• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing my entire cooling system

For your current situation, I'd forego the timing chain. Just another thing to go wrong in a race against time. However, definitely check the timing chain cover bolts. They are known for coming loose. A bunch of them were hand-loose on my XJ.

Also, you should only use distilled water or anti-freeze that's pre-mixed with water. Tap water is bad for the cooling system, so after you get the cooling system back together, the first thing I'd do is flush with distilled water and then either use pre-mixed anti-freeze or refill with distilled water and straight anti-freeze.

I was going to get started on the Power Steering Pump today and this happened. The PS pulley came off with the shaft in it and I can't get it off for the life of me. I was going to use the original PS pulley on the new pump. I rented and OEM PS pulley puller from AutoZone but it doesn't seem to hit and I can get any leverage to get it off. Any suggestions?

I guess I will replace the radiator tomorrow and the silicone hosing and then do the PS pump after.

I had the same scenario with my power steering pulley. I actually broke three rented bearing pullers before I just bought a new pulley. I could get traction on the pulley, but it was so seized the cheap bolt the puller runs on would strip out before removing the pulley. The only new pulley I could find locally was a Dorman made in China, but it’s up and running. There are some NOS OEM pulleys on EBay.

Good luck!

Back