvo seats to fold flat require folding the rear headrest, flipping seat bottom forward, and then flipping the seat back down. There may not be enough clearence with the center console in the jeep to do that

Yes, some xjs came with power seats, my 95 has them. Just because you swap in a seat with the ability to fold flat dosent mean it will, the rear seat is really close, you will probably hit it unless your Volvo seats are short.

Yes, some xjs came with power seats, my 95 has them. Just because you swap in a seat with the ability to fold flat dosent mean it will, the rear seat is really close, you will probably hit it unless your Volvo seats are short.

Rear seats are a thought, not necessary but id like to see if they fit to match. Im not too hopeful though.

I have a power driver seat and manual passenger seat in the front, looks like it was ordered that way from factory. I think if i get just the seat bottom and back from the volvo seats i can meld them in with the XJ power bases and get creative with wiring for heat and power.

Back