• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to figure out a cooling system.

1991Jeep_Man

NAXJA Forum User
I have been working for months now designing a new type of engine. Now, it isn't one of those space age engines with spherical pistons and what not (I'm just trying to improve what we have, not radically replace it), however even though it uses pistons, the process in which it makes its power is redesigned and very much improved.

Anyways, my issue is this. I am almost 100% done (after several re-models) with the cooling system. My last issue is water pump location and function. I am lost. I have been stuck on this same friggin problem for about a month now, and the entire rotating assembly didn't even take me that long. Here is the water pump design I am trying to work with:

waterpump.jpg

How does this type of WP pump coolant through the system? Is the impeller in a sealed chamber in the block, with an inlet from the radiator in the bottom of the chamber that the blades 'suck' from, then force through an outlet in the top of said chamber? Most of my knowledge involves water pumps like an XJ uses; centrifugal with an inlet that receives coolant directly over the center of the impeller, then the impeller throws the coolant out of the sides via centrifugal force. I seriously appreciate any help at all. I am so close to getting this done. Thanks!

the coolant is drawn up in the center and pushed toward the outside. That's a lot like the pump on my Trans am, it'll have a divider plater in the timing cover.

Here's a pontiac timing cover if that helps it make sense.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL90019/?rtype=10

The water comes into the back section through the radiator hose on the left, goes through the center of the divider plate, and pushed out those two holes going straight back into the block.

The impeller needs to be about 0.050-0.070" from the divider plate.

Last edited:
This has got to be a BS thread! You say you designed a engine,but you dont even know how a water pump works!!! Good luck,let us know how it works out for you(only when your done).

Back