• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transimission cooler

rokit5

NAXJA Forum User
Im having a hard time finding out what the circulation route is for the aw4 transmission.
I have a 1997 xj.
Some say the trans line coming from the top of the radiator pushes the fluid to the tranny.
Is this true?

one way to find out. Take one loose and start it up for a few seconds!

a few easy steps
1.when your engine is cold start it up.
2.grab both tranny lines.
3. the one that gets hot first is the one from the tranny, the other one is the return line.

Ok so i disconnected the bottom trans line from the radiator.
Had the child start the engine.
And the fluid from that hose blasted all over the place. lol
Then after saying to turn it off she puts it in drive and runs me over. lol
Is that hose the one to hook the tranny cooler in line with?
Or the upper.

Im using the cooler in tandem with the radiator.
So whats better, running the cooler after the radiator or before it?

I ran mine air cooler, then transmission cooler. Everything I've read says the trans needs a little heat(160-170 deg) for best performance. I've never measured it, but since the inlet temp of the engine coolant into the radiator is 205-210 deg, the outlet temp has to be substantially below that. Pushing the trans fluid into the radiator after the air cooler shouldn't heat the fluid over 170 or so unless the engine is overheating.

Ended up running the tranny cooler after it runs thru the radiator. Either way itl be runnin cooler. Next i'll need to install a temp gauge. I was going to get one and put it in while i was installing the cooler, but the local parts store priced $160. Told em id pass on that. lol

So far no leaks, and the install was easier than i expected.

Thanks everyone for the input:yelclap:

I hooked up one of those cheap mechanical temp gauges from the parts store by getting a pipe elbow with barbed fittings and putting it inline with the hot line coming from the transmission.

Back