• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ughh! Converting to the open cooling system

The smaller size (1.5 qt) works perfectly. I mounted it in the same location as the stock bottle, with the holder mounted onto the firewall.

Well, I was having serious cooling issues. I either tested or replaced everything involved in the cooling system-except the block itself. Got it down to needing some radiator love. I decided to just spend the $144 at Radiatorbarn.com and got a heavy duty 3 core shipped, got it in 3 days. 5-90, I have great respect for you and I am very happy you have had good luck with the closed system. I however have not. I decided to convert to open for several reasons. Was on my 4th bottle in as many years...Two from dealer, one from O'Reilley, and one got online...don't remember where. All of them seemed to harden and developed cracks. I am also not comfortable at all having a big bottle of questionable integrity filled with pressurized boiling coolant. I can use the space dedicated to the bottle for something else...Just haven’t decided what yet, but lots of possibilities. Temps are now ~200 with AC on as apposed to ~230 with heater control valve open. Have not had a chance to get stuck in traffic yet but on my 50 mile each way commute over the last 3 days it has done great in the 80°-90° temps. Now I just need to put the thermostat back in to get it to temps a bit faster. I didn't replace the heater control valve, I just ran a bypass where the bottle was. I will replace it before winter, as not much coolant gets to the heater core as is.

'90 4.0 AW4 AC Converted to open coolin.

langer1 said:
King fish you still need a overflow bottle mounted somewhere.

Yea, I have one temporarily mounted where the bottle was. Will be getting a slightly smaller one to tuck between the air box and the fender. The 2.5Q generic from Advanced Auto (Parts America) fits there fine but is a little too tall.

'90 4.0 AW4 AC Converted to open coolin.

Last edited:
When converting to an open system you can maintain the stock fan swtch easily. Just have a local radiator shop cut the threaded bung from the old closed radiator and braze it into the new, and improved, open style radiator using the same location on the radiator side tank. Mine is the two wire style and it works the same as it did prior to the swap.

I also went with the generic $10 overflow bottle that mounts where to old football tank was mounted. Looks stock, and has lasted 4 years now, double what I was getting with the closed system tanks. I know I'll probably get flamed for this one, but I also think the Red Line watter wetter helps keep the temps down in the summer months. That stuff actually seems to work, and it is fairly cheap so I figured why not. Good Luck

Woody

Back