• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Cooler... has anyone experimented with....?

The 4.0 or the AW4?

I'm pretty sure normal operating range of an AW4 is somewhere between 170-180*F?

Dexron is OK at 200* for extended periods, anything over 230 is pushing it for the long term, short temp spikes to that temp will not hurt. Anything above 250 is impending trans doom due to the fluid breaking down rapidly.

yea my transmission was overheating the same under full loads or towing my flatbed with the toys on it, thought it was a bad one so i went to Aamco.... transmission experts my ass! they just conned me into getting a rebuild for $3000 and then there was no difference, when i told them i was pissed they recommended i install another $500...

take into account that this was before i knew that much about my cherokee, anyways after the cooler was installed poorly with leaky lines and bad electrical that almost cost me an engine fire, it does still overheat and i cant really do that much about it but flip the fan on and make sure the shifter is in third gear to keep the rpms in one place

its basicly the shifting that heats up the clutch plates and causes the overheating, anyways, never use aamco!

Back