• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming on the back for a 4 door?

jeepinandy said:
Yes you will have to put something on there after you get it welded back...
and welding it back will distort the metal if not done properly

I do, I would like to see some pictures

Thanks

If you use just sealant on that, your unibody will become messed up. Once you cut past the unibody the integrety of the body will decrease in that area. Weld it up, and your all good. Find a friend who has a welder, or go to a club meeting and ask who would be willing to weld it up for a six pack.

When I did mine, I really had no idea what I was doing. I jumped right in and started cutting. Considering how I did it, I think it turned out really well. I have a 2 door, so its a bit different especially in the front of the fender.

Heres what I started with. Flexed with 4.5'' of lift on 32'' MTRs. Not full flex, but only pic I have.
Picture173.jpg

Rear quarter panels bent up and welded. The back of the fender is started to be cut.
Fendercuthalf.jpg

Before I had cut and hammered to the pinch seam. I unbent them to but cut off. You can see the line drawn in the mud where I hoped I would end up.
IM002342.jpg

Heres a pic of it welded halfway. When you start to weld, buff off the outside paint too. I forgot that small little detail and you can see where the paint caught on fire. Opps.
Cutweldedclose.jpg

Pics of my awsome welding skill. If I would do it again, I would only do 2 relief cuts per side. I did so many, and it was a pain to weld all of them up.
IM002361.jpg

Insideboggerwelds.jpg

Finished but unpainted
CindysBday008.jpg

Painted and all done.
CindysBday015.jpg

edit: Sorry, my pics got messed up. Hope this helped some.

littlebluexj said:
i cut the intire(sp)penchseam out of the rear of mine so i could run 35's on a 4.5in. lift. just go to homedepo and by outside expanding foam that you put over your outside water facets in the winter.ill get pics if you need them

Post up those pictures, details, I want to seee details, sounds like a great idea

Your unibody should be fine. Mine's been cut for a while with no problems.

eqv8ub.jpg

eqv8xy.jpg

I cut about 1/2-1" higher than you did, then just used a BFH to mash the inner and outer fenders together. Didn't bother welding, there's only a few small spots an inch or two long and maybe 1/8" wide, and nothing has gotten in there yet but water. I drilled a few drain holes behind the rear bumper at the bottom of the inner well and it all works fine.

Then again, as you can see, I'm not all about looks either ;)

Painted and all done.
CindysBday015.jpg

Have you noticed any adverse effects to cutting and folding the rear lower quarter panels? I'm really interested in doing this because I always seem to hit them.

Thanks for the Rock Lizard trimming link. They say to cut the rear fenders, but I see just about everyone making relief cuts and then pounding the tabs over. That way you can also really hammer away and probably get even a little higher than the weld if you hammer it and don't cut it. I need a little more trimming in the back now that I went with 37's over my 35's.

Troy

No affects, but I did weld them, and it looks like its stronger then stock. I have been pulled over twice since I cut them because of the lack of flairs, but its understandable. Theres a 4 foot rooster tail when I drive on wet roads :)

Back