• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler question

wilky87

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my radiator and the lower trans cooler fitting wasnt bent enough, causing it to hit metal on the body. In the process of trying to bend it to fit, a scratch was put into the flair. The only thing I could find that would work to replace it, was zinc coated copper tubing. Is this tubing ok for this application? Because the bend was so severe, there was a small kink put into the tube. Is this ok as well? I could blow air through it without any issue.

Here it is installed

fitting.jpg

You shouldn't bend tube with your hands/other stuff - always use a tubing bender. You can get roller benders and spring coil benders at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle for a VERY reasonable price, there is almost no reason not to use them (once you know to... I did my first few brake lines without them :scared:)

the guy at the parts store said i can swap out the radiator which would give me a new fitting.. i think i might just do that. Any tips on collecting and reusing the coolant?

If you kinked it and can still swap the radiator, that's what I'd do. I have a big plastic tub for draining differentials, trannies, etc. that I would clean real good to collect coolant and reuse.

the problem is that the radius is so small that the tubing bender wont do it

The spring/coil benders will do the short jobs, or buy a longer piece of tubing, put in your bend, then cut and flare.

You can fill the tubing with sand and bend it with some success, but not with steel lines.

Got the radiator replaced but now the heat sensor is leaking. I put some rtv on the gasket portion of it and I'm letting it cure. I'll see what happens. The threads on the radiator seem kind of crooked so It may be defective. I really hope I don't have to swap it out again

Last edited:
If it doesn't leak any more, is the rtv an acceptable fix? or is it something that probably wont last? I'm not sure if its an issue with the radiator or not. What do you guys think?

Back